HELP!! Leaving for the Eastern Caribbean next week and need excursion help.

Meglyn

We are going on the Freedom Of the Seas next week on an Eastern cruise and don't know what excursions to pick. We will port at San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. We went with Royal Caribbean excursions last year and were slightly disappointed for the price we paid. I've been told to never use the cruises excursions, but we have no clue what we are doing in order to try to book things ourselves when we get there. My boyfriend lived in Okinawa Japan and loves to snorkel, however my first ever snorkeling experience was in Grand Cayman last year. They dropped us off the middle of the ocean by a ship that had been sunk by rice and a Burger King. I couldn't keep my mask from fogging up, it was grey and colorless, and It was so crowded some strange man kept holding my hand. We have read the Royal Caribbean offerings and can't find the perfect one. I know he really wants to snorkel, but I want my second experience to me more memorable. So my dilemma is....Do we go with Royals pricey excursions, or go it alone when we reach port. Either way....What is worth the price? I am very intrigued by the America's Cup Race Sailing, but my BF doesn't want to have to work on vacation. Is it worth it? Do you really have to work on board? What is a good beach to go to for lounging and snorkeling? Where is the good food/ drinks? Is there anything we just have to try in any of the ports? Help me please!!! I'm stressing out! :)

We have done the America's Cup regatta twice and loved it both times. My then 25 year old son and assorted family and friends also loved it. Yes you do work, but it is a race and if you are of the competitive nature, it is a huge kick. I believe you are on the water about 3 hours so there is time for other things. This excursion is really one of the reasons we like to go to St. Martin. It is kind of pricey, but we all loved it.

have fun

karen

It was so crowded some strange man kept holding my hand. We have read the Royal Caribbean offerings and can't find the perfect one. I know he really wants to snorkel, but I want my second experience to me more memorable. :)
Curious minds want to know!

We did a half day sail with Jolly Mon in April in St. Thomas. The snorkeling

was really good, saw a few rays and some turtles. They only take 6 passengers, so it's not crowded, very enjoyable and a relaxing sail.

If you really like to snorkel. In St Thomas go to Trunk Bay in St Johns. It's a U.S. National underwater park well marks and patrolled by lifeguards. Go either by excursions or take a taxi to Red Hook (other end of the island 20 min ride) then the ferry to St Johns and taxi to Trunk Bay. The mask is a simple solution. Buy defogger in sports store, put a few drops of of liquid dish soap in 3 oz bottle with water, or spit into the mask. Wipe the slavia, soap solution or defogger around in the mask lens and then rinse so not touch lens after you rinse. No Fog. You enter the reef area from the beach.

Don't let any one bad experience stop you from enjoying the wonders of cruising. The world are full of bad times fortunately they only make up 1% of the world so there are 99% of fun left to find.

In SJ enjoy Old San Juan you will probably arrive late in the day & El Morro Closes at 5 PM, In St Maarteen/St Martin go over to french side Orient Beach (is clothing optional though) or visit Margot Nice shop and outdoor straw market. Nice Cafe's by the waterfront.

We did a half day sail with Jolly Mon in April in St. Thomas. The snorkeling

was really good, saw a few rays and some turtles. They only take 6 passengers, so it's not crowded, very enjoyable and a relaxing sail.

We did this one in July and it was a wonderful excursion. Gayle (one of the owners) will snorkel with you and point out all kinds of things you'd miss otherwise. I'd highly recommend this one. Go to www.jollymon.com and check it out.

I find this thread so strange. And it just goes to show the differences in people. :D I book my cruises 1-2 years in advance (depending on how soon the new iteneraries come out) and have my excursions (if I decided to do an excursion) selected at least 6 months in advance. I can't get my mind around looking for help a week before a cruise. :eek: I am thinking the OP and I are polar opposites on the "planning" scale. :)

Oh yeah, and about that hand holding........

We had an amazing day snorkeling with Captain Nautica last year in St. Thomas. They have fast boats that get you to the best sites before anyone else and they do a great job ensuring that everyone understands how to use the equipment. We went to a site to see Sea Turtles and then on to St. John which was soooo beautiful. We are hooked on snorkeling now! The employees were helpful and fun - they really know how to make the most of your day.

I would highly recommend that you check out their website and you can probably book ahead of time. captainnautica.com

I find this thread so strange. And it just goes to show the differences in people. :D I book my cruises 1-2 years in advance (depending on how soon the new iteneraries come out) and have my excursions (if I decided to do an excursion) selected at least 6 months in advance. I can't get my mind around looking for help a week before a cruise. :eek: I am thinking the OP and I are polar opposites on the "planning" scale. :)

Oh yeah, and about that hand holding........

My guess is the OP was on a very crowded snorkel tour and a man kept grabbing her hand instead of his significant other's hand. We did the castaway girl catamaran and snorkel tour in St Thomas and there were 75 people on the boat. Once in the water all were trying to follow one guide and it was a nightmare, never again! While I didn't have someone grab my hand, I was kicked repeatedly and run over by a huge woman.

Megalyn: I have a place I go to in St Thomas that I found when someone on these boards recommended it to me..Have used it several times since 2001...I will give you the info in an email if you are interested...My email is Danboy at that aol place...

Dan

If you really like to snorkel. In St Thomas go to Trunk Bay in St Johns. It's a U.S. National underwater park well marks and patrolled by lifeguards. Go either by excursions or take a taxi to Red Hook (other end of the island 20 min ride) then the ferry to St Johns and taxi to Trunk Bay. The mask is a simple solution. Buy defogger in sports store, put a few drops of of liquid dish soap in 3 oz bottle with water, or spit into the mask. Wipe the slavia, soap solution or defogger around in the mask lens and then rinse so not touch lens after you rinse. No Fog. You enter the reef area from the beach.

Don't let any one bad experience stop you from enjoying the wonders of cruising. The world are full of bad times fortunately they only make up 1% of the world so there are 99% of fun left to find.

In SJ enjoy Old San Juan you will probably arrive late in the day & El Morro Closes at 5 PM, In St Maarteen/St Martin go over to french side Orient Beach (is clothing optional though) or visit Margot Nice shop and outdoor straw market. Nice Cafe's by the waterfront.

gnparend - I just wanted to say that I really like your posts; I think you give great, accurate, succinct information.

Coki Beach in St Thomas has really good snorkeling also. In fact, this year, we actually thought it was just as nice as Trunk (we were on a B2B so went to Trunk one day and Coki the next week). Coki is smaller, but if you get there early and go all the way to the rocks on the left, the snorkeling is really good. We were actually disappointed in Trunk this time, so next time we go to St John's we will try some of the other beaches that have been recommended there. Although I haven't been, Sapphire Beach is supposed to have great snorkeling, so that is another option. And both Coki and Sapphire is a much shorter trip that going over to St John's

I second going to Orient in St Maarten. No snorkeling, but a great beach. you can rent waverunners, parasail, relax, enjoy. We love it there.

San Juan - just walk around and enjoy the place. Both El Moro and San Cristabel are great forts. My DH could spend hours at El Moro and the views from there are fantastic.

Enjoy!!

We have done all the islands before by renting Villa's-- and we are going to St. John USVI in November and then doiung the cruise of the islands in May. Can;t recommend anything in St. Thomas but the beaches in St. John are outstandin-- it's a simple ferry ride away.

In St. Martin-- Orient Beach-- as someone else recommended is nice-- there is a separate nude area but people tend to walk back and forth--parading--there is a great restaurant on Orient Beach run by folks from NJ-there are tons of license plates all over the porch of the restaurant-- can;t remember the name of it-- but there food is outrageous- and their desserts to die for!! Not badly priced. In st. Martin one of the best places to go , if there is time is Pinel Island-- the most beautiful beaches, nice restaurants and actually reasonable priced clothing for sale-- but the beach is wonderful-- and beautiful-- will definitely go there again. Where ever you go enjoy-- its heaven on earth!!!!! ( if you go to the French side of St. Martin remember they use Euros so things are far more expensive than marked!! When we were there it was over 30% more than the listed price.

St Thomas is our favorite port and we have always done ship excursions and been pleased. We did castaway girl and had a very pleasant experience. We have been to Turtle Bay and that was my favorite - loved snorkeling with the sea turtles. We even did the Kon Tiki party boat the first time but you don't get snorkeling on that one.Another nice thing we have done on St Thomas is take the tram to Paradise Point. The view is breathtaking and the bushwhackers are awesome ;). We do that last of course!!

San Juan - I agree just walking around the Old City is fun and El Morro is very special. We always hit the Coach outlet and the Polo outlet! All sorts of wonderful restaurants and bars in OSJ.

St Martin - we did the catamaran excursion when we went - that was our first cruise so it's a bit of a blur now but I remembered it was quite enjoyable.

We have done the America's Cup regatta twice and loved it both times. My then 25 year old son and assorted family and friends also loved it. Yes you do work, but it is a race and if you are of the competitive nature, it is a huge kick. I believe you are on the water about 3 hours so there is time for other things. This excursion is really one of the reasons we like to go to St. Martin. It is kind of pricey, but we all loved it.

have fun

karen

Out of all our cruises and excursions, this is the BEST excursion we have ever done. I went on this because my husband wanted to do it, but I ended up having a great time! I didn't realize how fast those go- it is almost like Nascar on water. I had a blast- would definately recommend it, and I would love to do it again.

For the ports you mentioned you can easily do excursions on your own. Check the ports of call threads as there is some great info to be found there.

I have heard great things about the America's Cup regetta. I don't recall hearing any complaints about this excursion so I am sure you will have lots of fun. In St. Martin we did a land/boat tour of the island through the ship (Grand Explorer and Island Tour). For our upcoming cruise we plan to catch a cab to Orient Beach however the America's Cup regetta was high on my list and definitely something I hope to do in the future.

In San Juan, we walked around Old San Juan. Frommers Ports of Call book has a great walking tour that you can do on your own.

In St. Thomas we took a cab to Magen's Bay. This beach receives mixed reviews on this board but the day we went there was hardly anybody else there. You could always catch the ferry over to St. John and go to one of the beaches there as well.

Archived