New York hotels.........help

nvjerry

I know all the hotels in NYC are expensive, we want something mid-town. I hope some of you have stayed in NYC and can tell me what hotels are good, and what ones we should stay away from.

Thre is probably alot of info on the Northa american Homeports forum. Then scroll to East Coast Departures. Alot of info there.

Marilyn

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Times Square last summer before our Crown Princess cruise -- it was great, newly renovated and with an absolutely killer view of the Square from the hotel restaurant.We also had a great view of Times Square from our room. I would definitely stay there again, don't remember the price but as you say, everything in NYC is expensive.

I know all the hotels in NYC are expensive, we want something mid-town. I hope some of you have stayed in NYC and can tell me what hotels are good, and what ones we should stay away from.

Pennsylvania Hotel, 32st and 7th ave, right across the street from Madison Square Garden, 1 block from Macy's, 2 blocks from the Empire State Building. Weekday rates are $229 + tx per night. It is close to everything, reasonable for midtown, and easy to get to any port from there. ;)

Just booked on a special promo at Roosevelt for 1 night Sep 29 at $286 (with tax) incl breakfast for 2. New Yorkers -- is this OK? Thanks.

I think you did very well! You got a Saturday night at a decent hotel for under $300 with tax and breakfast. Pat yourself on the back! I should know, I grew up in Manhattan :eek:

Last September, we stayed at the travel inn Mahattan. If you're looking for a comfortable hotel, no frills, but good prices for Manhattan, try this one. It's within walking distance of Times Square and several restaurants. Check my review on Trip advisor. We stayed here in spite of a few not-so-good reviews, and because of a lot of good reviews. It's close to the cruise ship terminals, and across the street from a police dept. We felt very safe walking back to the hotel at night.

Once more: if you want luxury, forget everything I've said. If you want good value for one or two nights' time in Manhattan, check out this hotel.

I just reread the posts about Manhattan: our two nights at the Travel Inn Manhattan were at $175 a night. No breakfast, but there's a fine deli right next door-- of course, for us, "breakfast" means a coffee, a glass of juice, and an English muffin!

Good hunting -- Manhattan is a wonderful place to visit -- we're looking forward to our next visit. If you decide on "our" hotel, be sure to specify where you want your room -- see the trip advisor posts.

Last September, we stayed at the travel inn Mahattan. If you're looking for a comfortable hotel, no frills, but good prices for Manhattan, try this one. It's within walking distance of Times Square and several restaurants. Check my review on Trip advisor. We stayed here in spite of a few not-so-good reviews, and because of a lot of good reviews. It's close to the cruise ship terminals, and across the street from a police dept. We felt very safe walking back to the hotel at night.

Once more: if you want luxury, forget everything I've said. If you want good value for one or two nights' time in Manhattan, check out this hotel.

The absolute best resource for information on hotels in NYC is TripAdvisor.com. Check out the New York City forum over there. The regulars on the board are just outstanding and the hotel reviews are just super. The reviews are really valuable because it's pretty important to know what you're getting into ahead of time. NYC hotels are expensive and you can end up in a real dive if you're not careful.

From personal experience I can strongly recommend the Novotel in the Times Square area. Convenient, right off broadway, clean, good staff, and reasonable price.

Steve

I know all the hotels in NYC are expensive, we want something mid-town.
Are you wanting the hotel for anything more than a place to sleep for one night before the cruise? If not, and you are not too concerned about the detail of which hotel you get, New York is a good city to bid ("name your own price") for hotels on Priceline. You specify the standard of hotel that you want, so you're unlikely to get anything terrible. Lots of information and bid reports on http://www.biddingfortravel.com.

If you are staying longer, you may want to be more picky and this may not be a good idea for you.

My personal favourite hotel: The Millennium United Nations Plaza. It still carries over much from when it was in Hyatt's top rank, although the market has since changed and its had to go downmarket. But it's still a great hotel overall.

We stayed at The Edison and absolutely loved it. The decor is art deco similar to Radio City Music Hall, and it's right in the center of Times Square, maybe a half a block. I got it at Hotelclub.com for $189 but with taxes etc. was $210 per night in Sept '06.

Others have posted about Super 8 for under $200 also. And we did see the Super 8 as we were walking about, and it looked clean, but didn't think it looked as NYC as the Edison.

I had booked the Pennsylvania, and the very next day, there was a big article on the Internet about two ladies from Sweden (I think) that had filed a lawsuit for bedbug bites. Claiming they were attacked by the little critters at the Pennsylvania, so I cancelled my reservation and found the Edison.

Good luck on your quest, I know it isn't easy finding affordable accommodation, then the transportation fees were horrendous also. The shuttle from JFK to the Edison was $50, but the cost to go 11 miles from the Edison to Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ was $98. Then another $110 from the port to JFK. So a total of $258 just for transportation. Then the Grey Line tour was another $45. NYC is not a budget place to visit. And we won't even talk about the prices of food. Suffice to say over $500 for 2 nights in NYC. The most expensive I've paid to date. I fear Rome and Venice next year will even top that.

I had booked the Pennsylvania, and the very next day, there was a big article on the Internet about two ladies from Sweden (I think) that had filed a lawsuit for bedbug bites.

Nasty!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g60763-d214197-Hotel_Pennsylvania_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623463

We usually stay slightly further uptown, but we've stayed here and the hotel was really nice. Sure, as soon as you walk out the door, there's tons of hustle bustle, but.....

http://www.westinny.com/

There's Europa next door that's great for a quick, inexpensive breakfast or lunch. Shula's in the hotel didn't wow us.

We love it here:

http://www.parkermeridien.com/index1.php

Love Norma's (albeit expensive), the Burger Joint and Seppi for the somewhat french atmosphere.

Much more quiet and closer to Central Park, but still within walking distance to Times Square.

Enjoy!

We got the W New York on Lexington Ave for $157 total for this coming Nov on Hotwire. I consider myself lucky as this is the weekend for the New York Marathon. I know Trip Advisor is about 50/50 on this hotel. We were just needed a room without the frills for the night.

Dave

The Edison Hotel (previously mentioned in this thread) is a fine tourist class hotel in an excellent midtown location just off Times Square:

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/index.asp

You also might try Apple Core hotels, a group of branded budget hotels located in renovated buildings in Manhattan. All locations good. All up to the standards of their brand.

http://www.applecorehotels.com/apple-core-hotels/

In August we got a great room at the Roosevelt for $153/night through Hotwire. I think that Hotwire and Priceline would be most likely to yield a real bargain if you use them correctly -- see http://www.betterbidding.com/ or http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

Good luck, and enjoy NYC.

David

We had a great stay at the Belvedere Hotel a few years ago. A couple of blocks from Times Square, well-appointed rooms with microwave, coffeemaker, fridge, safe, etc. A bodega nearby for fresh fruit and juices, etc. and a superb Mexican restaurant next door.

Archived