Need a defenite answer!!!

okstpat

Please be sure to check the State Department for correct information. I have highlighted below where they indicate that passports MAY BE required in ports beginning January 2008. In your shoes, I'd get the passports. You will absolutely need them if you have to fly for some reason (like someone at home is sick and you fly home).

Here is a quote from their site, plus a link:

Joint Departments of State and Homeland Security Announcement: U.S. Citizens With Pending Passport Applications Allowed Temporary Travel Flexibility Within Western Hemisphere

Video Announcement | Frequently Ask Questions | Spanish Version

The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced today that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child's proof of application. Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov.

This accommodation does not affect entry requirements to other countries. Americans traveling to a country that requires passports must still present those documents.

Since implementation, U.S. Customs and Border Protection has and will continue to exercise its current authorities in unique circumstances to allow individuals subject to the WHTI requirements into the United States based on other evidence of identity and citizenship.

As early as January 2008, the Departments will begin to implement WHTI at land and sea ports of entry. A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking outlining a phased implementation is expected to be published in the Federal Register within the next two weeks.

Travel document security remains a top priority for the U.S. Government. Both the 9/11 Commission and the U.S. Congress urged strengthening of travel documents to prevent entry of terrorists across our borders, reduce use of fraudulent documents, and speed up entry procedures.

2007/455

The State Department website is located at:

www.state.gov

We sailed out of miami Aug 25 to the western caribbean. We definitely needed passports. Our son's was late in coming. According to Royal Caribbean who we called to confirm, we had to have a photo id (driver's license), a certified raised seal birth certificate, and proof that he had applied for the passport. Fortunately, the passport came in the mail the day before we left. Otherwise we would have had to obtain the raised seal birth certificate (the original was mailed to the passport people as required) My advice would be to call whatever cruise line you're sailing on. They are the final word.

Jimmers

Yes, As of December 31st, 2006 you must have passports. Why wouldn't you want them anyway?

Wrong answer, you DO NOT need passports.

Spending $500. on something not needed is probably "why you wouldn't want them. "

When they become mandatory, I will get them. Until then, I'll go with a BC.

Please be sure to check the State Department for correct information. I have highlighted below where they indicate that passports MAY BE required in ports beginning January 2008. In your shoes, I'd get the passports. You will absolutely need them if you have to fly for some reason (like someone at home is sick and you fly home).

Another piece of bad info. Although it is recommended you have a passport, it is not absolutely needed to fly home if you had an emergency.

I went to the passport site and it said January 31st 2008 may be the cut off for land and sea travel. The reason I don't want to get them is that from all info I can find here in Oklahoma is that there is a six month turnaround time to get one. Also I live in a small town and there is no place to get one in my town. I could go to the nearest place to get them but they only accept passport applications mon thru fri 10-4. So I would have to take the kids out of school to get one. Then there is the chance that I don't get them by Jan 12th. Then I don't have my birth cert. for the cruise, and yes spending an extra 500 doesn't really appeal to me either.

I have just heard so much info I thought that I would ask here to get real world info.

By the way which one on here was correct.

Thanks,

Okstpat

turnaround time is pretty much back to the normal 4-6 weeks actually, they have caught up.

Bottom line, call your cruisline. even if the government pushes back the date(again) your cruise line may still require it anyway.

Bottomline: eventually, they WILL be the only form of official identification accepted for commercial travel. adult passports are good for ten years, so when you break it down, that isn't very expensive over the long term.

Wow, I sailed out of Miami on RCCL on Sept 17, with only my birth certificate and driver license. Not problem there.

We sailed out of miami Aug 25 to the western caribbean. We definitely needed passports. Our son's was late in coming. According to Royal Caribbean who we called to confirm, we had to have a photo id (driver's license), a certified raised seal birth certificate, and proof that he had applied for the passport. Fortunately, the passport came in the mail the day before we left. Otherwise we would have had to obtain the raised seal birth certificate (the original was mailed to the passport people as required) My advice would be to call whatever cruise line you're sailing on. They are the final word.

Jimmers

Check with the State Dept, I am one that says "no", you do not need them yet but don't take our word for it. I am taking a group to Mexico on a cruise this SAturday, no passport required, just proof of birth and a photo ID> The problem occurs when one is flying outside the USA, not cruising as long as you leave from the US or US territory. That being said, I would get a passport for the kids. It is better to do it now, than wait. You will need one within the next year.

Nita

Have you checked with your local post office? Most do offer the service now since so many people are getting them (passports). You can go to the like from any of the cruise lines for passports, print off the forms, get a pic ant Walmart and mail them in yourself. The back up has cleared for mow and I have read of some people getting them in 4 1/2 eeks. ^ is the average according to the US Gov't site right now. Like someone else said, you do not need them until summer 08 but check with the cruise line. Some are saying they require them already. I would hate for you to think you did not need them, book and then be SOL because the cruise line was demanding them.

We just applied for our passports last week, and according to the "status" of our applications, they are being mailed today. It shows we should have them no later than Oct. 1st. That would be approx. 2 1/2 weeks from start to finish. I called the 800 number at the U. S. Passport site to ask a few questions before I applied. I was told that they honestly do not know at this time whether or not they will push off the Jan. 1, 2008 deadline or not. They were proposing to push it back until June, 2008, but the agent said that that is currently being looked at because the backlog is pretty much over. I was told by the agent that she wouldn't personally take a chance that it will be pushed back. As of right now it still stands at Jan. 1, 2008.

I suggest that you look up the U. S. Passport site, get the 800 number and call with all of your questions. They are extremely helpful and will put your mind at ease.

I went to the passport site and it said January 31st 2008 may be the cut off for land and sea travel. The reason I don't want to get them is that from all info I can find here in Oklahoma is that there is a six month turnaround time to get one. Also I live in a small town and there is no place to get one in my town. I could go to the nearest place to get them but they only accept passport applications mon thru fri 10-4. So I would have to take the kids out of school to get one. Then there is the chance that I don't get them by Jan 12th. Then I don't have my birth cert. for the cruise, and yes spending an extra 500 doesn't really appeal to me either.

I have just heard so much info I thought that I would ask here to get real world info.

By the way which one on here was correct.

Thanks,

Okstpat

You and I are correct in checking with the State Department website ... don't rely on good intentioned but possibly poorly informed people at a public website.

As to wait time, there were news reports earlier this week indicating that the backlog is pretty well cleared up.

Okstpat,

My appologies, you are correct. This date has changed from Jan. 1st to Jan. 31st since I printed out the information. (My print-out is dated June 22, 2007) This may very well be the "change" the agent told me they were discussing. She said they were considering whether they really had to move it to summer or not. It looks like they moved it to Jan. 31st. I'm sure no one really knows if it will get moved again. I kept delaying and then finally applied just last week. I got tired of having to worry about it. As you can see it changes quite often.

Thank you very much for the correction!

Now I can confuse everybody even more. I just got off the phone with Carnival and they said I would not need a passport this trip. They also advised that contrary to the state.gov website the govt has announced that cruisers leaving and returning to u.s. port will not be required to have a passport until june 2008. Don't get me wrong that is good news for me, but gosh could this be anymore confusing. I know I know I need to just get the passports and don't worry about it ever again ( for ten years) but I don't want to spend the 500 bucks if I don't have to before this cruise.

• Administrators
Now I can confuse everybody even more. I just got off the phone with Carnival and they said I would not need a passport this trip. They also advised that contrary to the state.gov website the govt has announced that cruisers leaving and returning to u.s. port will not be required to have a passport until june 2008. Don't get me wrong that is good news for me, but gosh could this be anymore confusing. I know I know I need to just get the passports and don't worry about it ever again ( for ten years) but I don't want to spend the 500 bucks if I don't have to before this cruise.

Get it in WRITING, not on the phone -- especially since you say the cruiseline info you received on the phone conflicts with the State Department's website. Customs/Immigration isn't going to be overly impressed with "but Debbie at Carnival said...." I wish this whole situation weren't in such flux -- it makes it so hard for people to plan. On the other hand, the US has come to the whole "passport for its citizens" thing way, way late compared to the rest of the world -- trying to implement in a matter of months something other countries have done for decades is bound to cause a lot of confusion. :(

I stand corrected. Passports apparently are NOT needed for land and sea travel. Apparently there was some confusion in our phone call to RCCL namely that we had to show proof that my son had applied for his passport in addition to presenting a photo ID and birth certificate.

The problem we had was that we no longer had his birth certificate since we mailed it with the passport application. Fortunately, as I said in my earlier post, his passport came the day before the cruise and all went well.

I'm still glad we got the passports. They are good for 10 years and we certainly will use them again many times before then.

Jimmers

I totally disagree with the poster who said you don't need a passport in an emergency and I know from first hand experience. When mom broke her hip on a cruise this past January on Millennium, she had to be evac'd off the ship in Nassau to Ft Lauderdale. The ship's doctor asked if we had passports and thankfully we did. If we didn't, we would have had to report to the US Consulate and get an emergency travel declaration to get back to the US and that could have taken longer than we had time for--and that declaration would only have covered mom and sis since they were on a med evac jet---if anyone other than the injured person has to leave the ship and fly commercially, you need that passport, regardless of the situation. Mom and sis flew in the med evac jet out of Nassau and when they landed in FLL, not at the international airport but an executive airport near the hospital in FLL, they had to show their passports to an Immigration offical. I had to fly commercial from Nassau to FLL, and a sign on the check in desk said "Passport Required to Fly from Bahamas to Any Airport in the USA". If I didn't have a passport, I would have been stuck on the ship until it arrived back in the US because I wasn't in the evac jet and I wasn't the one who was injured and they only allow one person besides the injured one on the jet. So, don't assume you won't need a passport in an emergency. Same thing if you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port of call. Passports are now required to fly to islands in the Caribbean. You don't need them if you're on a cruise that leaves from a US port, but if you're on a cruise that departs from, say, Barbados, you need a passport now.

Archived