Do you repeat dinner outfits or wear something different each night?

LeslieSJ

You will have to tell us the secret of packing. See that you are going on a 28 day cruise in November so that is 56 outfits. How do you get 56 outfits with shoes in 2 50lb suitcases?

I do plan on going over on luggage allowance on this one (already budgeted for the overage). There are two of us going - so we get 4 suitcases.

But I will probably have to use the laundry service on board to have enough clothes for the second 14 day cruise as i have to pack for temp variances from the low 50's to high 90's during the 5 weeks that we are gone. So I will probably have to wear something again. On shoes, I really don't bring that many regular shoes - I do bring at least 3-4 pair of dance shoes that can substitute as additional formal night shoes provided that we do not walk out on deck.

But for a 14 day cruise even with pre and post cruise stays makeing our time away from home 21 days and temp variances ranging from the high 90's to the low 50;s, I have never worn the same thing twice.

Ladies

Help... this is my first X Cruise and since it's a 10 niter I get 3 formal nites...:eek: Do you wear "gowns" all 3 formal nites or can I wear cocktail dress,cocktail skirt as formal wear.

I only have one gown and don't want to buy new clothes.. I'm in betw/sizes

Thanks in advance

CuriousCat

I don't wear/bring three gowns. It's just too much. I might bring one... the other nights I'll wear a long skirt/fancy top or even a "little black dress". On a three-formal-night cruise, we usually go to the alternative dining room on the 2nd formal night... that's when I would wear a formal outfit a second time so I'd only need to bring two on the cruise. I tend to wear a gown, if I bring one, on the first formal night... by the end of the cruise the dressing up for dinner thing has gotten old. ;) But to answer your question, yes... you can wear a cocktail dress or skirt. Those really full dress pants that look like a long skirt is another choice. Dress whatever you're wearing up with heels and some sparkly jewelry and you'll be fine. IMHO.

I over pack by a HUGE amount - then I 'edit' my packing so I'm only slightly over packed. I often recycle parts of outfits - pants/skirts/jackets/camis (not shirts, I'm a spiller). I take lots of shoes compared to many of the other posters. I find the best control for packing and to still have lots of outfits, is to limit your color palette. Choose 1, 2, or 3 main colors (neutrals are always good), then choose some clothing (jacket/blouse/cami) or some accessory pieces (shawl/scarf/belt/shoes) in accent colors. Make sure every clothing item can be worn with 2 or more outfits. This way you'll have lots of outfits and lots of color or no color, whatever suits your fancy.:)

curiouscat - I always where gowns or full length skirts for formal nights, BUT... You will fit in perfectly on formal night in a cocktail dress or skirt. My favorite phrase on any vacation is, "It' a vacation, NOT a suffocation". I'm sure you'll look great and you'll feel appropriate. Enjoy!!!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

I would not have noticed that a woman at our table on the Century wore the same thing to both formal nights--except for the fact I had photos. Of course I was wearing the same tuxedo, although with a different set of studs on the second night. And I only take two additional pairs of slacks--one khaki for casual nights and one navy for informal nights. There's always laundering available if necessary.

For a few weeks I've been focusing on a trip where I have to pack super light and be creative about re-wearing outfits. Now that I'm back to thinking about our 11 nighter on Connie next February I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing certain dresses more than once or if that is not a done thing.

I know it's a personal decision but I'm just wondering how many of you recycle your dinner wardrobe. I think I remember reading about women taking a separate suitcase just for their shoes and then others who say they take just one pair of dressy sandals. Do most fall somewhere in between those two extremes?

I will repeat a skirt or slacks but I wear a differant blouse every night.

I would not have noticed that a woman at our table on the Century wore the same thing to both formal nights--except for the fact I had photos. Of course I was wearing the same tuxedo, although with a different set of studs on the second night. And I only take two additional pairs of slacks--one khaki for casual nights and one navy for informal nights. There's always laundering available if necessary.

When we first started cruising in 2000 I bought two formal outfits---a black dress with a beaded jacket and a blue beaded thingy. The blue became too big (how I love to say that) but I still have the black. I can't tell one cruise picture from the other because I have worn that black dress, even tho' I did have to buy a new jacket for it a year or two ago, on every cruise. I guess you can tell I am not a clothes horse, but I think I manage to not embarrass my DH or our tablemates. Uh-oh, I did also buy a white outfit two years ago.

The bottom line is, wear what follows the dress code and what you are comfortable with.

Mom and I went on a 17 night cruise. I was determined not to ever wear the same outfit twice for dinner. By the last two dinners we were exchanging clothes. I would wear a blouse of hers, for example, and wear it in a different way than she did, with different accessories so it was not noticeable that it was the same thing she wore. She borrowed a black jacket and wore it with a skirt instead of dress pants with a scarf instead of a necklace. Just try and take things that can be worn in different ways.

I do think it is more fun to be different every night.

Also make sure you have a spare evening dress. A table mate had her zipper break on her right before dinner on formal night and she only brought one dress. She had to buy one from the ship's shop. She said she had several at home to choose from. If she had thought to bring a spare.

I use to wear a different outfit every night & perish the thought of wearing it twice. Due to strict airlines weight & limit of bags & size I now have to rethink everything that I pack. I find it much more diffuclt to pack now then before. We even bought a scale & weigh the baggage after it's packed so we do not have to shuffle at the airport which we had to do! Shuffling clothes at the airport is so embrassing especially when you are returning & your trying to keep your dirty clothes from falling out of the suitcase.

"I too wear a different outfit every nite that is original and color coordinated cause the cameras from ET will be there photographing me":D

Thanks for the heads up about the gown... I didn't think so but if you read some of the X threads on "dress codes" it made you wonder. I'll just do as I do on my past 10+ cruises....

CuriousCat

"I too wear a different outfit every nite that is original and color coordinated cause the cameras from ET will be there photographing me":D

Thanks for the heads up about the gown... I didn't think so but if you read some of the X threads on "dress codes" it made you wonder. I'll just do as I do on my past 10+ cruises....

CuriousCat

HA! I was the same way. I read some of those "dress codes" threads and really got to worrying about my clothes. I thought and worried about it for a few days and then posted a what are you wearing? question on the roll call thread. Many had the same idea that I did, so that helped my feelings alot. Yes, there was the ones with their nose stuck up in the air with their fancy outfits every night. But the biggest part of us were normal dress.

Also, X had a few opening seating nights. Many came in the clothes they wore off the ship that day.

We are doing an 11 night on Century and some additional nights before and after, including several in Paris. We have 6 informal nights, 3 formal, and 2 casual. I am bringing relatively dressy white trousers and very nice black slacks and a bunch of lightweight, easy to pack tops for all but the formal nights. I bring one pair of strappy black sandals to wear every night. I just said to a co worker today--"who cares. Once you sit down they can only see you from the waist up anyway!" I haven't attempted to fit it into the suitcase yet, though!

I agree with the poster who said "if it doesn't go with at least two other items, leave it at home" and I am going to use that motto for packing day wear. I think at this time of year day wear takes up way more room than evening wear!

[quote name='LeslieSJ']Lots of good advice - thanks! Sounds like I need to find some black palazzo pants and I'll be set.[/QUOTE]
If you are comfortable buying online, Chadwicks usually has nice quality palazzo pants in neutral colors for a very reasonable price.

I have also discovered the joy of separates. Over the past several years, I've been slowly replacing my cruise wear with high quality, wrinkle resistant pieces. I can mix and match, although I will rinse out my tops between wearings. They will dry overnight, but I don't wear the same top 2 days in a row.
I have a lovely black cocktail dress I use for formal nights. I will absolutely wear the same dress for multiple formal nights. I take 2 or 3 wraps with me and wear different jewelry, and maybe change my shoes, so it's a different look. I try to limit myself to one pair of evening shoes, but will bring 2 on longer cruises. If we are driving to the port, I usually pack a bit heavier since we don't have to worry about luggage allowances. Or losing luggage.
Great tips here. Thanks for sharing.

[quote name='barbara11758']The shoes! The Shoes! The Shoes!
On my next cruise I promise to take no more than 5 pairs. Probably all black. I am also going to coordinate most of the clothes so that I can mix and match. Chicos travellers are the best. And I don't even own stock.
Regards, Barbara[/QUOTE]
I agree - hooray for Chico's travellers. Didn't bring gown(s) with me on this last cruise for formal nights and mixed and matched two lovely Chico's dressy 3 piece pants outfits and used the (2) pants for informal nights as well with a few different tops. Also had a pretty knitted openwork shawl which I used on different nights when I didn't wear the jackets. This was the first time I didn't bring different gowns for the formals and was very happy with the variety of outfits by mixing and matching. I'll do it again in March on a 12 nt. t/a. I'll try to keep to one pair of strappy sandals for all formal/informal nights this time as well. It's still a work in progress, but I'm learning how to economize on space!

Barb

Archived