Mariner of the Seas Restaurants

Any comments or preferences on Mariners "surcharge" restaurants. Is it worth it? What's your favorite? I heard great things about Portofino's and Chopsticks!

Kruisin' Kim:)

The two surcharge restaurants on the Mariner are Portofino and Johnny Rockets.

For $20.00 per person' date=' at Portofino, you will get a great multi course meal. It is well worth the charge, and tip is included. Following is their current menu. It should help you to make a decision.

[b']Appetizers, Soups, Salads[/b]

Carpaccio Con Scaglie Di Parmigiano- Thinly sliced seared tenderloin with a salad of shaved fennel, argula and sun-dried tomatoes, finished with lemon-infused olive oil and roasted pine seeds

Risotto Ai Gamberetti- Tiger shrimp sauteed with fresh herbs on a bed of creamy saffron risotto

Insalata Caprese- Vine ripened yellow and red teardrop tomatoes with baby boccocini, basil, and red onion

Zuppa Gran Farro – Tradional Tuscan bean soup with barley pearls and garlic crostini

Zuppa Fredda Di Pomodori E Peperoni Dolci Con Capesante Ed Avocado - Chilled plum tomato and pepper soup with seared scallops and avocado

Zuppa Del Giorno - Soup of the day

Insalata Di Pere E Gorgonzola - Mesclun greens, crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, slices of crip pears and roasted candied walnuts served with house dressing

Insalata All Cesare - Romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan, herb croutons, and traditional dressing. Prepared a la minute in the dining room

Melanzane ripieni di ricotta e spinaci alla parmigiana – eggplant roulades filled with spinach and ricolla, parmesan style

Insalata di petto di anatra affumiciata – sliced smoked duck over arugula and field mushroom confit with parmesan shaving and olive oil drizzle

Calamari friti alla liqure – with white balsamic romaine dip and tomato, black olive and pine nut salsa

Pasta

Penne alla caminetto – penne pasta with beef ragu, plum tomatoes and garlic confit finished with shaved parmesan and fresh parsley

Pappardelle Mantecate Con Crema Marscaponem, Funghi Arrosto E Timo- Ribbon pasta with roasted mushrooms and fresh thyme, lightly tossed in a marscapone cream sauce

Spaghetti di mare – shrimp, bay scallops, squid and mussels in garlic herb sauce tossed with spaghetti and grape tomatoes

Main Courses

Gamberoni Cotti In Padella Al Profumo Di Mare- Tiger shrimp, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, served on a bed of grilled asparagus and baby vegetables

Saltimbocca Alla Romana- Thinly sliced veal wrapped with fresh sage and prosciutto, pan-friend with porcini mushroom risotto and Marsala jus

Filetto Di Manzo Alla Piastra- Girlled North American beef tenderloin on creamy truffle mashed potatoes, roasted and carmelized garlic and seasonal vegetables

Filetto de Halibut alla grigla – grilled fillet of Atlantic halibut over a citrus crab and shrimp risotto finished with salsa verde and lemon butter sauce

Spiedino du frutti di mare alla Toscana – skewers of Maine lobster, gamberoni, scallops and salmon grilled and served with Ligurian potatoes and sun dried tomato beurre blanc

Petto di pollo marinato con ebbe di campo salsa scarpiccio – herb marinated skin on chicken breast baked crispy accompanied by golden shallots, baby vegetables and scarpiccio sauce

Cheeses

Scelta Di Formaggi Assortiti- A samping of Italian cheeses

Johnny Rockets is a hamburger joint. There is a $3.95 fee to eat there. If you are a Crown & Anchor member, you should receive a coupon for a free mealin your coupon book. Soft drinks and shakes are an additional charge.

The two surcharge restaurants on the Mariner are Portofino and Johnny Rockets.

Mariner also has Chops.

I can't really comment on the food as I've never eaten in the specialty restaurants except for Johnny Rocket's- though I'm not sure I'd call J.R.s a specialty restaurant. I have no problem with the food that I've already paid for and feel no reason to try the other places.

The surcharge for Johnny Rockets is only $3.95 per person, and includes all food and some drinks; you'll pay extra for sodas and shakes. It seemed like a great deal to us; on shore, we can't eat at McD's for that.

If there was an Asian restaurant on board, I missed it. :confused: You might be thinking about Chops -- or the Asian section of the Windjammer buffet, which is nothing to write home about.

I didn't eat at Portofino's or Chops, but heard great things about them. The $20 surcharge seems very reasonable to me; where on land would you be able to eat at a nice restaurant for that?

Thanks for the info. I may be wrong on the name' date=' but I was told that there is an Asian restaurant and each night is a different "theme", ie: chinese, japanese, thai, etc... anyone know about this?:cool: Kim[/quote']

You are referring to Jade which is part of the Windjammer buffet, and not a specialty restaurant by itself. The food is just OK, from what I have heard.

Both "specialty restaurants' are good. However, RCI used to offer the same fare in the dining room at no additional charge! It kind of irks me that they have "dumbed down" the food in the dining room and now make you pay extra if you want what USED to be included!

Only a small fraction of the passengers actually use these restaurants, most of them being CC members!

Mariner also has Chops.

I can't really comment on the food as I've never eaten in the specialty restaurants except for Johnny Rocket's- though I'm not sure I'd call J.R.s a specialty restaurant. I have no problem with the food that I've already paid for and feel no reason to try the other places.

It's not a "problem" with the food....it's that sometimes I don't feel like dining with 2100 other people and 400 waiters running around in a very noisy room-Chops & Portifinos are about romance,service,a table by the window with a view of the ocean-that doesn't sound like it's worth $20??? The food & ambiance in the main dining room are OK-but it is not even close to Chops or Portifinos...everyone should take their spouse/significant other to either one or both,IMO...not to at least try it, is foolish-let's see..shrimp cocktail,salad,a 9 ounce filet or 16 ounce NY strip,potatoe,veggies,dessert & coffee all for $20-sounds pretty cheap to me.....the meal is worth $75-100 at any other Steakhouse..we will be on the Liberty Nov.10-we plan to dine at least 2-3 times in C & P....try it-ypu'll love it!!

Big Al

Last year in Chops on the Mariner we had terrible service. Food was okay, but not worth the $20 charge! We had a large group and everyone was disappointed.

I was on the Mariner last year too,and we had a GREAT time & meal-service was so good,I e-mailed RCI to tell them how wonderful it was....food terrific as well and we both thought it was a $75-100 meal(not worth $20???Denny's is $20!!) JUST THE VIEWS OF THE SEA AT OUR TABLE WERE WORTH $20.......

Big Al

You are going to LOVE the Mariner! We soo want to go back.

The two specialty restaurants (as others have mentioned) are Chops (steakhouse) and Portofinos (Italian).

We ate at both. Portofinos was our favorite but Chops was excellent as well!

If you eat at Portofinos, I highly recommend the goat cheese souffle! YUMMY

Chops has a ton of food! The baked potatoes are as big as your head!

We ate in Portifiinos and loved it. We were seated at a window, which was really nice scenery while pulling out of port and the sun setting. Be sure to make your reservations as soon as you get on board, as they fill up rather quickly.

We also ate at Johnny Rockets. The food was good. Hamburger was smaller, but not a real issue, than I had expected. Onion rings were a nice change of pace. Entertainment was cute too.

Archived