Anyone been on this cruise?

ohmissfl

I went on my first cruise last March--did the Western Carribean and loved it. Now there are about seven of us looking into next April on Grandeur of the Seas going to Cozumel, Grand Caymman, Aruba and Puerto Rico. I've been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman but not Aruba and Puerto Rico--the price is right but would like to hear from some people that have been there--did you like it? Was it fun? Thanks for any input...

I haven't been on that specific cruise you are talking about but I have been to Puerto Rico and Aruba. I absolutely loved Aruba....it's really a desert island with tons of cacti and sand and rock. I am not the biggest fan of Puerto Rico - however, I would do a rainforest tour the next time I was there. DH and I didn't do anything and really didn't like San Juan too much. But that was just us. I say if the price is right and you liked the other ports then go ahead and do it...plus, if you haven't been to Puerto Rico and Aruba then give it a shot and see how you like it for yourself!

Have to concur with the previous poster, Aruba is absolutely our *favourite* island...we always take a taxy from the pier to the Radisson, and then park ourselves on the beach all day. There are people there to rent umbrellas and loungers, which is good...there's also a tiki hut selling great drinks and food items. If you're into water sports, no problem as there are folks doing that too...for us, the most exercise we'll get is the walk from our lounger to the water, and from our lounger to the tiki hut. Afterward, we hail a cab to downtown Oranjestad and walk through the city.

As for Puerto Rico, that has become a bit of "been there, done that" for us...we *do* go to El Morro, the old Fort which is at the entrance to the city We also go to the El Convento hotel, which has a beautiful courtyard and sells some great Tapas and cocktails. The earlier posters suggestion of the rainforest trip is also a good one as well.

HTH,

Michael & Silke

To me San Juan is the best stop in the Caribbean! Very picturesque approach from the sea and quaint old town with lovely people. You only get a few hours to explore so there's a limit to what you can do,so I want to go back. I'll have to take a look at the cruise you mentioned.

When we were in Aruba there was a helicopter by the Radisson hotel that you could hire to take you around the island for 30 minutes. I remember it was pretty cheap compared to other helicopter tours I've been one. Too bad about the natural bridge though..I believe it went down in 06. You have to do the Kukikanuka excursion in Aruba. It's a blast. Do the bar hope not the dinner one.

thanks for the few responses--i think we are going to go with this one!

Why don't you think about doing the entire repo, there are a bunch of us already chatting in the roll call that are planning to stay on the ship from Tampa to Baltimore. Worth looking into. Catch you later.

Well Ohmiss...I did it!!!!

And I am soooo ready for this cruise. Can't wait for April!!!!

whoohooo...

Anyone have any suggetions on what excurations are the best?

Thanks for any input:)

In San Juan we did an excursion that included visiting forts and the Bicardi factory. This ship sponsored tour is highly recommended. We then did a little shopping and had lunch in Old San Juan, which was within walking distance from where the excursion let off and also the ship to embark. Loved Old San Juan; have never seen anything like Puerto Rico, and as another poster I believed mentioned, the view of this port from the ship is phenominal.

When we went to Aruba, we did the Jeep 4x4 tour, which I think someone else mentioned. It was a great tour- got to see the islands, and learn some history. I really think it is the most beautiful island we have been to. I have only been to San Juan to catch the ship- haven't done any excursions there, so can't tell you about that.

We really enjoyed the GOS. We went on her out of NO, and I really wish RCCL would go back there. NO is not that far for us. We are leaving out of Galveston for our next trip, but it is about 7 hours farther than NO.

Have fun!

I was so sad when they announced she was being pulled out of B'more:(

crookedhalo - I hadn't heard they are moving Grandeur from B'more! Is that true??? We only live 15 minutes from the port...sure would be sad to lose the only ship we have here.

Aruba is a great island. I seem to remember quite a bit of wind (not breezes) when we were there. Water was choppy, so our snorkeling excursion was somewhat challenging. Overall though, we enjoyed the island!

Puerto Rico, unfortunately, seems to be a short pitstop; not much time to do anything! Old San Juan is super crowded usually. Lots of places to shop and visit (El Morro - the castle you pass as you enter port - is perhaps the best known). If you like Mojitos, be sure to stop at the Parrot Club in OSJ - yum! Be sure to seek and take the free trolley that runs to El Morro - it will save you time.

It's ashame RCL ships don't stay in PR longer, as there is a ton of beautiful places to visit on the island. But still a great stop...

Enjoy that cruise

Well Ohmiss...I did it!!!!

And I am soooo ready for this cruise. Can't wait for April!!!!

whoohooo...

Anyone have any suggetions on what excurations are the best?

Thanks for any input:)

I am soooooooo ready too! Just need to find out how we can get all of our rooms close to each other! :D

Places we've been in Old San Juan and can recommend.

The Butterfly People get butterflies from around the world. The butterflies are collected after they are dead and then preserved.

http://www.butterflypeople.com/

Lunch at the oldest restaurant in the Western hemisphere is always good. The asapao and the flan are both excellent.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/D40505.html

El Moro is an interesting fort to walk around in.

http://www.sherob.com/wallis/albums/prelmoro.html

Just walk around Old San Juan for the architecture.

It's not a duty free port, so the prices aren't great.

• 3 weeks later...

We absolutely love Aruba. We have been there many times and many times we wanted to go snorkeling. Because of winds on the island, our snorkeling has been cancelled often. The waters get too stirred up and we wouldn't be able to see anything.

We have been to San Juan many times. The fort is interesting, the Bacardi rum tour is ok, not that great, but if you are there for the day , the rain forest is a great tour.

Also, some hotels, have day passes to them. I know the Marriott Stellaris used to, don't know if they still do. We have stayed at that hotel and they have a great pool as well as being on the beach.

I would go to the Ports Of Call boards and see what others have to say.

I can't imagine not enjoying these ports.

Thanks Katie.

This is my first cruise, but my wife is a seasoned expert (well okay, she's been one cruise). I'm still learning my way around this site and will look at the ports of call forums.

BTW, I am the OPs husband. Looking forward to all this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I realized today that we would not be returning to the Tampa port--so the four of us cancelled this cruise...:( We will be looking for another cruise--not fussy on where we go--just would like to leave from Tampa and return to Tampa on a seven day cruise--in April of 2008. What a bummer!

Archived