Who to Write To?

sail7seas

Just wondering........

With a very large corporation, such as HAL, we know there are many departments with many Vice Presidents/Directors/Managers of these Departments.

When one wishes to write to headquarters in Seattle, why do most of us instinctively say......I'm writing to Stein Kruse? He has many very able people who are in charge of various departments. Why don't we write directly to the department which would be pertinent to the subject about which we are writing?

Do we think we'll get faster/better action by loading up Mr. Kruse's (and his assistants') mailboxes?

Why not write to Customer Service?

or Customer Relations?

or Mariners Society?

or Marketing?

or Public Relations?

or or or or or or?

Just wondering........ :)

We just received a thank you email "from" Stein Kruse so maybe that personal touch tends to lead some to write to him personally.

I used to work for a large manufacturing firm and when the President of the company received mail addressed to him, unless it was marked on the envelope personal/confidential, the mail was opened and distributed to the appropriate personnel. This is probably what happens when Stein Kruse received correspondence. He may not even see most of the mail addressed to him...or I could be totally wrong :p

The same applies to emails sent to him. Chances are his email is scanned by his secretary or whomever.

Sail, that's just what I'm wondering. I posted earlier this am to ask who we could write to regarding HAL pulling out of NY. I know it might not make a difference for 2008, but perhaps if enough people write they might put a HAL ship back in NY another year. I was planning on writing to Mr. Kruse, but also someone else. Anyone know if writing to the new director of North American and Caribbean marketing would be a good option? Her name is Beth Humerik. Any suggestions, please.:confused:

He may not even see most of the mail addressed to him...or I could be totally wrong :p

The same applies to emails sent to him. Chances are his email is scanned by his secretary or whomever.

CEOs in businesses that sell products to the general public do not open or read mail, even mail marked personal and confidential. They have an army to handle correspondence with the general public.

Sail, that's just what I'm wondering. I posted earlier this am to ask who we could write to regarding HAL pulling out of NY. I know it might not make a difference for 2008, but perhaps if enough people write they might put a HAL ship back in NY another year. I was planning on writing to Mr. Kruse, but also someone else. Anyone know if writing to the new director of North American and Caribbean marketing would be a good option? Her name is Beth Humerik. Any suggestions, please.:confused:

I don't know who, but I would call the Corporate Headquarters (1-206-281-3535) and ask them who I should address the letter (email) too. They might even give you the email address of the person.

Just a thought, but that's normally what I do when I'm looking for a person, contact info.

I don't know who, but I would call the Corporate Headquarters (1-206-281-3535) and ask them who I should address the letter (email) too. They might even give you the email address of the person.

Just a thought, but that's normally what I do when I'm looking for a person, contact info.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did do exactly that and spoke to Nancy katt at guest relations who suggested those of us who are upset with the decision to pull HAL out of NY write to:

Mr. Stein Kruse

300 Elliott Avenue West.

Seattle, WA 98119

She said he does read all the mail and if we want to be heard, that is the way to go. I'm hoping that all who are upset about HAL leaving NY will follow through and take a moment to write.

CEO's never read the external email sent to them. They have secretaries / assistants who read, forward them, and answer them. I was very familiar with this system when I worked for a large company inside the DC beltway.

It doesn't matter if you send it directly to the CEO or to one of the Department Directors ... it gets to the appropiate person to handle. Once the problem is resolved, it goes back to the assistant and is answered under the CEO's letterhead.

Sending complaints directly to the CEO is perfectly fine. Just don't think that they read them personally. Contrary to popular opinion, CEO's have enough on their plates. They have plenty of folks to handle customer relations.

Well, there you go. HAL's own Guest Relations says that is who we should write to.

We, too, have written to Mr. Kruse in the past and also have received very gracious responses. I'm not suggesting folks shouldn't write to him. I am just wondering why most of immediately think to write him without considering anyone else in the corporation.....even those in charge of the department about which we are writing.

Thanks for your comments.

I worked as Executive Assistant for the CEO of my Company for a number of years... I read everything addressed to him and funneled correspondence to the appropriate department. Periodically, I would pass him something of interest with my comments. "Confidential" meant zilch - my boss wanted me to look at everything and just handle it.

Complaints - even those alledging fraud or abuse, were sent to our Complaince Dept. (The company owned a brokerage firm back then).

I sincerely doubt Stein Kruse reads everything - probably not anything. He would not have the time nor inclination.

The only time I got a personal letter from someone at HAL - it was from Kirk Lanterman, he personally responded to a letter I forwarded to my TA.

I agree. It isn't possible. Even if that is all he did all day, which, of course, is not the case. His assistants may read most of most of the mail??

And, indicate to their secretary which standard letter response to use, and unless you are a VIP on his level or a personal friend or a Very Large Donor, that gracious response with his "signature" on it is either signed electronically or by an AutoSign machine which uses a standard fountain or ballpoint pen. If there is sufficient volume, there would be a database/merge process to deal with it in a timely manner -- again, actually done by the support staff of the Assistant.

The most to "hope for" is that the opinions are counted and some department head gets a monthly report with that count.

This is not just common sense evaluation, it's first hand knowledge. Same is true of responses from our political "leaders".

I agree that Mr. Kraus probably has an assistant to open all his mail and route it to the appropriate person/department. But aren't we all underestimating the man by insuating that he doesn't read any of his emails or letters? Or that he isn't aware of complaints, suggestions, ideas, etc?

Even if he doesn't, I would guess that during staff meetings, each department gives an update of what is going on in their departments. So if customer service is receiving a lot of complaints about the move from NY they will be reporting it up the line. He will be made aware of it.

I'm assuming it was his involvement with all aspects of the company that got him where he is, and a smart manager will continue with that same involvement.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree that Mr. Kraus probably has an assistant to open all his mail and route it to the appropriate person/department. But aren't we all underestimating the man by insuating that he doesn't read any of his emails or letters? Or that he isn't aware of complaints, suggestions, ideas, etc?

Even if he doesn't, I would guess that during staff meetings, each department gives an update of what is going on in their departments. So if customer service is receiving a lot of complaints about the move from NY they will be reporting it up the line. He will be made aware of it.

I'm assuming it was his involvement with all aspects of the company that got him where he is, and a smart manager will continue with that same involvement.

Just my humble opinion.

I absolutely agree with you that we are approaching being insulting in our description of Mr. Kruse as regards mail from Mariners. I think he is very hands on and also believe he has a very real feel from his assistants of the 'mood' of the letters and any specifics his trusted assistants believe he would want/needs to know.

It's a matter of there only being 24 hours in his day the same as ours. Once in a while, I imagine he needs a bit of sleep. :)

My impression is very little gets by Mr. Kruse... that not much is being said/done in that company about which he has no knowledge.

I also believe that it would not be out of character for him to pick up a phone to call a person about a letter that was passed to him which he felt needed more attention from someone with authority.

In most cases, most of the letters, most of us (if honest) would agree that Form Letter I, II or III can handle the vast majority they receive. ;)

Just my humble opinion.

An assistant?

I think it a small army. A CEO of a cruise line with 13 ships and almost 1 million passengers a year probably gets thousands of letters including hundreds asking for cruise donations benefitting some cause.

I would not be surprised if someone within the HAL organization knows within one percent, how many letters/emails/calls they will receive, relative to pulling out of NYC. I think they would scratch their heads if no one wrote or called.

I think consistency is key here. Everyone should send their letters to the same person...the strength in numbers logic. Not that it'll do a darn thing, but at least those of us who are upset about this will have gotten it off our chests!

I'd suggest putting the same title in the subject line on an email or on the front of the envelope if it's snail mail. Does that make sense? :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did do exactly that and spoke to Nancy katt at guest relations who suggested those of us who are upset with the decision to pull HAL out of NY write to:

Mr. Stein Kruse

300 Elliott Avenue West.

Seattle, WA 98119

She said he does read all the mail and if we want to be heard, that is the way to go. I'm hoping that all who are upset about HAL leaving NY will follow through and take a moment to write.

Carol, is his email address skruse@hollandamerica.com?

I absolutely agree with you that we are approaching being insulting in our description of Mr. Kruse as regards mail from Mariners. ;)

This is not a ma/pa shop operation. HAL has about 1 million passengers a year and employs tens of thousands of people, any and all of whom are free to write/email or call the CEO, about anything.

Archived