Drive Time - Anchorage to Seward

freddiebud

I am finding conflicting information and hope I can get some personal experience answers.

AAA says the drive from Anchorage to Seward is 4 hours, Google Maps, 2 1/2 hours. Now I know that stopping will impact travel time, but if we just drive straight thru, how long do you think it will take? (Not that a no stop trip is the plan, I just want an idea of which is more accurate!)

Thanks.

I always suggest allowing 3 hours, especially if you are downtown Anchorage, it takes a little longer then from the airport. I suggest you even add some time, as the Arm can consume hours, if you let it. :) I greatly enjoy the many stops you can make- unlimited beauty. :)

Just wondering.....where are you gettting a car to drive from Anchorage to Seward. Hertz will not rent one for one way. I have called Hertz national, Hertz Anchorage and Hertz Seward. No luck. We would love to drive.

Thanks for all the responses. We plan on leaving Anchorage about 8 am and we sail at 5 from Seward, so we will have plenty of time.

My husband is a Hertz Gold card member. We are renting in Anchorage, going up to Denali and returning the car to Seward. We booked on-line and had no issues. BUT now you have me concerned. Maybe I should give them a call to verify?

Just wondering.....where are you gettting a car to drive from Anchorage to Seward. Hertz will not rent one for one way. I have called Hertz national, Hertz Anchorage and Hertz Seward. No luck. We would love to drive.

Only Hertz rents one way between Anchorage and Seward since Hertz is the only rental company in Seward. Keep trying - they might open up one-way reservations again sometime between now and next summer.

Thanks for all the responses. We plan on leaving Anchorage about 8 am and we sail at 5 from Seward, so we will have plenty of time.

My husband is a Hertz Gold card member. We are renting in Anchorage, going up to Denali and returning the car to Seward. We booked on-line and had no issues. BUT now you have me concerned. Maybe I should give them a call to verify?

If you have a confirmed one-way rental, you should have nothing to worry about. After the first month or two of booking for next summer, they seemed to stop accepting one-way rentals.

If you have any time at all, you would not regret spending more time in Seward. Too bad your ship leaves so early. Ours left at 9pm so I was able to arrive in Seward the same day and take advantage of some of the sights.

John

If you have any time at all, you would not regret spending more time in Seward. Too bad your ship leaves so early. Ours left at 9pm so I was able to arrive in Seward the same day and take advantage of some of the sights.

John

We are taking a leisurely drive to Talkeetna the day we arrive, spending a couple days in Denali and then driving back from Denali to Anchorage in one day. I keep reading that there is not much to see in Anchorage, but with time constraints, seems to be the only option. So, Seward seems to lose out on this trip. Next time, we will go northbound and be able to enjoy more time in Alaska. (Already dreaming about next time and haven't left for this time!)

We are taking a leisurely drive to Talkeetna the day we arrive, spending a couple days in Denali and then driving back from Denali to Anchorage in one day. I keep reading that there is not much to see in Anchorage, but with time constraints, seems to be the only option. So, Seward seems to lose out on this trip. Next time, we will go northbound and be able to enjoy more time in Alaska.

You can't do everything. I arrived into Anchorage in July at 2pm and drove all the way to Denali including a shopping stop in Wasilla so driving to Talkeetna is very doable. Unfortunately the weather was not great that day so I didn't stop very much.

Actually there is quite a bit to do in/around Anchorage but for me that is generally a low priority. When I am there next May I plan to spend two nights in Anchorage to take advantage of some of that stuff.

(Already dreaming about next time and haven't left for this time!)

It is contagious. I really love Alaska - so much to see and do.

John

Who are you cruising with that you leave at 5pm? most are 8-9pm since they don't need to leave any earlier to get to College Fjords or across the Gulf.

Archived