Chops/portofino Help!!!

ritarussell

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

On our upcoming Navigator 5-night cruise, our group is getting complimentary dining in one specialty restaurant. First, which to choose? We are seafood lovers but I also enjoy a good Filet. Any opinions??

Also, I'm trying to decide which night to reserve. i know from the board that we will need to make our reservations pretty much when we board. I dont want to miss lobster night. Don't want to do it on the 1st night as Adventure Ocean is not completely up and running at that point, don't want to miss formal night and the last night we like to eat in the dining room to extend our tips. Don't want to miss lobster night either. On our last 5 night cruise, I can't remember if we had it on the 3rd or 4th night. Will they be able to tell us this where we make our reservation?? THANKS!!!

You're going to hear fans of both Portofino and Chops on here. Almost monthly there is a new thread on here about which one people prefer. Maybe because we slightly prefer Portofino, I'm hearing what I want to--but these "polls" appear to run a little in favor of Portofino. Of course, we try to avoid choosing when both are on board.

As for which night, most crews will have the menus or at least a schedule of dining themes for each night. So, when you go to make that early reservation after boarding, they can walk you through your DR options right there at the restaurant you've chosen. Whichever you do, have a great time. We think they're both good.

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

On our upcoming Navigator 5-night cruise, our group is getting complimentary dining in one specialty restaurant. First, which to choose? We are seafood lovers but I also enjoy a good Filet. Any opinions??

Also, I'm trying to decide which night to reserve. i know from the board that we will need to make our reservations pretty much when we board. I dont want to miss lobster night. Don't want to do it on the 1st night as Adventure Ocean is not completely up and running at that point, don't want to miss formal night and the last night we like to eat in the dining room to extend our tips. Don't want to miss lobster night either. On our last 5 night cruise, I can't remember if we had it on the 3rd or 4th night. Will they be able to tell us this where we make our reservation?? THANKS!!!

They will tell you which night is lobetsr night. Secondly, I agree with you about the Filet, but Portofino has a great seafood kabob. I am not sure if its on all ships, but when we were on the Jewel, they had the best seafood kabob. I love both Chops and Portofino... :D

It was $20 on the Jewel in July. Portofino has a very good filet that many CCers prefer to the one served in Chops. If I could only do one, I'd do Portofino - I think the atmosphere is a little more subdued and "special," and I like something in every course offering. I'm not a huge fan of the sides served in Chops. Splitting hairs a bit, I know, but that's just MHO.

Either way, enjoy!

I would also think seriously about skipping the last night in favor of one of the specialty restaurants - I think the menu in the DR is just awful (usually balanced by a great set of tablemates, but not always). You could always stop by your table to thank your regular servers and hand them their tips.

i am not a fillet lover since the meat is not even steak tasting to me. How is the ny strip in chops? Dh wants to do one specialty and wants CHops.

NY strip & porterhouse both very good in Chops...side dishes are terrific and you can split one each...we do both C & P every cruise-it's so nice to get away from 2000 noisy people and eat in a romantic setting with better food(and a table by the window!)

Big Al

I have always preferred Chops -- what a great deal, a top line steak house for a fraction of what you would see at a comparable on land restuarant such as Morton's. We make our reservations as soon as we get on the ship and have always been told by the Chops staff what the themes were for each night in the main dining room and could base our reservation as to best avoid formal nights or lobster nights.

We've eaten at both several times and love them both. The only disappointment was one night in Portofino the seafood skewer was really overcooked. The other times we've ordered the skewer it was wonderful.

Chops side dishes served family style I could do without. For me, it took away a bit of the "upscale" feeling of the place. The side dishes tasted great tho.

Dessert in both restaurants were out of this world although you might have to take it back to your cabin to enjoy (we're usually pretty full after the huge meal).

Yummy.

At either place can you ask for large or small portions. Or say two of something. I know you can in the dinning room or is it one meal per seating.

Yes you can.

I would have to agree to give the edge to Portafino. Both were good but we had the seafood skewer in Portafino and it was wonderful. So if it is sweafood you are looking for that would be my choice. I agree with the poster that said the sides in Chops are not my favorite. However the desert in Chops was fantastic. If you really can't decide - toss a coin!

We have only eaten in Portofino and loved every single thing we had! The filet was excellent, and I'm a big seafood lover. The portions are bigger than the DR, and after eating the shrimp risotto, gorgonzola and pear salad, a 1/2 order of pasta and the filet, I was way too stuffed for desert (so we got chocolate covered strawberries to take back to the room)...... no bread, no wine or cocktail.

Next time we plan to try Chops (and I'd love to go back to Portofino, too).

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

Based on your statement, I would pick Portofino for a wider variety of food options for your group. I went to both restaurants this summer on Navigator and had a great meal each time. You really can't go wrong with either.

Archived