? Mortgage company gave us a cruise ?

MC1

My DH's coworker refinanced his mortgage and was given the cruise packet. He transferred the cruise to us because his wife won't cruise. The only cost is the registration fee of $99, port and taxes per person. I will be getting a new credit card with a low limit for this.

The company is AQUA Resource Group Inc. We only have an Aliso Viejo Calif. address. The instructions said to send registration form, then travel information will be returned to us by mail or email. The phone number will be given later.

Is this too good to be true?

How long of a cruise is it for? If you are responsible for paying port and taxes, that can be a couple of hundred dollars a person. We have a 4 nighter booked for my birthday this year for a quick get away and my invoice shows that the port/taxes are just a few dollars less than the actual cruise fare. Also, be prepared for lots of restrictions regarding available dates and black out periods. We got a 'free certificate' once as part of a time share presentation and it once we checked it out, with the restrictions and the port/tax we had to pay, we could get a better deal shopping around ourselves.

Some other questions to ask-

1) What cruise line?

2) What ship?

3) What are all the charges you have to pay?

4) What selections of dates do you have?

5) What is the itinerary?

6) Are you obligated to attend any "seminars" (sales pitches)?

Get the answers to all questions in writing or record the phone conversation. You need to inform them that you are recording the call since it is illegal to record telephone calls in some states unless you inform all parties on the line. Make sure you inform them first and get you informing them on the tape.

If they run the other way when you inform them you are recording, you run away from this deal as fast as you can.

After you get the information check out if you really even want to go on the cruise line/ship. Also, see what you can get the cruise for on your own. There is a possibility that this is a good deal but I have my doubts.

the Better Business Bureau database doesn't appear to have a listing for this company. While no BBB listing is not a fatal problem, it indicates either a new company or a company that changes name or names for various reasons. Act accordingly...

A couple of years ago, I received a hotel and flight package deal from an outfit called MVI or Mini Vacations Inc. I had to send in a room deposit and 3 different travel dates. After a year of fighting with them, I finally did a google search, located their real phone number and eventually got my travel award.

I tried a google search for your company. NOTHING comes up. No complaints, no web page, nothing. I typed in Mini Vacations Inc to see what would happen. Several pages of complaints came up before I found their web page again. Same for Ramada Vacations, another shady travel company.

Since there is nothing that appears in a google search, I'd stay away from this one. That is unless you just feel like throwing your money out there and having to fight to get it back.

It could be legitimate. RCI has a program called IIT (Individual Incentive Travel) designed for these types of deals. Companies can use them for sales incentives either for the salesperson or for the client. Sell a car -- get a cruise. Or, buy a car -- get a cruise. I can see how this program would fit in well for a real estate or mortgage company.

How it works is the company buys however many of the vouchers it wants from the participating travel agency and hands them out as needed to clients or employees. when the award winner decides to take the cruise he/she contacts the travel agency to set up the trip. The cruise fare has been pre-paid although if the winner wants to upgrade (longer sailing, bigger cabin, etc.) that's an additional cost. I really can't remember if the voucher includes port charges and taxes. They're generally transferrable since no names are attached to the voucher until the travel agency is contacted to finalize the deal.

But definitely check out what you're getting before kicking in any more money.

My DH's coworker refinanced his mortgage and was given the cruise packet. He transferred the cruise to us because his wife won't cruise. The only cost is the registration fee of $99, port and taxes per person. I will be getting a new credit card with a low limit for this.

The company is AQUA Resource Group Inc. We only have an Aliso Viejo Calif. address. The instructions said to send registration form, then travel information will be returned to us by mail or email. The phone number will be given later.

Is this too good to be true?

I don't understand why you have to pay a registration fee. What are you registering for?

A friend of mine refinanced her house, and the mortgage company gave her a week's stay at one of any number of resorts (there was a list she could pick from). My friend chose one in Nassau, Bahamas, but I don't know if she ever went (I will find out). There didn't seem to be any problem with the deal, it was just a nice incentive for using that particular bank to finance the house with. Heck, the bank would get more than the price of the hotel stay with one month's mortgage interest.

My husband & I got a free vacation package when we re-financed our house. It was legit. It was a promotional thing. We didn't pay one cent. We even got reimbursed for $200 spending money. We just had to send in receipts afterwards & we got a check. It was a nice deal. Real Estate agents here are giving away free cruises. They are legit - but do have restrictions.

I would probably pass on your deal due to the fees & the lack of any real information. Did they give you a choice of cruise dates, cruise lines?

You could also call the mortgage company and ask for referrals from other refinancer. It seems odd the mortgage company would give a bad trip. My sister is a mortgage broker & referrals are her bread & butter - she wouldn't do anything to mess with that. Bad customer relations is deadly.

If it were me I would not touch it. First, like the other poster said what are you registering for. I also pulled a whois on them and came up with some info.

I assume it is a new company. The website domain was created in april 2004 and is only registered for one year (this may mean nothing, but it tells me they are not sure of the long term)

The website is registered to:

Eloansite.com

Sherry Lavertu

65 Enterprise, #220

Aliso, Viejo, CA 92656

PHONE: 888-566-8485

E-mail: slavertu@eloansites.com

The website for eloansites.com is just as useless as the first one.

I hope this helps

It could be legitimate. RCI has a program called IIT (Individual Incentive Travel) designed for these types of deals. Companies can use them for sales incentives either for the salesperson or for the client. Sell a car -- get a cruise. Or, buy a car -- get a cruise. I can see how this program would fit in well for a real estate or mortgage company.

How it works is the company buys however many of the vouchers it wants from the participating travel agency and hands them out as needed to clients or employees. when the award winner decides to take the cruise he/she contacts the travel agency to set up the trip. The cruise fare has been pre-paid although if the winner wants to upgrade (longer sailing, bigger cabin, etc.) that's an additional cost. I really can't remember if the voucher includes port charges and taxes. They're generally transferrable since no names are attached to the voucher until the travel agency is contacted to finalize the deal.

But definitely check out what you're getting before kicking in any more money.

Our first cruise was through one of these promotions. It is nothing like what the OP has described and the certificate was issued from RCI. There were NO upfront fee's associated with this offer. Cruises were limited to what RCI made available and I could check online daily to see what would show up. Almost every cruise offered was within 90 days of the sailing date.

We had a point of contention since it was in writing that Alaska was one of the routes offered, yet it never was shown as available. Eastern and Wester Caribbean were almost always available as well as a few Med. cruises. I ended up calling Marriott, who issued us the certificate, to complain.

We were called one afternoon and told a cabin had become available on Legend's southbound Alaska sailing and offered the cabin. We took it and had a great time. The only problem was this was 30 days before the sailing. It took some fancy footwork to get the time off from work but we managed. ;)

Just wanted to say that this thread is a great example of why CC exists! Isn't it impressive how many posts responded to the OP with not just opinions, but actual research... google searches, BBB listing, etc?

Just so nice to see folks helping folks out!

• 4 months later...

I too have gotten this "free" deal. However, I have not yet gotten any information from the Aqua group. After a lot of searching I was able to locate a number (from a job posting by them) 1-800-218-7571 and left a message as to why I was calling and got a call back in under 5 minutes. The issue was not resolved but I was told that I would get another call by the end of the day to get me situated. Has anyone had any success with this promotion or I am just being the optimist that I am and and looking to get too good of a deal?

Matt:confused:

Gpt2..I'm going to guess that I WORK for that mortgage company. You are very right. We offer a free trip plan. It IS legitimate. That of course is not saying that the OP's situation is the same.

I don't think what we offer can be transferred.

As always...tread carefully!!!

Archived