Fully Obstructed Outside Cabins

CrystalWater

Not too far from it. No the windows do not open, absolutely not, you'd fall out if they did. We could hear some noise from the people walking the promenade deck below and I could also hear some music from a bar below us, but none of it was bad. If the positioning of this cabin happened to be on another line that is a lot more wild, I probably wouldn't have liked having this room at all, but HAL was really quite quiet and people weren't loud or obnoxious like you find on a more wild cruise.

My sister is a night owl, so a little music will not bother her. However, she will not like it if she is awakened by walkers of the promenade in the mornings! :D

Can someone tell me the difference in a H and HH category?

IMG_0254.jpg?imgmax=512

For some reason, I couldn't add this to my last message :confused: . Also, you can see the reflection in the window from the tinting.

We are going on the Noordam, we booked a partially obstructive stateroom, do you know if the windows are tinted?

Lynne:)

We are going on the Noordam, we booked a partially obstructive stateroom, do you know if the windows are tinted?

Lynne:)

Yes, they are tinted. Look at my above photos and the flash reflection. I would even stand in front of my window to see my reflection as I dressed. It was like a mirror!

I believe the floor-to-ceiling windows in those cabins are 'glazed' on every Vista ship. While I've never set foot on Westerdam or Zuiderdam, those cabins with the obstructed view were the exactly the same on Oosterdam and Noordam.

You can see out, but nobody can see in during daylight hours. At night, it's a different ballgame ... lights on in the cabin, curtains open ... you can see every detail in that room. :eek:

So if one prefers to be "au natueral" when the sun goes down, keep the curtains closed. ;) (Unless you have exhibitionist tendencies .... :rolleyes: :D )

I'm just wondering - did you have night tables in your obstructed view cabin? I couldn't tell from the photos, but it seems like there wasn't much room between the bed & the love seat. There might have been a nightstand between the bed and the wall, but I'm not sure.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

rev - Would you mind sharing your cabin number?

That's the best set of photos. I had no idea that there was actually a little ledge before the lifeboats/tenders. I thought they were right up against the window. :) Were your tenders ever lowered?

Those photos are of 4071.

And, no ... they were not lowered on this particular cruise. 4071 is forward the central elevators, and the tenders are located aft. These boats were actually just lifeboats, and would have been lowered only for maintenance, practice, or in the case of ship evacuation. :)

[quote name='jjt']Does anyone know if there is a lot of noise if they have to lower and raise the lifeboats or tenders? That might make a big difference in booking these cabins.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

There is noise, and vibration when they lower the boats.

I happened to be in my cabin at the same time a few crew members were doing maintaintence on the boat and its equipment. When they lowered the lifeboat, it was a bit noisy, and I felt like I was in a small earthquake. :eek:

But it was over in a matter of seconds, and not really bothersome at all.
(And it was kind of enjoyable ... felt like I was in "behind the scenes" of how those things worked .. :) )

[quote name='jjt']Does anyone know if there is a lot of noise if they have to lower and raise the lifeboats or tenders? That might make a big difference in booking these cabins.

Thanks![/quote]

The noise did not just come from when they were working on the tenders during the day. We heard horrible ratteling noise from them all night long and it kept me awake the first 2 nights. I even had to call the front desk. I don't think there is anything they can do about it. It only happened when we were cruising at a faster speed. When cruising slower through Alaska, it did not happen. The first 2 nights it was horrible!

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']AHH! So you were in a Cat. G (partially obstructed,) not a [B]fully obstructed [/B](the name of this thread.) That's why I was surprised with your view. ;)

My sister is in 4065 (at the tip of the lifeboat,) and I was hoping she would have the same type view.[/QUOTE]

I understand.
Ironically, those Gs are sometimes identified as fully obstructed on some charts, even though they're not. On my booking for the Eurodam in 2008 I'm in a G-category cabin, and while according to the deck-plan it should be a partially obstructed view, it is called a "Fully obstructed view" cabin.

But the inside of the cabin will be the same basic size, regardless of the view.

[quote name='CrystalWater']Yes, a tiny bit. Just mildly rocking. Also wanted to let people know, that it could have just been our particular tender and window and not all do that. Who knows, but we did hear noise pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

I had that as well ... but believe it or not, the [I]racket[/I] and motion lulled me to sleep. ;)

[quote name='Vic The Parrot']I had that as well ... but believe it or not, the [I]racket[/I] and motion lulled me to sleep. ;)[/quote]

LOL I wish it would have done that to me! Between the racket and motion and DH's snoring, it was a losing battle for me. I then resorted to taking 2 Benadryl's (sleepy formula) from then on out. I usually never have a problem sleeping on a ship, love the slight motion, etc., but we usually always have balcony rooms, so this just was different. I don't think we'll ever go without a balcony again. Having this cabin wasn't as bad as I thought because we could see a little through the tender windows, and it was better than not going at all. :o

[quote name='CrystalWater']LOL I wish it would have done that to me! Between the racket and motion and DH's snoring, it was a losing battle for me. I then resorted to taking 2 Benadryl's (sleepy formula) from then on out. I usually never have a problem sleeping on a ship, love the slight motion, etc., but we usually always have balcony rooms, so this just was different. I don't think we'll ever go without a balcony again. Having this cabin wasn't as bad as I thought because we could see a little through the tender windows, and it was better than not going at all. :o[/QUOTE]

Know what you mean. :D

I personally love ship [I]sounds[/I], and it doesn't matter to me where the cabin is located. Just give me a few days of 20 ft swells, creaking panels, and that heavenly motion, and I'm happy as a clam. ;) :)

Archived