Luggage Forwarding

alinicus

I've heard alot about Luggage Forwarding services recently and was wondering if anyone has tried it? We're flying into Honolulu from the east coast in January and to be able to not have the stress of luggage on that long trip would be a pleasure. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions / advice.

Thanks in advance!

I've heard alot about Luggage Forwarding services recently and was wondering if anyone has tried it? We're flying into Honolulu from the east coast in January and to be able to not have the stress of luggage on that long trip would be a pleasure. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions / advice.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't had any experience with that, but my mom is thinking about having our luggage forwarded when/if we go on the Queen Victoria next year. Check with the cruise line to see if they use somebody specific that does luggage forwarding. Good luck.

The only problem you could have, other than the huge cost of the service, is finding a place to ship the luggage to. Most cruise lines will not accept shipped bags as a matter of security, so you might have a problem finding a place to ship. If you're doing a pre-cruise stay, you can check to see if the hotel will accept the luggage, but some hotels also do not accept shipped bags. And, if your cruise departs on a Sunday, many services do not deliver to the terminal on Sundays. I've used a shipping service, but I've always made arrangements for the delivery place to meet me at the cruise terminal at a specified time, but if my cruise departed on Sunday, I wasn't able to ship the bags.

What type of shipping service have you used? We are staying in a hotel pre-cruise, so we can have them delivered there. Thanks!

You can use FedEx, UPS or DHL. Cost is about $175-200 for one 50# suitcase.

Or you can use Express or Priority Mail from the Good Ol' US Post office. You will have to box your luggage (U-Haul has the best selection of boxes in the USA), but the price will be 30% less than FedEx using Express (overnight) and about 55% less using Priority (3 day delivery to Honolulu from the East Coast, but no guarantee as there is with Express Mail).

I own a global logistics company and ship freight all over the world. I frequently use the Post Office (especially to and from Europe), as their premium services are VERY good. Most of the Express Mail and quite a bit of Priority ride on FedEx/DHL planes. So why pay FedEx/DHL prices for the same service?

we are thinking about trying to ship our luggage for our world cruise in 2008.........our ta gave us the name of 2 companies to check with, luggage concierge 800 288-9818 and luggage express 866 ship bags. luggage concierge is quite a bit less expensive than luggage express. the service would be affordable for us because we live in north florida and will be sailing from ft. lauderdale.

Decided to ship luggage to LA for a repositioning cruise -- didn't want to worry about it being lost by airlines and having so many days at sea without luggage. HAL provided 2 names/numbers but only one did it, so we made arrangements months ago .... an international services co for ports. Don't understand why we were directed to an international co when we were shipping withing the US. About $200 for 100 lbs and didn't have to be boxed. Would pick it up 8 days before ship left and it would be in our cabin when we boarded. Sounded good, so we signed up. Called again with a question, and they said they forgot to send us a form we needed to fill out, but it was faxed and everything seemed ok. Provided credit card info for billing. Checked two weeks out and they called us back with a time frame that DHL would pick up. (Note: they are on Pacific time and we're Eastern so we did play a little phone tag.) But, they said that they forgot to send us the 'bill of lading' to fill out, but would send it with the drivier. They did not show up. We called DHL and they didn't have a record. We called the shipping co. and the girl was out to lunch -- after some complaining, she agreed to schedule it rather than waiting for the other person to get back from lunch. They changed the time until later that day. We were told that there was no possible way to get in touch with the driver to explain that we really could only wait until 5 (simply amazing with today's available technology) We waited until past that time (5 PM) but had an appointment and had to leave. Found 3 different 'bills of lading' left for us and a note that they would return the next day during a certain time period. We didn't know which set to fill out and none of them indicated that they would get there ..... they needed 6 business days and we were beyond that. But, no problem, they didn't show up during this time period. When the offices on the west coast opened, we called and cancelled. A few hours later they came to pick up.

End result ...... we're flying with the luggage and paid $200 to move our flight up 1 day. Would love to hear some forwarding companies that work!

wow! What a nightmare! I'm guessing there are better services out there - I hope so. I'm still searching for less cost-prohibitive options. Have had little luck so far.

You are now down to the equation-EXTREME convenience vs PRICE.

A shipping company is going to charge you for their service. They all use DHL, FEdEx or UPS. So not only are you paying for those rates, but you are paying for a "service charge" for them to direct DHL, FedEX or UPS to your door and oversee the shipment.

I am in the international freight shipping business. I KNOW how it works. I too charge a fee just for making the "arrangements". Sometimes I even tell customers just to take their stuff to FedEX, DHL or UPS to avoid paying my upcharge. But what I recommend to my customers for small (under 100 pound ) for everything except HIGHLY perishable freight-the POST OFFICE. There is a post office EVERY place in the country I can think of. Their service is excellent today. They have guaranteed overnight EXPRESS and 3/4 days Priority. The price is 30-60% less than doing FedEx, etc. yourself. And about 70% less than using a shipping service. Your package often rides on the same planes as FedEX and DHL packages. The Post Office will at least refund your money if they fail on an Express Delivery. The luggage shipping services WILL NOT refund, as they have NO control over the air carriers they use. We don't refund, although we try to "make nice" on the next shipment. But you won't be using a luggage service often enough to justify a "make nice" concession on the next shipment.

If you use the Post Office, sure you have to put your stuff in a box. And you have to make arrangements to have it delivered to a hotel pre cruise. But for those looking for inexpensive luggage shipping, the Post Office really can't be beat. If I didn't believe so heavily in Post Office service, I sure wouldn't trust my own luggage and office paperwork on the trips I take to foreign countries about 10 times per year.

Do you have a company called Pak Mail? They are all over the US. I have a local Pak Mail shipper five minutes from my house. I call him and tell him when I'm leaving for a cruise, and where I'm departing from. He finds a local Pak Mail store in the port of departure, and makes arrangement to ship my bags to that store. Steve, the owner of the Pak Mail store, comes to my house and picks up the bags, and ships the bags to the other Pak Mail store, via whatever is the cheapest. I make arrangements to meet the Pak Mail man at the terminal, and then give my bags to the porters. It's very simple.

You can use FedEx, UPS or DHL. Cost is about $175-200 for one 50# suitcase.

Or you can use Express or Priority Mail from the Good Ol' US Post office. You will have to box your luggage (U-Haul has the best selection of boxes in the USA), but the price will be 30% less than FedEx using Express (overnight) and about 55% less using Priority (3 day delivery to Honolulu from the East Coast, but no guarantee as there is with Express Mail).

I own a global logistics company and ship freight all over the world. I frequently use the Post Office (especially to and from Europe), as their premium services are VERY good. Most of the Express Mail and quite a bit of Priority ride on FedEx/DHL planes. So why pay FedEx/DHL prices for the same service?

I've never shipped luggage, but I have to agree with you on the Post Office being a better choice than UPS. I've sent things UPS, or ordered when it is UPS and waited several times as long as 2 weeks for domestic delivery. I don't know how they can stay in business with such poor service.

Thanks in advance!

Are you staying in a hotel pre-cruise in Honolulu? Are you staying overnight anywhere between when you leave home and when you get to Honolulu? Are you using the NCL transfers?

Thanks in advance!

Just out of curiosity, re-reading your post, do you have a separate ticket from the east to the west coast, then another for the west coast to Hawaii? If you have flights on one ticket, even if you change planes, your luggage should follow you from departure and you won't see it again until you get to the luggage pickup at Honolulu airport.

We take as small a carry on as we can, so we don't have a lot to look after during and in between connecting flights. On our way home, we even will send our carry ons with the checked bags.

Being that you are flying to Hawaii, packing should be light, with shorts and bathing suits being the only clothes you need, besides a few things to wear in the evening. I see you are sailing NCL, so leave the formal clothes at home, you really don't see too many formal clothing worn on NCL.

For the $200-300 you will spend to have your luggage shipped, you could have it all laundered and dry cleaned, or buy some new clothes while you're on the islands.

• 9 years later...

Thanks in advance!

Have not used the luggage shipping to the ship but we have used Hal valet...you leave bags outside stateroom last night and you dont see them again until you pick up at destination luggage carousel...it is very reasonable...approx $19 a bag. We love it...wish more lines would start offering it

We used Luggage Forward on our recent 30 day cruise for our larger luggage. It is expensive, but not having to drag the luggage around the airport is nice (OK it is on rollers, but still...). The company is very customer friendly. When we arrived at our embarkation location, Luggage forward called twice to tell us that the Luggage had been delivered to the Cruise ship and then later when it was delivered to the room. Before that we had receive an email telling us that the luggage was in the disembarkation city, That we comforting, knowing that our luggage would be in the room when we got there. Likewise when the ship docked at the final location we recieved a call giving specific directions on where to take our luggage, after customs. A big disadvantage is having to pack the bag so long before leaving and waiting for it after you get home, but with careful planning it can be done.

Have not used the luggage shipping to the ship but we have used Hal valet...you leave bags outside stateroom last night and you dont see them again until you pick up at destination luggage carousel...it is very reasonable...approx $19 a bag. We love it...wish more lines would start offering it

Perhaps the OP may still be subscribing to this thread and will come back to let you know how it worked out on their January 2008 cruise to Hawaii.

Did you notice that you restarted a 12 year old thread. I suspect that the OP has figured out how to handle his luggage by now.

DON

You are replying to a post that is 9 YEARS old!!

Also, the service you are referring to is not even the kind that OP was asking about.

• 7 months later...

LOL. Haven't been on the boards in a while, but nice to see that my thread was reactivated. FYI - we were rebooked on a direct flight from Newark to Honolulu and all worked out wonderfully! It was a great cruise. Thats for the replies, regardless of the timing. Maybe it helped soemone else...Cheers!