More nickel and diming by NCL

ochreman

A recent previous poster made a number of predicitions about what we can 'expect' in five years time.

I say, "let the cruise lines do just that" (charge for extra shows, headliners, specialty restaurants). I won't GUARANTEE that people will boycott these things as there are always people who are willing to pay extra for things (that they shouldn't pay extra for) or that will say, "well, if no one else is going to go to the show, we'll have prime seats to ourselves".

My point is, IF the above happens, hopefully enough people will say, "okay, I'll just spend my time/money doing things at port" without paying the cruise line to arrange tours and the like.

As for people complaining about the costs associated with cruising, IMHO, cruising is one of if not THE most economical way to take a vacation right now! Most if not ALL cruise lines are fighting for a piece of the sea-worthy traveler's $.

The all-time Canuck buck is encouraging A LOT of Canadians to book cruises (and vacations overall). The competition breeds good pricing for cruises.

Cruisers have the opportunity to 'sample' islands that they might never get a chance to go to and then can decide to to back for a vacation to that island, or to take another cruise including the island they especially preferred!

As for slivers of cake, if someone ("I") want a nanaimo bar and it's 'this' big, I'll simply take four pieces of the same cake and put them on my plate. I will eat it, and I believe it shows up the cruise line for being 'cheap'. Although, as a Canadian I have to say that when I watch people take food on cruise ships, most of the people over-filling their plates tend to be Americans (sorry for the 'generalization' here). I think it's part of the 'take as much as you can' culture and immediate gratification people strive for these days.

Just my .03 (due to the rising Canadian dollar!) :D

[quote name='Volunton']As for slivers of cake, if someone ("I") want a nanaimo bar and it's 'this' big, I'll simply take four pieces of the same cake and put them on my plate. I will eat it, [/quote]

Yeah.... you tell 'em!!!!

:eek: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Volunton']As for slivers of cake, if someone ("I") want a nanaimo bar and it's 'this' big, I'll simply take four pieces of the same cake and put them on my plate. I will eat it, and I believe it shows up the cruise line for being 'cheap'. Although, as a Canadian I have to say that when I watch people take food on cruise ships, most of the people over-filling their plates tend to be Americans (sorry for the 'generalization' here). I think it's part of the 'take as much as you can' culture and immediate gratification people strive for these days.[/quote]
I'll excuse you the generalization ;) and add that one of my MAJOR pet peeves is people who load up their plates & trays on the buffet then WASTE most of it. :mad: People want to know why cruise lines are "nickel-and-diming" them to death? It's probably the same people who wonder that who waste so much food. And maybe THAT'S a big part of the reason why the cruise lines are having to find new ways to wring out revenue?

And that's my $.02 worth. :cool:

[quote name='BeckyThane']one of my MAJOR pet peeves is people who load up their plates & trays on the buffet then WASTE most of it. [/quote]

On the Majesty last week the breakfast buffet had been completely replenished. A woman sat with her family after filling her two plates. They were literally at least 6 inches high. There was hash, eggs, bacon, muffins and cinnamon rolls. The family ate the bacon and left the rest.

The mother and 13 ish son then had a screaming fight because he wanted to go shopping NOW to buy her something nice. Maybe a new son?!?!?!?

[quote name='ochreman']I just learned that NCL has blocked internet phone systems such as Skype from operating on their internet system. So if you buy a block of time from them while on board, don't plan on making phone calls unless you want to spend the money and use NCL's system. Just another way to grab more $ from the customer!!![/QUOTE]
this is the exact problem with all of those people who complain about a "for profit" company. What is wrong with a company making some money? The problem with you complainers is that you want to enjoy the spoils of living in a capitalist society, but do not want to allow the wheels of global corporations to do there job. Wake up and stop complaining. Someone is going to get into your wallet. Why not NCL, they are just as eligible to get at it as the next company providing a surplus.

[quote name='amjdcm'] What is wrong with a company making some money? [/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a company making money. There is something wrong with advertising "internet service" at a certain price and requiring customers to read the fine print to to understand that its actually "limited" internet service. Surely we can see how a 1st time cruiser, used to free internet at a hotel, would be put off by such limitations after paying for a service he/she is accustomed to getting for free.
Yes it is a free market, but it would be in the interest of the cruise lines (all of them) to do a better job educating 1st time cruisers before they enter the captive market place of a ship at sea. Nobody likes feeling like a sucker, and a lot of 1st timers don't come back because many of the "hidden" charges make them feel that way. Us saying "you shoulda done your homework" only exacerbates the feeling.

One point that a lot of the complainers seem to overlook is the low fare prices. Fares seem to come down, down, down, all the time. Most prices are going up, when the cruise lines offer 7 day cruises for $399.

So, with prices that low, is it reasonable to keep the same level of service and quality? No, it's not.

The option is there for more and more people than ever before to cruise on a shoestring budget. Just look around on deck sometime and you'll see what I mean - people who may never before have left the county they were born in, now are traveling to foreign ports. Because it is so affordable.

People who don't eat out much at home (because they can't afford to or they live in rural areas) are going to be pleasantly stunned by the food in the main dining room.

People with more discriminating palates are going to have to pay extra to eat more expensive food. I don't see a thing wrong with that.

Does anyone REALLY have a problem with paying more for better quality? Does anyone not believe that one should "get what they pay for?" Does anyone think seven days lodging and transportation for $399 should come with complimentary filet mignon and lobster for dinner? I don't think so.

[quote name='nealstuber']Nothing wrong with a company making money. There is something wrong with advertising "internet service" at a certain price and requiring customers to read the fine print to to understand that its actually "limited" internet service. Surely we can see how a 1st time cruiser, used to free internet at a hotel, would be put off by such limitations after paying for a service he/she is accustomed to getting for free.
Yes it is a free market, but it would be in the interest of the cruise lines (all of them) to do a better job educating 1st time cruisers before they enter the captive market place of a ship at sea. Nobody likes feeling like a sucker, and a lot of 1st timers don't come back because many of the "hidden" charges make them feel that way. Us saying "you shoulda done your homework" only exacerbates the feeling.[/QUOTE]
Your response is just another example of us "lazy Americans" and yes I say "us" because I am a born in the "good old USA" American but do not limit myself in my ability to self analysis and look at things through an objective lens. I do not hold my thoughts for fear of being labeled anti-American; because only through objective analysis can we learn the truth and improve ourselves. With that said...

Why is it that you need to have something told to you before you can understand its implications. If every company had to discuss every aspect of their pricing and marketing/revenue process you would not want to hear it; because most of what they had to say would be of no interest to you. You would tell them I do not have time. Oh [COLOR="Red"]"time"[/COLOR] that ever so important thing that drives our lives like a task master.

How would a reservation agent of NCL or any other cruise line know what is in your head? The answer is they DONT! So that is why they put things in print so you can read them. Oh.... that is another problem of the lazy America, we [B][U][I]don't like to [COLOR="red"]"read"[/COLOR] because we don't have the [COLOR="red"]"time".[/COLOR][/I][/U][/B]

So you see my fellow American, the reason that you felt compelled to blame NCL for their efforts in trying to provide a somewhat attractive service to some, is not because of the "grand conspiracy" theory that many people hold, but because of your laziness in not picking up the brochure and reading it.

If something is important to me, especially if I were a first time cruiser, investing thousands of dollars on a new and never experienced vacation, I would take the time and read the sections of the brochure-that is provided to you upon request for free-that could possible affect me.

[quote name='mbisson']Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth!

I'm one of those dinosaurs who does not "need" to be in constant contact. I still find Ma Belle, or whatever telephone service available able to meet any need to touch base with whomever, wherever. Strange, isn't it??

If I had to pay XXXX to make a phone call from a ship - you better believe, it would be an absolute necessity. We do leave contact information with relatives - if they need to contact us - they can. I have no need to contact them while on vacation. If I do, the nearest phone service will suffice.

Cruising is a bargain, regardless of extra fees here and there.
Being completely free of all obligations except my personal care on a cruise is a joy no other vacation offers.

I'll pay the little extra here and there, if the occasion arises. So far, it "feels" all inclusive for us. Yeah!!
:D :D

[quote name='amjdcm']Your response is just another example of us "lazy Americans" and yes I say "us" because I am a born in the "good old USA" American but do not limit myself in my ability to self analysis and look at things through an objective lens. I do not hold my thoughts for fear of being labeled anti-American; because only through objective analysis can we learn the truth and improve ourselves. With that said...

Why is it that you need to have something told to you before you can understand its implications. If every company had to discuss every aspect of their pricing and marketing/revenue process you would not want to hear it; because most of what they had to say would be of no interest to you. You would tell them I do not have time. Oh [COLOR="Red"]"time"[/COLOR] that ever so important thing that drives our lives like a task master.

How would a reservation agent of NCL or any other cruise line know what is in your head? The answer is they DONT! So that is why they put things in print so you can read them. Oh.... that is another problem of the lazy America, we [B][U][I]don't like to [COLOR="red"]"read"[/COLOR] because we don't have the [COLOR="red"]"time".[/COLOR][/I][/U][/B]

So you see my fellow American, the reason that you felt compelled to blame NCL for their efforts in trying to provide a somewhat attractive service to some, is not because of the "grand conspiracy" theory that many people hold, but because of your laziness in not picking up the brochure and reading it.

If something is important to me, especially if I were a first time cruiser, investing thousands of dollars on a new and never experienced vacation, I would take the time and read the sections of the brochure-that is provided to you upon request for free-that could possible affect me.[/QUOTE]
Before I get flamed on the "American" issue wanted to make clear that I used the term as a generalization and not an absolute. I did not mean "all" Americas just "most".

[QUOTE]Yes it is a free market, but it would be in the interest of the cruise lines (all of them) to do a better job educating 1st time cruisers before they enter the captive market place of a ship at sea. [B]Nobody likes feeling like a sucker, and a lot of 1st timers don't come back because many of the "hidden" charges make them feel that way.[/B] Us saying "you shoulda done your homework" only exacerbates the feeling.[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]

Exactly! And the cruise lines have a knack for doing that. How about the welcome drink in a "special" glass. First time cruiser doesn't know that you pay for the "special" glass or that the same drink is available for less in a disposable cup. Course, now the second time that happens it is shame on the cruiser.

Another example of deceptive merchandising. I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices the cruise lines charge for tours. On a recent NCL Canadian/New England we docked in Halifax. [U]I had done my homework[/U] and decided that we would take the "Hop On-Hop Off" double decker bus tour. The price offered by the tour operator (Gray Line) was quite a bit less than that offered by NCL and you could pick up the bus at the pier (Pier 21). Got off the ship, found the Gray Line booth and asked for 2 tickets. The prices were those quoted for the ship. Not wanting to spend time 'on the pier' researching this problem and wasting precious shore time, I offered up my credit card for payment. "Oh, no, no said the ticket seller, we only need you cabin card". Now I am irritated, but get the ticket and do enjoy the day, until we get to the last stop (or 2nd to last stop) on the tour. There on the corner is the Gray Line tour ticket booth. Prices as advertised on the internet. Then I discovered that this corner was just a comfortable 10-15 minute walk from the pier - only in the opposite direction that the bus ran. All we had to do was walk past the tour bus parked on the pier and head into town.

I did the research. I just wasn't prepared for the deceptive (dishonest) practices of NCL. [B]AND[/B], I am not a newcomer to cruising (this was our 19th or 20th). I was, however, a newcomer to this route and to this practice. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='DocJohnB']

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Exactly! And the cruise lines have a knack for doing that. How about the welcome drink in a "special" glass. First time cruiser doesn't know that you pay for the "special" glass or that the same drink is available for less in a disposable cup. Course, now the second time that happens it is shame on the cruiser.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Another example of deceptive merchandising. I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices the cruise lines charge for tours. On a recent NCL Canadian/New England we docked in Halifax. [U]I had done my homework[/U] and decided that we would take the "Hop On-Hop Off" double decker bus tour. The price offered by the tour operator (Gray Line) was quite a bit less than that offered by NCL and you could pick up the bus at the pier (Pier 21). Got off the ship, found the Gray Line booth and asked for 2 tickets. The prices were those quoted for the ship. Not wanting to spend time 'on the pier' researching this problem and wasting precious shore time, I offered up my credit card for payment. "Oh, no, no said the ticket seller, we only need you cabin card". Now I am irritated, but get the ticket and do enjoy the day, until we get to the last stop (or 2nd to last stop) on the tour. There on the corner is the Gray Line tour ticket booth. Prices as advertised on the internet. Then I discovered that this corner was just a comfortable 10-15 minute walk from the pier - only in the opposite direction that the bus ran. All we had to do was walk past the tour bus parked on the pier and head into town.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I did the research. I just wasn't prepared for the deceptive (dishonest) practices of NCL. [B]AND[/B], I am not a newcomer to cruising (this was our 19th or 20th). I was, however, a newcomer to this route and to this practice. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[COLOR=black]I’m just curious: How much would you have saved by walking down the street?[/COLOR]

[quote name='2inTul'][COLOR=black]I’m just curious: How much would you have saved by walking down the street?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the person you directed your question to, but I've been investigating whale watch excursions in Maui for 3 of us. I emailed the Pacific Whale foundation about the excursion on their website at $22.95 per person. I mentioned that we would be visiting on the Pride of Aloha. Their reply said that NCL uses them for whale watch excursions and for convenience I might also consider booking it through NCL. So I looked at excursions at NCL.com and the whale watch I find for Maui is $64 (of course they're including transportation from the ship to where the tour starts, but I think I can beat that anyhow)

[quote name='dispachcops']I have to bring my laptop so I can upload all my pictures from my camera to my laptop so I can take more pictures.[/quote]

MY HUSBAND DOES THE SAMETHING...BUT WE DO USE OUR CELLS IN PORT TO CHECK ON THINGS AND PAY ROAMING CHARGE...ITS CHEAPER:)

[quote name='2inTul'][COLOR=black]I’m just curious: How much would you have saved by walking down the street?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Unless I can find the tour brochure, I am only guessing. But about $15 per person comes to mind.

This is probably not a good time for me to make an 'objective' report on NCL, as my fiance and I just stepped off the Crown last Sunday, and really our feet have not hit the ground yet.

I suppose this thread distills into a la carte vs prix fix preference. Someone mentioned that NCL allows people to cruise who otherwise could not afford it, and if this is true, it is not a bad thing necessarily.

I have cruised on three cruise lines other than NCL, and nobody has come close to treating me as well. Not only did we find our cruise was an exceptional value in every sense of the word, but we were almost literally treated like royalty, from the top to the bottom. We not only got what we paid for --- we got SO much more.

[quote name='sunshine 229']
Based on what I've read here and my own personal experience I have come away with the feeling that NCL seems to have an uncanny ability to cut corners and pinch pennies in ways that are almost guaranteed to get customer's backs up. [/QUOTE]

And, you are not the only person who comes along with that "feeling".

[quote name='DocJohnB']And, you are not the only person who comes along with that "feeling".[/QUOTE]Couldn't agree less with this statement.

If your remarks are correct how come NCL, like most lines I will say have so much repeat business and the ships go out full or close to full each sailng?

Nita

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Couldn't agree less with this statement.

If your remarks are correct how come NCL, like most lines I will say have so much repeat business and the ships go out full or close to full each sailng?

Nita[/quote]
I think that the ships go out full or close to full most of the time because NCL lowers the prices of the basic cruise in order to fill them.

At present you could get an inside cabin on the Nov,25th Pearl 5 night cruise for $269 dollars. That is just above $50 pp per day.

Or you could book a 7 day cruise on the Dawn for $379 pp.

Those prices are amazingly low (to me at least). I guess if you sell most of your cabins early and then lower prices to clear out the last few that wouldn't be an issue, but from what I can see there are still a lot of cabins available on those ships, which leads me to believe that a lot of the cabins on those cruises will be sold at low prices. I guess if you are selling a good percentage of your cabins at low low prices like that, you are going to have to try to make up some income somewhere else.

Still, it seems to me for a cruisline, it's not a good position to be in because the people who are snapping up those low low prices are, in my opinion, quite likely to be bargain hunters and also likely to be the type of customers who are less likely to splash out with the big bucks on discretionary spending on board.

Again, this is my opinion only, but I think NCL is in this position in part because they have already lost a lot of potential repeat business due to their attitude towards customers over the last few years and are now having to lower prices like this in order to attract new customers.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']
Nita[/QUOTE]

NMNita,

Others do agree with me . . . you just fail to read (or at least correctly interpret) what they are saying. But I believe nealstuber has said it best when he wrote:

[QUOTE]I've also found that our impressions (of NCL) are not unique - just muted by the alpha dogs of this board.[/QUOTE]

You all (AD's) do tend to attempt to quiet dissent with your glowing and vociferous defense of this line. Actually, I would expect nothing less from people so enamored of a product.

Others are just not that enamored, and wouldn't it be a truly boring board if we were.

[QUOTE]Couldn't agree less with this statement.[/QUOTE]

And that is the great thing about opinions . . . . . you don't have to agree with it. Just allow me the courtesy of disagreeing with statements you and the other NCL afficionados advocate.

[quote name='sunshine 229']I think that the ships go out full or close to full most of the time because NCL lowers the prices of the basic cruise in order to fill them.

At present you could get an inside cabin on the Nov,25th Pearl 5 night cruise for $269 dollars. That is just above $50 pp per day.

Or you could book a 7 day cruise on the Dawn for $379 pp.

Those prices are amazingly low (to me at least). I guess if you sell most of your cabins early and then lower prices to clear out the last few that wouldn't be an issue, but from what I can see there are still a lot of cabins available on those ships, which leads me to believe that a lot of the cabins on those cruises will be sold at low prices. I guess if you are selling a good percentage of your cabins at low low prices like that, you are going to have to try to make up some income somewhere else.

Still, it seems to me for a cruisline, it's not a good position to be in because the people who are snapping up those low low prices are, in my opinion, quite likely to be bargain hunters and also likely to be the type of customers who are less likely to splash out with the big bucks on discretionary spending on board.

Again, this is my opinion only, but I think NCL is in this position in part because they have already lost a lot of potential repeat business due to their attitude towards customers over the last few years and are now having to lower prices like this in order to attract new customers.[/quote]

Wow, I just stumbled across this thread and now know what some posters mean when they say people are nasty to each other.

BTAIM, DH and I will be on the Norwegian Gem in December. In the past we've cruised with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess --- all fantastic cruises. We certainly spend our fair share both onboard and in ports. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal with Norwegian, I probably would never have even looked at the line. Do I expect everything to be perfect? No, but everything would have to be horribly bad for me to not have a good time. I try not to sweat the small stuff.

[quote name='beth4652']Wow, I just stumbled across this thread and now know what some posters mean when they say people are nasty to each other.

BTAIM, DH and I will be on the Norwegian Gem in December. In the past we've cruised with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess --- all fantastic cruises. We certainly spend our fair share both onboard and in ports. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal with Norwegian, I probably would never have even looked at the line. Do I expect everything to be perfect? No, but everything would have to be horribly bad for me to not have a good time. I try not to sweat the small stuff.[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from with your comment
"I just stumbled across this thread and now know what some posters mean when they say people are nasty to each other."

If you are saying that I am being nasty to other's by implying that they are 'bargain hunters' and that is somehow a bad thing to be, I beg to disagree.

I have at times been a bargain hunter myself. On occasion I've booked a cruise that I haven't really budgeted for because I found the prices too low to resist or because I've been through a particularily stressful time and felt I really could use a vacation but hadn't set aside a lot of money for one. I certainly don't feel that there is anyting wrong with looking for a bargain...just saying that on the occasions when low price has been my primary concern when booking a cruise, minimizing discretionary expenditure on that particular cruise has also been important.

If you weren't referring to my post and were instead making reacting to posters calling other posters liars etc....well, in that case...nevermind.

What I don't understand is, if you think a company is nickel and diming you, then why do business with them? Why make a big deal and argue about something that you have control over....just sail a different line.

If you get terrible service at a restaurant, are you going back there?

Its like the people who complain about NCL not having a mandatory formal night or those who complain about the corkage fee.....if you don't like it, then why sail with them????

[quote name='DocJohnB']NMNita,

Others do agree with me . . . you just fail to read (or at least correctly interpret) what they are saying. But I believe nealstuber has said it best when he wrote:

You all (AD's) do tend to attempt to quiet dissent with your glowing and vociferous defense of this line. Actually, I would expect nothing less from people so enamored of a product.

Others are just not that enamored, and wouldn't it be a truly boring board if we were.

And that is the great thing about opinions . . . . . you don't have to agree with it. Just allow me the courtesy of disagreeing with statements you and the other NCL afficionados advocate.[/QUOTE]And who has interferred with your voicing your opinion? BTW, my last remark had nothing to do with you, nor was it directed to you? I can't speak for others on this board, but I have never denied being an NCL loyalist, but I do try to be objective. Not everything about the line impresses me. Like everything in life there are the good as well as the bad, those who choose to see the bad over the good have every right, for me, I have just never been the type that sees things that way.
If you think you are not given the courtesy perhaps you are a little too sensitive? This board is about opinions and we all have a right to express them.

Nita

Archived