champagne reef

boilermom

We just walked off the ship and arranged for one of the taxis to take us and pick us up at a specified time. It was very easy!

If you are interested in seeing/doing other things, you could make it part of a tour, also.

cinnam0n,

What was the taxi rate to the reef and How was the snorkeling there? How long did you stayed there

Paul

Just be advised that if you take a taxi to Champagne reef, that the beach is not sand covered. It is covered with rocks of all shapes and sizes. It's a little hard to walk on. You need to walk a few hundred feet to get to the reef where the bubbles are. In my opinion, if I were ever to do this again, I would hire a catamaran tour. That way, you snorkel right from the boat, and do not need to go near the beach at all.

I'm a little fuzzy on the taxi rate (it's been a while), but I'm thinking it was 5 or 6 dollars a person. Snorkeling is EXCELLENT! - not to be missed. We were there less than two hours, but got our fill.

choochella, I don't know how recently you were there, but in February they

completed a boardwalk which takes you about 75% of the way out to where you snorkel. I would still wear water shoes or sneakers, but it really isn't a problem anymore.

We were there over a year ago and also walked on all of the rocks, but I also saw where they had built a boardwalk (probably after witnessing my distress in getting to the reef!!) we found the snorkeling to be wonderful - unfortunately, DH did not have all of the air out of the bag for our underwater digital, so we got just a few good photos. It is a neat spot.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

we kinda did the same thing with the camera. we weren't used to the underwater case yet. we forgot the dessicant packets....ooops. the water insantly fogged the inside of the case.

as far as getting there...we did the rocky walk. i had read "stony beach", i imagined sand with some stones 2-4 inches in it. not a "beach" full of rocks that i'd have to pay big money for to have in my garden here in chicago and no sand to speak of.

but, the ocean was a bit rough the day we were there (our hopes of snorkeling anywhere else were dashed). so, entering from the beach was a bit of a trick with the big rocks and heavy waves beating you toward them. we just had to dive into a wave and swim. but, man, it was worth it. i don 't know if we got to the "right" places, not a lot of fish, but the formations on the ocean floor and the bubbles were increadible!

a water enterance may be easier. but the beach works well, too.

Does anyone have pictures of the Champagne reef area??

We're 4 travelling, one isnt not a "swimmer". Im trying to get a visual of the rocky beach area into the reef area..... hmmmm Im guessing if you're not a swimmer it might not be for you??

If anyone that has been can clarify would be appreciated!

Does anyone have pictures of the Champagne reef area??

We're 4 travelling, one isnt not a "swimmer". Im trying to get a visual of the rocky beach area into the reef area..... hmmmm Im guessing if you're not a swimmer it might not be for you??

If anyone that has been can clarify would be appreciated!

I only have underwater pictures & a movie of the bubbles but the size of the file is too large to send. The Champagne Reef is wonderful!! I've visited it on 2 occasions. One with a ship excursion using a boat & the other time from the shore. If you go from the shore it is very rocky but manageable & much cheaper than the excursion. They charge you a $3 National Park fee to use the beach but it is worth it. I would not recommend this trip for a novice snorkeler or non-swimmer. There were more fish to see on the first trip but I got great video including sound of bubbles from the reef on the second trip. Highly recommended site!!

Regards,

Cory Lynn

• 3 weeks later...
I only have underwater pictures & a movie of the bubbles but the size of the file is too large to send. The Champagne Reef is wonderful!! I've visited it on 2 occasions. One with a ship excursion using a boat & the other time from the shore. If you go from the shore it is very rocky but manageable & much cheaper than the excursion. They charge you a $3 National Park fee to use the beach but it is worth it. I would not recommend this trip for a novice snorkeler or non-swimmer. There were more fish to see on the first trip but I got great video including sound of bubbles from the reef on the second trip. Highly recommended site!!

Regards,

Cory Lynn

Interested in video of Cham. Reef. I spent one week diving there July 2006 and did not get any pics at the reef, my email is listed in my profile.

Thank you

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Dominica before but I never snorkeled there. Actually, my only experience has been at a Disney water park! We will be there in Feb and I have reserved a snorkeling trip through Princess to the Champagne Reef. I have some concerns and need some honest opinions and information. I can swim and used to swim in the ocean when I was younger. As I have gotten older, though, I don't really like going in deep water. However, I will float around in the lake with a life vest on with no problem. Also, I had shoulder surgery in Sept. My physical therapist said I should be OK to snorkel by that time as long as it is fairly calm water and I am wearing a snorkel vest and am just casually swimming - meaning, not trying to quickly swim bearing all of my body weight.

So...Are the waters fairly calm there? I watched the video on youtube but couldn't tell how deep it was. About how deep is it? Are you always given a vest and does is provide the same amount of "float" as a regular life jacket? If you are snorkeling from a boat, is it OK to stay fairly close to it if you are unsure? If we don't do the snorkeling through Princess, is there snorkeling equipment at Champagne Reef to rent? How much does it cost? If you go to the end of the pier to snorkel, about how deep is it there?

I REALLY do want to snorkel on this cruise, but I guess I need some detailed info to get myself psyched up to do it. I appreciate all the info anyone can give me.

• 1 month later...

We were in Dominica on the 12/2 Explorer - did AL dive - they were great! My 2 sons 23 & 15 did scuba - I went along as a snorklerer - although I can't see to snorkle w/out glasses - did swim around to see champagne reef - sons loved it - one of the boat helpers went down and brought a sea urchin for me to see - unfortunately the waters were cloudy for me - underwater was better - Samantha picked us up at the pier - she can't park right by the pier so we walked a block to her car where she stopped a panhandler from begging from us - I highly recommend them - her husband was very thorough w/ training for the boys as the younger had never tried scuba before - Dominica is beautiful and we saw many rainbows!

we were in Dominica on Carnival Destiny on 20/11/07 and had the pleasure of visiting champayne. There is a very cool dive shop called Irie Safari located at the begining of the board walk. There is dive and snokel equipment available for rent as well as certified dive masters.They offer scuba and discover scuba courses. My 14 year old son raved about the discover scuba course.:)

They were wonderful, professional and I highly recommend them. Here is their contact info...iriesafari@cwdom.com

No facilities at all - nothing is there except the new boardwalk put in to help people get to the water from shore

Hi - that's not true! As a local who enjoys a visit to Champagne once in a while (but not enough!) I can say there are most def. facilities - places to rent equipment, change, have a drink etc.

Hi - that's not true! As a local who enjoys a visit to Champagne once in a while (but not enough!) I can say there are most def. facilities - places to rent equipment, change, have a drink etc.

I agree. There are equipment rental at the beginning of the trial. The reef has great view of versatile fishes. It is our favorite spot compared to the falls.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived