Any feed back from Cruise of the Vikings on the Maasdam?

ninkb

DH and I are considering the 08 35-day Cruise of the Vikings and wonder what the feedback is from anyone who has already taken that cruise.

We have 5 HAL cruises under our belts, love the line, etc. Is the itinerary too intense? Were there ports where you could just wander and not book excursions? What was your favorite port? Any day you wished you stayed on the ship???

I'm sure there are other things you might want to share that would be of interest to others considering this cruise. I look forward to hearing from you!!

:):):) ninkb

I've taken it three times, and would happily take it again. It's a balanced mix of sea and port days, popular and exotic ports, places that need an organized excursion and those that can be enjoyed by walking around.

The ports change just a little bit every year, so where I've been might not be exactly where the ship went this year---or will go next year. I'm especially fond of Qaqortoq, Greenland and northern Iceland; I don't care for Lerwick, Shetland Islands, but that might just be because I've been there so many times.

There's three ports in Newfoundland, and I love 'em all!

If you at all think you would enjoy this cruise I can't encourage you enough to book it! It really is one of those "off the beaten path" journeys.

Thanks, Ruth, for the quick as well as encouraging answer. Any cruise you'd take 3 times must be excellent, particularly one that is that long.

We normally cruise the warmer climates. Is this cruise cool or cold or ??? Do you need warm clothing as well as shorts? Or just warm clothing? Sorry to have so many questions, but I like to be prepared!

:):):)

Clothing - This year it was a little on the colder side in all ports and we never wore our shorts. I took a London Fog raincoat with a zip out lining and it worked very well. I just put the lining in and out as to what the temp was for the day. I also took a hat and a pair of light gloves (and did use them.) The trip was the best one we have been on and would do it again in a minute if we could. OH--We went through Prince Christian Sound (A pass through Greenland from west to east) It was a 5 hour kodak cruise. You just didn't know what to take a picture of next. You will love the trip. Penny

I think shorts take up valuable luggage space on this cruise. For daytime I took some sun dresses (I like cool/cold weather), white slacks and t-tops, flat-knit sweater, sweatshirt, wind-breaker. Any combination was plenty. A plastic rain poncho is also a good idea. I also brought gloves---they came in handy.

There are plenty of opportunities for sunny, warm days. There's also icebergs. When it rains in Qaqortoq it can chill to the bone.

GrammyPL- Did you do a trip report at all?

RuthC- Any chance of you doing this in '08? I think you'd be a wonderful addition to the cruise. We are thinking of going too. Just waiting for any recent reports of the trip.

RuthC- Any chance of you doing this in '08? I think you'd be a wonderful addition to the cruise.

Well, thank you! :) But, no, doing it again in '08 is out of the question---too much else already booked. I'm doing the 20-day South American/Antarctica (told you I like cool/cold :D ) in January, then 20 days on the new E-dam in July.

I wonder if the E-dam will share any ports with the Maasdam's Viking cruise? :confused:

I really do appreciate all the input you're giving.

Bone chilling . . . I remember a time like that in Feb on our Ryndam cruise . . . to Bora Bora. It rained, we were in an open safari jeep and I couldn't wait to get hot coffee when I returned to the ship. Will I ever make it on a Vikings cruise???

The layers, with zip in/out lining for a coat sound great! Did you ever get to spend time on the lounges outside, or was it too cold? Then again, I remember a day in Juno that was almost 80 and the rest of the cruise was cold.

Bottom line, on a ship, expect any kind of weather!

Lizf, stay in touch. If we both decide to go July 08 we'll have the beginnings of a CC group. I do like all the help I get on these boards.

Happy sailing to all!

We already have a good roll call on this cruise. Please sign up and join us! We're really looking forward to it and would love to have you come along. Looks like the staterooms are selling quickly; however, as it comes closer to final payment many people back away and staterooms might become available.

Esther

Now all I need to do is figure out the finances! Maybe by the time we work that out, someone else will have canceled. I will take the "full up" warning seriously . . . would hate to decide we're going, only to have HAL say nothing is available until 09.

Did go to the roll call and read about all of your wonderful plans. We have a daughter and her family living in the Boston area so will visit with them both before and after the cruise. All the more reason to visit . . . great cruise plus good visits with family.

For those of you planning to view the fireworks, you're in for a real treat! What a way to start the cruise.

I really do appreciate all the input you're giving.

Bone chilling . . . I remember a time like that in Feb on our Ryndam cruise . . . to Bora Bora. It rained, we were in an open safari jeep and I couldn't wait to get hot coffee when I returned to the ship. Will I ever make it on a Vikings cruise???

Lizf, stay in touch. If we both decide to go July 08 we'll have the beginnings of a CC group. I do like all the help I get on these boards.

Happy sailing to all!

Ninkb,

Sounds like we were on the Ryndam to South Pacific together if you went this year. We are booked for V of V in '08, so hope you will be with us again.

Thanks to all for input, I have been watching for some report from this year's voyage but hadn't noticed anything. Guess last year's will have to do.

jwitt2, I think you're right. It was this year that we were on that cruise (and met someone who graduated from high school with us way back in 63). You never know who you'll meet on these cruises!

After posting that, I checked my journal and realize it was Raiatea that chilled and soaked us, not Bora Bora. Wasn't that a great cruise? Loved the sea days and the snorkeling. V of V will be a different story!

We're still price checking and wonder if anyone has had good luck with a deal that seemed too good to be true. One TA that's new to us offered a really low price as well as deposit. Makes us think twice! Has it ever worked out for you, after you wondered about getting the service you pay for??? This is too big of a cruise to put $ down and have the deal fall apart. I envy those of you who are already booked!

Archived