Escargot any night?

cruisebax

Princess has had shrimp cocktail as part of its "always available" menu. On our most recent Celebrity cruise, we asked for shrimp cocktail one night when it was not on the menu. It was delicious and when I said so, the waiter said he would make sure we had them every night. Three of us men at the table got them every night after that. And one of the wives always had a special salad and also side orders of vegetables to pass around family style.

On the Maasdam, I asked about shrimp cocktail the second night (our first in the dining room). Our waiter said he would have to check with his boss. Although not having a shrimp cocktail every night is not going to ruin my cruise, something about the attitude on HAL made me feel bad. I did not want my waiter to get in trouble. Yet I missed the way Celebrity and Princess treated special requests.

On our first Celebrity cruise I realized I loved the spinach salad (which was only offered once on a week long cruise). On the next two cruises with them I requested it at the begginning of the week and every night got it.

Also on our very first cruise (Pacific Princess) the first night our waiter heard how much I loved Creme Brulee and brought it to me every night!

Pacific Princess

Carnival Sensation

Celebrity Century

Carnival Pride

Celebrity Mercury

HAL Zuiderdam

Carnival Pride

Celebrity Century

Costa Magica

HAL Westerdam 12/07

You have to read the menu carefully when HAL says shrimp cocktail. Much of the time it is not the large shrimp you are thinking of, but the teeny tiny flavorless bay shrimp. I have no idea what they serve if you ask for it when it is not on the menu.

You might have missed my story earlier on in this thread:) , but they will bring you the larger shrimp if you ask for it. But we were told it had to be served "flat on a plate" so no one around us would know what we were having. And it had to be ordered the night before.

If we wanted the teeny tiny shrimp, we could order them any night.

Creme Brulee. That is my favourite too..... Someone mentioned provisions for 60 days on a submarine. No salads after about a week... It always amazes me how organized the cruiselines are... A 7 day cruise would be easy to keep supplied compared to the longer ones.... Perisable items such a lettice ice, milk, fresh vegetables etc must be a challenge.... Word to the wise is to chow down on the salads the first 3 or 4 days of a week long cruise because greens do not improve with age... :)

Archived