Taking food on and off board

So a question came up today as we're planning for our next cruise.

I know that there are restrictions on taking some food items on and off the ship - like not taking fresh produce off with you when you disembark in the US.

Is there any restriction on nalgene-type water bottles? That is, if I fill up a water bottle on board and want to take it with me on a shore excursion, or fill it up on shore and want to bring it back on the ship, will they let me?

I'll probably bring one ANYWAY as it's nice to have a big bottle of ice water (or other cold beverage) by the pool, but wondered if I have to limit the on/off trips to sealed containers.

Anyone have any insights? I'm assuming it may also be port dependent, so a reference to port import/export rules would be helpful also.

Thanks!

A water bottle is fine. We always bring water bottles, fill them with ice and water and enjoy them for the day.

You can also bring pre-packaged food items on and off without a problem, such as granola bars, prepackaged cheese and crackers, etc.

Water is not a problem--it's veggies, fruit and meat, that most countries frown upon.

Thanks for the insights - cb and others.

That's what I thought, but remembered the big table full of stuff people had wanted to take off the ship and had second thoughts about the HUGE fines...

Archived