The Devil is in the Details - CC Email Promotion - Enter to Win a Regent Cruise

diveoz

I just received a CC email with "Enter to Win a Regent Cruise" as the top center promotion. Wow, OK, I'm up for that! Right up until I read the terms and conditions:

One (1) winner will receive one (1) double occupancy cabin, in a cabin category selected at Sponsor’s sole discretion, for winner and one (1) guest with an approximate retail value of $8,000.00, on Regent’s Seven Seas Navigator cruise, sailing from Fort Lauderdale, FL from either November 15 - November 26, 2007 or November 25 – December 3, 2007 based on winner’s preference and availability at time of booking.

Two sailings in November... I think I'll hang onto my personal information. Then again, our Zuiderdam Cruise ends on the 24th... we can B2B it! LOL, I'm sure the kids (and the adults watching the kids) would love that!

Alcoholic beverages ARE included. Perhaps you could afford the cruise after all! :D

LOL... I entered... I'll figure out if I can afford it after I win!:D

Drawing will be on October 15, 2007! Holding my breath?:confused:

We have sailed Regent twice in the last year and I will pay the IRS whatever percentage they want.

Hard to believe people are finding fault in winning a cruise.

If you win , donate it to a charity . Make a Wish would be a good choice..

Now do not forget something.

Nothing is FREE.

Remember something called the IRS?

LOL ... you beat me to it. If you ever win something, make sure it is something you REALLY want. Otherwise, you're gonna find out that you are winding up paying more than you wanted to. The taxes could amount to almost 50% of the retail value of the winnings. In the case of a Regent cruise ... yes, this is stated as an $8,000 cruise ... so you have to figure out if you would really be willing to spend $4,000 for a cruise that maybe didn't have the particular itinerary or timetable that you wanted.

Blue skies ...

--rita

In the USA, any "Gift Tax" assessed is on gifts of more than $12,000 from one donore to one donee, and is assessed on the donor, not the recipient.

Big prizes are not gifts; they are income and are taxed to the recipient as ordinary income subject to income tax on Form 1040.

Archived