All the Dress Code Threads Got Me Thinking About the Way I Dress (non-controversial)

diveoz

Host:

1.a person who receives or entertains guests at home or elsewhere: the host at a theater party. 2.a master of ceremonies, moderator, or interviewer for a television or radio program. 3.a person, place, company, or the like, that provides services, resources, etc., as for a convention or sporting event: Our city would like to serve as host for the next Winter Olympics.

Under #1 and #3 I would say Holland America is, indeed, the host ... and we are the guests ... when we cruise. Your host for the Winter Olympics will surely charge you handsomely to attend! :)

Aww, Jim! :) Perhaps I wasn't being literal enough.

Personally, when I see the word "HOST" mentioned, it has nothing to do with $$$$$$$$. To be a host is a "BENOVOLENT" thing.... (In my mind, and those I associate with, anyway ;))

Hope that you're settling comfortably in Texas. :)

Dunno about you guys, but when we "HOST" a dinner party or cocktail party, we don't charge our "guests".

When we were in university, we'd charge the guests at our parties in order to pay for the beer for the next one! :D I guess we're not 21 anymore. :(

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Since appearence (appropriate dress) seems to be under the 'microscope' on this thread let me expand it, it I may. How do seasoned CCer's deal with so-called 'body art' (aka major 'whole body' visible tatoos), 'tongue studs', 'lip & nose rings' amongst fellow cruisers and, perhaps some day the entire staff of a cruise ship? (we're not talking the 'Pirates of the Carribean' excursion here)

While such isn't "my thing," I see it all the time and it doesn't bother me.

I don't think we'll see the Indonesian staff on HAL all tatooed and pierced. Such violates the precepts of the Koran.

since I have my own company, there was nobody there to tell me otherwise.

This is where we are. My hubby wears his Lands End slippers every day. He does keep his shoes close by, but I know that those slippers are always on his feet. We seldom have sales people or customers at our office, so we really don't have to worry about who's going to show up, which helps. :)

When we were in university, we'd charge the guests at our parties in order to pay for the beer for the next one! :D I guess we're not 21 anymore. :(

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

(Miss them, but still having a wonderful life! :D )

My husband, He Who Is Oblivious to Fashion, does indeed wear corporate attire to work every day. He wears "computer nerd" corporate attire to the Nerdy Corporate Campus of the world, Microsoft. It's all jeans, jeans, and more jeans over there. If my husband showed up for work in anything other than jeans, they probably wouldn't recognize him. When we went shopping for my husband at Men's Wearhouse prior to our first cruise and finally got him some decent duds, the credit card company called us to verify that it was indeed my husband buying suits and fashion clothing, and not someone who had stolen his card. :eek: :rolleyes: Karin

You're a total screech, Karin! :D

Dunno about you guys, but when we "HOST" a dinner party or cocktail party, we don't charge our "guests".

I think that it's rather silly to refer to a cruise line as our "hosts".....they're a business enterprise....in the business to make MONEY. Thus the relaxation of their "dress code". :rolleyes:

BTW: I tend to adhere to suggested dress guidelines whilst on a cruise. :)

When I go to a restaurant that requires a coat and tie I wear a coat and tie, otherwise they will not let me in! Guest, patron, customer, client... whatever you want to call it, they have the right to tell me how to dress ub THEIR restaurant and I have the right to take my business elsewhere if I don't like it!

(so much for being non-controversial!)

jmho, but in general I think folks on these boards spend WAY too much time worrying about what others wear. Makes one think that maybe the nudists are on to something.

Anytime you have 1500 + folks together you will see a few instances of questionable judgement re apparel. Our experience has been that there is relatively little of that on our HAL trips. The truth of the matter is, that nothing any of us say or do will have much impact on that and by and large, HAL has made a conscious decision not to be the fashion police.

On the plus side, if we're here saving the world from jeans then we're not interfering at little league games.

Our society seems to have lost the idea that there is a difference in appropriate dress based on the occasion.

I was on jury duty in June and wore my leftover work clothes---they were a little dressy on the old informal nights. But I couldn't believe how some of the other prospective jurors dressed when they appeared for voir dire! :eek:

Truly, it's not an overstatement to say they were underdressed for a cook-out! This was the State Superior Court! One woman had on dirty old jeans and a plaid flannel shirt.

How you dress makes a statement. It may or may not be the statement you want made, but it speaks volumes to those who see you.

Ruth, I think many people dress this way for jury duty hoping it will reflect poorly on them and they won't be picked for jury duty. I wonder if that's the case.

However, I have seen people so inappropriately dressed for religious services, job interviews, school, that it's ridiculous. I often wonder how parents allow their children to leave the house with jeans that barely come to the waist and tops that don't come down to the belly button.

I had a teen age girl as a student last year who was dressed so provocatively, I wondered how the boys could keep their eyes off her.

change isn't always a good thing,and society certainly has relaxed and changed the dress code.

I work from my home and most of the day I am in relaxed and casual clothing. Even sneakers. But, five minutes before my students arrive, I change so I can look professional.

Host:

1.a person who receives or entertains guests at home or elsewhere: the host at a theater party. 2.a master of ceremonies, moderator, or interviewer for a television or radio program. 3.a person, place, company, or the like, that provides services, resources, etc., as for a convention or sporting event: Our city would like to serve as host for the next Winter Olympics.

Under #1 and #3 I would say Holland America is, indeed, the host ... and we are the guests ... when we cruise. Your host for the Winter Olympics will surely charge you handsomely to attend! :)

Glad to see others agree. By the way, we have been going to quite a few anniversary parties, weddings etc. where there is a cash bar. Would one consider the people inviting us Hosts?

Grandsix - Unfortunately I think what you're seeing there is another change in our society. We're too inclined to sue over everything and anything. If I provide the booze and you fail to use proper judgement and drink too much, then I'm on the hook when you wrap your car around a tree on the way home.

With a cash bar, the facility the function is at has that liability, as well as the onerous task of cutting folks off.

Makes all the sense in the world to me.

Now the only question is - Can I get served in ripped jeans, a tank top and flip flops? *L*

Glad to see others agree. By the way, we have been going to quite a few anniversary parties, weddings etc. where there is a cash bar. Would one consider the people inviting us Hosts?

Oh a little hint for those type of situations directly from the Emily Post of Italian Mamas (My Mother :))

You never sign the check or seal the envelope of "Aboost" (the gift) until you get to the party or wedding. A crappy meal, no cocktail hour and/or venetian table, or a cash bar.

"You deduct from Aboost" *LOL*

Do not want to get off the subject of "Dress Code" or recommended dress by Host. However, we never gage the size of the gift based on the quality of the party, but rather on the quality of those inviting us.

Well maybe its the old upbringing I had , but to nickle and dime your family and friends on the biggest day of you or your childrens life (depending on whose wedding it is) is pretty low quality.

My wife and I are lawn bowlers, and last week our club had its nintieth birthday, we had a large party, and all memgbers were encouraged to wear 'Period Costumes'. Many did, and some results was amazing.

I looked at most of our members, and saw them in a different light, my overall thought was, 'Why can't we all dress up like this now and again?' The reason for the question was simple, those who dressed up took a real pride in their appearances, the overall result being a really attractive group of friends, instead of the usual 'Here I am, I don't care what I look like attitude!'

We should all practice 'Pride in Dress', now and again.

john

I don't charge my dinner guests when I host parties and dinner gatherings, but its not a bad idea;)

Even though I don't charge guests, I do expect them to dress the part for gatherings. Usually I'll specify black tie, daytime formal, or business casual - so I don't understand why there would be a problem with expecting a dress code.

Obviously it won't be enforced on your cruise, you can wear flip flops and ratty shorts with your Poison T-shirt from the 80's (can you tell when I grew up?:D ) but please do it in the Lido, and not the dining room or other places where appropriate attire is required. The only enforcement comes from your fellow cruisers really, and I'd hate to be the one to stand out for dressing too casually!

Happy Sailing!

NNN, When you sail on a HAL ship, you are in their home. You may have paid for that prividlege, but they very definately are your host. The proof of that is that if you do something illegal or against their rules, they have the right to remove you from their home.I am not talking dress codes here, but stealing, running amok, etc. Not suggesting that you would do that, just pointing out that HAL is indeed your host.

Sorry, Carol, but you've lost me.

Not only do I refuse to refer to HAL as a "host", I won't refer to my paid vacation as a "privilege".

That makes HAL sound benevolent in taking my money.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess. :)

Not only do I refuse to refer to HAL as a "host", I won't refer to my paid vacation as a "privilege".

That makes HAL sound benevolent in taking my money.

I kind of agree with you there.

Sometimes, when I hear "guest", it makes me wonder why some lines insist on using that term.

If I'm a 'guest' ... I should get free food and accomodations. But since I'm paying "passage", I'm a passenger. :rolleyes:

When we went shopping for my husband at Men's Wearhouse prior to our first cruise and finally got him some decent duds, the credit card company called us to verify that it was indeed my husband buying suits and fashion clothing, and not someone who had stolen his card. :eek: :rolleyes:

Karin

That's just too funny. :)

Well maybe its the old upbringing I had , but to nickle and dime your family and friends on the biggest day of you or your childrens life (depending on whose wedding it is) is pretty low quality.

So totally agree. But then why are we seeing it more frequently?

Archived