No viewfinder !!

Annieeee

Hi

Practically all new digital cameras, the smaller ones, have no viewfinder. I have a hard time finding the subject on the lcd when trying to take a pic outside on a sunny day, esp when the sun is behind me. Does anyone else have trouble or am I the only camera dummy? I have tried and tried to find a small camera with a viewfinder. I know that there are a few out there but I want a really small one, like the Pentax Optio s5i. I have searched ebay and other places online to try and locate a new one, but no luck so far.

Thanks for any answers.

Annieeee

Hi Annieeee,

I couldn't agree any more with regarding the need for an optical view finder on a camera. Call me "old fashion."

Canon seems to have quite a few compact digital cameras with optical viewfinders and they get good reviews, too. You can also check any number of digital camera sites. DPReview has a compare feature which lets you set the various features you want in a camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

About 3/4s way down the page, you can state that you want an Optical View Finder (or an electronic or TTL or "doesn't matter".)

Good luck with your search.

- Stoney

Hi

Practically all new digital cameras, the smaller ones, have no viewfinder. I have a hard time finding the subject on the lcd when trying to take a pic outside on a sunny day, esp when the sun is behind me. Does anyone else have trouble or am I the only camera dummy? I have tried and tried to find a small camera with a viewfinder. I know that there are a few out there but I want a really small one, like the Pentax Optio s5i. I have searched ebay and other places online to try and locate a new one, but no luck so far.

Thanks for any answers.

Annieeee

Hi Annieeee,

I thought Cannon had a few models that still have a small Viewfinder.

Thank you Stoney.

I went to the site and there are a few ultra compacts that do have viewfinders. I am going to have to go to Best Buy and have a look at it. I want a really small camera. I did buy a nice Olympus in January, and even got the underwater housing for it. But it has no viewfinder and I find it difficult to use outside in the bright sunlight. I have to wonder how many other people miss having the viewfinder.

Hi Vince!

Yes you are correct, Canon has a couple and will be going to check them out.

Annieeee

Thank you Stoney.

I went to the site and there are a few ultra compacts that do have viewfinders. I am going to have to go to Best Buy and have a look at it. I want a really small camera. I did buy a nice Olympus in January, and even got the underwater housing for it. But it has no viewfinder and I find it difficult to use outside in the bright sunlight. I have to wonder how many other people miss having the viewfinder.

Hi Vince!

Yes you are correct, Canon has a couple and will be going to check them out.

Annieeee

Annieeee, They make a really good small camera and for a little more money you can get the ones with IS "Image Stabilization" which work better in low light.

My 24x7 camera is a Canon SD800IS. I has a viewfinder and a very nice LCD. Nice enough that I use the viewfinder just about never. It's image stabilized and produces great images.

Here's a day at sea that I used the SD almost exclusively: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20074a

The SD870 just replaced it (no viewfinder + larger LCD) and you can find them on sal near the $300 mark.

Dave

I have the Pentax Optio S7 and it's got no viewfinder. Before this camera I had the Pentax Optio S4i (i'm a fan of the camera ;)) and it did have a viewfinder - but I never used it. I like to use the screen so as not to 'cut heads off' lol! Perhaps you can find an S4i on ebay?

I don't use the viewfinder on my Canon SD700IS. My trouble with using the viewfinder is with the compacts, you get a pretty bad paralax error (I think that's right) The viewfinder is roughly an inch away from the actual lens, so when you take portraits and such it doesn't work out very well (at least for me) I generally don't have trouble seeing the LCD in daylight.

My 24x7 camera is a Canon SD800IS. I has a viewfinder and a very nice LCD. Nice enough that I use the viewfinder just about never. It's image stabilized and produces great images.

Here's a day at sea that I used the SD almost exclusively: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/pacnw20074a

The SD870 just replaced it (no viewfinder + larger LCD) and you can find them on sal near the $300 mark.

Dave

I agree with Dave, I have the SD850IS (the major difference is mine is not the wide-angle, it is 35-140mm & 8.0 MP; the SD800IS is 28-105mm & 7.1 MP).

The MP difference is pretty much irrelevant, you would just have to decide if you want the wide-angle. I fretted over this decision, and had reasons to go either way. It really depends on your typical shooting and how much you want to fit in the frame. If you do a lot of group photos or wide landscapes, you'll want the SD800IS wide-angle. If you want more zooming-in, you'll get a bit more with SD850IS.

I really love this camera, it is simple to use from the first day you get it, and the photo quality is excellent. You can check out these cameras and many others at dpreview dot com. They even have a buying guide (look on left side menu) where you can select "feature search" and it will return a list of all models which fit your requirements. Or, you can select "side-by-side" and compare models selected.

Good luck!

-- Renée

There are still a number of 'compacts' with optical viewfinders (really, they should just be called 'aiming windows' since they transmit nothing of what you are seeing through the lens), and a few of the slightly more full-featured P&S that have Electronic Viewfinders.

But as far as true ultra-compacts go, you really only have two choices left - the Canon SD series and the Sony W series. Both are the same dimensions, and qualify as true ULTRA-Compacts - measuring 3.6"x2.4"x1" or less.

Fortunately, both are excellent series of cameras. You'd do fine with either one - excellent picture quality for a compact camera, great LCD screens that are viewable in almost all lighting scenarios, backup optical viewfinders if needed, and both ranging from 6 to 12MP with image stabilization.

Some models of Casio's EX-Z series...such as the 850, still have a very small optical viewfinder.

Most other manufacturers have committed fully to LCD as the sole method of shooting. And for the most part, LCD technology has gotten good enough that you can see them most of the time. Note that some of the better manufacturers use very high resolution LCDs, and often with coated surfaces to cut back on glare. Sony models, some Panasonic models, and some Canon models use these hi-res coated LCD screens.

Also - there are a few LCD screens out there with an interesting technology called 'transreflective' screens (I have such an LCD on my ultra-compact Sony L1, a very small camera no longer in production). These screens are great because they have the ability to be seen without backlighting, making them viewable in direct sunlight. The LCDs have three modes - off, off with transreflective, and on (backlit). The transreflective mode doesn't show all the color as well, but all detail can be clearly seen in a sort-of B&W mode, even if you were to shine a flashlight directly at it. Think of it sort of like a digital watch display with the LED numbers. Some current Sony models use these transreflective screens in lieu of an optical viewfinder.

You can't go wrong today with most of the major brands - the Casio, Sony, or Canon models above would each perform wonderfully and reliably, and should deliver photos and prints that would satisfy all but the most avid professional.

I have to wonder how many other people miss having the viewfinder.

More than you know or realize, and usually too late -

the camera's already been bought!

Leaving out the viewfinder is a cost-cutting measure

that shall eventually backfire on the camera manufacturers.

It's started to do that already, hence this thread.

Too late do people realize that a (battery-killing) screen

is quite useless on a brightly lit beach,

and in any number of other photo-taking situations in real life.

My suggestion is to refuse any camera without a viewfinder

and let the guy at the camera store know why you're refusing it!

Your next camera must have a peep-sight...or no sale, sorry!

Due to my poor eye sight at close range, can not really see the LCD screen on most cameras, but I have no problems using and seeing through the view finders. The nice thing with my Fuji S5000 it is an electronic view finder and it is the same as the LCD screen.

Enjoy

Hi

Thanks for any answers.

Annieeee

While I am not looking for a really small camera (as long as it fits in my pocket) I will not buy a camera without a viewfinder unless it is a specialty camera (my waterproof camera does not have a view finder which is no big deal, since I cannot use the view finder under water). I rarely use the water proof camera (Pentax W30) out of the water.

I was on Labadee at the end of June. I took two cameras with me. One was the Pentax and the other is a Canon A620 (7.1 MP camera with a four to one zoom that fits in my pocket and has a view finder). I used the Canon for taking the zip line photos then returned to the ship, put the Canon away and used the water proof camera the rest of the time.

In addition I also have a Nikon 8 MP with an eight to one zoom (and a view finder). However, I don't take it on cruises with me because it will not fit in my pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at Sony,,and Canon,,finally decided on Canon,,mainly because I have an older one,,& because of the memory being less $$ I wanted to spend in the $250 range,,can someone tell me the main difference between these cameras,,and why investing in the 800 850 would be advisable,,also I want an ultra compact..THANKS so much

I've been looking at Sony,,and Canon,,finally decided on Canon,,mainly because I have an older one,,& because of the memory being less $$ I wanted to spend in the $250 range,,can someone tell me the main difference between these cameras,,and why investing in the 800 850 would be advisable,,also I want an ultra compact..THANKS so much

The 800 has a wider-angle zoom than the 850 28mm eq. vs. 35mm eq. - a bit better for groups and landscapes. The 850 has a 3" screen to the 800's 2½" screen. Both take excellent pictures and both are stabilized.

No loser. If you feel you need the wider angle, go for the 800 (I did!) but if you want the larger screen, go for the 850.

Dave

The 800 has a wider-angle zoom than the 850 28mm eq. vs. 35mm eq. - a bit better for groups and landscapes. The 850 has a 3" screen to the 800's 2½" screen. Both take excellent pictures and both are stabilized.

No loser. If you feel you need the wider angle, go for the 800 (I did!) but if you want the larger screen, go for the 850.

Dave

Well, how about the Canon 825? It has a 31.5mm eq. lens and a 2 3/4" screen. However, I don't know how stable it is, many of the Canon 825s have been seen in mental hospitals.

One piece of knowledge is the Sony cameras use their own memory cards, which only work in Sony cameras.

Good point!

Though it should be noted that this only applies to their compact and superzoom digicams. Their DSLR models both use CF at their prime storage. The Olympus and Fuji cameras use xD Picture Cards which aren't as widely available as SD and CF. SD cards aren't all created equal either. Cameras that can use the new 4GB and 8GB SDHC cards will accrpt 2GB and smaller SD cards, but not the other way around. Check your manual before buying an SD card larger than 2GB.

Dave

Dave

Dave -- You know I am a big fan...but, respectfully, I need to make a correction regarding the 850. It has the 2½" screen, along with the viewfinder. It is the newer 870 which loses the viewfinder to accomodate the 3" screen.

I have the 850 and love it (though I seriously considered the 800). Best price out there for an 850 is just about $300 right now. The 800 can be found for about $285. The 870 is only out a few weeks and best price is about $365.

Note, I'm in the midst of posting about a nice sale on SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD cards. Office Depot will have them for $19.99 Sunday and Monday (09/30 and 10/01; rest of week is $29.99, which is still a good price vs. list).

-- Renée

Dave -- You know I am a big fan...but, respectfully, I need to make a correction regarding the 850. It has the 2½" screen, along with the viewfinder. It is the newer 870 which loses the viewfinder to accomodate the 3" screen.

It takes a big person to admit when they are wrong...SO ADMIT IT!

YOU'RE WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!:mad:

Kidding, of course...You are correct. The 850 is the replacement for the 700 and the 870 replaces the 800. Canon's model numbering has always baffled me! In Europe, they are the 950 and 860 Ixus respectively!:eek:

Nice catch!

[quote name=jrw;11823574Note' date=' I'm in the midst of posting about a nice sale on SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD cards. Office Depot will have them for $19.99 Sunday and Monday (09/30 and 10/01; rest of week is $29.99, which is still a good price vs. list).

-- Renée[/quote]

I was walking through Costco today and they have the Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD for $24.99 and the 4GB Ultra II CF for $54.99. I may have to pick one more 2GB SD at Office Depot though. That's too good to pass up!.

Thanks!

Dave

It takes a big person to admit when they are wrong...SO ADMIT IT!

YOU'RE WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!:mad:

Kidding, of course...You are correct. The 850 is the replacement for the 700 and the 870 replaces the 800. Canon's model numbering has always baffled me! In Europe, they are the 950 and 860 Ixus respectively!:eek:

Nice catch!

I was walking through Costco today and they have the Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD for $24.99 and the 4GB Ultra II CF for $54.99. I may have to pick one more 2GB SD at Office Depot though. That's too good to pass up!.

Thanks!

Dave

LOL :) Canon sure does have VERY confusing numbering. I would not have caught it if I didn't have the 850.

I went to Circuit City today because last Sunday I bought 2 cards for $29.99 each...plus another item THEY have on sale this week. I know Circuit City does the "110% of the difference" price guarantee (brought the Office Depot ad with me), so I figured I'd cash in on the 2 cards ($11 each) AND the other item ($5). I was due a $28-something refund (including tax portion), so I figured if they are honoring that price PLUS the extra 10% of the difference, that brings the cards to $18.99! I picked up 3 MORE -- could not resist at that price! :D

-- Renée

Cameras that can use the new 4GB and 8GB SDHC cards will accrpt 2GB and smaller SD cards, but not the other way around. Check your manual before buying an SD card larger than 2GB.

Dave

Well of course not the other way around. The contacts are on only one side of the card. If you put the card in the other way around, the camera has no way of communicating with the card. :D

More than you know or realize, and usually too late -

the camera's already been bought!

Too late do people realize that a (battery-killing) screen

is quite useless on a brightly lit beach,

and in any number of other photo-taking situations in real life.

My suggestion is to refuse any camera without a viewfinder

and let the guy at the camera store know why you're refusing it!

Your next camera must have a peep-sight...or no sale, sorry!

i hate not having a viewfinder...call me nuts....and i had to find a camera with one that was situated so i wouldn't get a noseprint on the screen! :D

but i must admit (and i mean no offense to anyone here) that i love watching people try to line up shots in the screen with their arms fully extended moving the camera up and down....then they take 87 shots of the same thing cause it's all blurry!! heeheehee :D (i am really warped!)

Archived