Deposit Shock

gooch47

NCL has a similar program - but it's it works differently. On NCL only one person needs to buy an FCC and it’s $250. It’s good for 2.5 years. And when you book, that $250 is the deposit for the entire cabin you’re booking, regardless of the number of people in the cabin. Now the good part… they give you $100 OBC directly applied to your onboard account on your current cruise! So, you get a reduced deposit and instant OBC!
I'm guessing that since you get an instant OBC, the FCC is non-refundable or only partially refundable. Is that correct?

Regardless, the Princess program is great and has probably kept us from booking other cruise lines. I was comparing Celebrity versus Princess for a similar itinerary and the deciding factor was that I had FCC's to use versus putting down around $1,000 for X.

I'm guessing that since you get an instant OBC, the FCC is non-refundable or only partially refundable. Is that correct?

Regardless, the Princess program is great and has probably kept us from booking other cruise lines. I was comparing Celebrity versus Princess for a similar itinerary and the deciding factor was that I had FCC's to use versus putting down around $1,000 for X.

Yes, it is non-refundable and a shorter time to book. Princess program is better:)

An absolute win-win situation. There is no down side.

Sure there is...you get hooked!!! :D Thoughts of cruising occupy so much of your mind that you can't focus on much other than planning future cruises! :)

It's a great feature of cruising with Princess. For those of us who have to scrape the money together all year long to take a cruise, it's nice to not have to tie up too much at the beginning.

I'm glad I didn't know that a future cruise booking was refundable because that was the excuse I gave my inlaws when I asked them to take care of the kids so we could go on a cruise before our future booking expired LOL.

:( We had purchased two FCC's when last on board Princess. We've used those for two 2008 bookings and just last week found a 2009 cruise that we couldn't pass up (due to the pricing of an on-line TA) and had to actually make the deposit to hold the cabin we wanted. Sure hurts after using the FCC's but couldn't pass the deal!! :D

You could have asked to transfer (1) FCC to the 2009 cruise and just pay $100 for the 2nd deposit on the 2008 cruise..................

Well we took our first Princess cruise last December on the Star, we loved it, so we bought a FCC for both of us. When we got home we booked the Emerald, and I didn't have deposit shock, I had final payment shock! I will buy FCC again this time, but think I will make a partial payment maybe six months out from final payment next time.

You don't have to use one per person to book a cruise - use one FCC and pay the additional $100pp deposit for second pax in cabin. I have done this many times, and the second pax gets the same discounted deposit and OBC.

You will have to use one FCC for each cabin.

You do have to use both FCC as deposit (unless your TA is having a Princess $100.00 deposit sale).

I was on the Star recently and had a very heated discussion with the rep when I was buying my FCC's. I told her that the TA's were accepting one FCC and $100.00 cash for the second party and she said "That is not correct, and that is where Princess is missing FCC certificates when a couple is booked using only one certificate. The FCC certificates were meant one per person and if the TA was doing that, they are wrong"

Don't flame me as I am only saying what the rep said. And I used two of my FCC's when I recently booked our Far East cruise. If someone can honestly say they have spoken to a rep on board about this, or on line, and it's OK, then I'd like to know.

Snowbird

You do have to use both FCC as deposit (unless your TA is having a Princess $100.00 deposit sale).

I was on the Star recently and had a very heated discussion with the rep when I was buying my FCC's. I told her that the TA's were accepting one FCC and $100.00 cash for the second party and she said "That is not correct, and that is where Princess is missing FCC certificates when a couple is booked using only one certificate. The FCC certificates were meant one per person and if the TA was doing that, they are wrong"

Don't flame me as I am only saying what the rep said. And I used two of my FCC's when I recently booked our Far East cruise. If someone can honestly say they have spoken to a rep on board about this, or on line, and it's OK, then I'd like to know.

Snowbird

Your rep is both wrong and blind. It says right on the certificate that it is good for two people.

Snowbird

For some reason, the reps on board never seem to have the correct info. I book using one FCC for two all the time. Just did it about a month ago. I had originally booked my Hawaii cruise for just me. A friend of mine decided she wanted to also go and all we had to do was add an additional $100 for her deposit. She also got the same OBC that I got. You should find a TA who is a high-volume booking agent with Princess and familiar with how the system works.

I personally like to put a lot of money down, so then it doesn't hurt so bad when the balance comes due.

But if you book more than one cruise at a time, a lot of your money is tied up. Even the pathetic interest banks are paying is better than Princess holding my money interest-free.

I personally like to put a lot of money down, so then it doesn't hurt so bad when the balance comes due.

You can still do that using an FCC, you don't have to put down only the amount paid ($100) for each passenger. The FCC brings you SBC once onboard, which comes in very handy, especially on long expensive cruises. Even on shorter voyages, it is usually enough to take care of most of the minimum gratuities, which makes it nice. :) :)

Can someone please refresh my memory on what the onboard credit is for 7 day balcony? I figured asking here was easier than digging through that filing cabinet for the certs LOL.

It's in the FAQs at the top of the page....

While on board put a deposit down on a future cruise for only $100. This is good for four years. If you don't use it by then, your money will be refunded. You may also request a refund anytime prior. By securing a future cruise, the following FCC (future cruise credits) per person will be placed in your shipboard account when you book your future cruise. The amount is based on the number of days and the type of cabin:

7 - 9 days: $25 pp for inside; $50 pp for outside

10-15 days: 75 pp for inside; 100 pp for outside

16 + days: 125 pp for inside; 150 pp for outside

When you make your $100 deposit, you may also request (not always automatically given) "Share the Wealth" coupons so friends/and or family members who are sailing with you, may receive the same benefits.

Archived