Do you repeat dinner outfits or wear something different each night?

LeslieSJ

For a few weeks I've been focusing on a trip where I have to pack super light and be creative about re-wearing outfits. Now that I'm back to thinking about our 11 nighter on Connie next February I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing certain dresses more than once or if that is not a done thing.

I know it's a personal decision but I'm just wondering how many of you recycle your dinner wardrobe. I think I remember reading about women taking a separate suitcase just for their shoes and then others who say they take just one pair of dressy sandals. Do most fall somewhere in between those two extremes?

On those longer trips I find that a long black dress or skirt or palazzo pants (black) with a number of different tops works great. I have a long black knit sleeveless dress that works with so many different tops that it's no problem packing. Consider that or a long skirt and add variations for tops. It's great. After taking so many outfits that matched we hit on this idea and all my "female" friends find this is the best way to travel, especially when you fly and are limited on luggage.

Have a great trip!

Pat C

I agree with PatC, I take black georgette palazzo pants, several tops and one pair of dressy sandals. So does my sister. Our mother, on the other hand, takes waaaaaaaay too much of everything. If hubby's shoes didn't take up so much room (size 15, they're suitcases in themselves!) we would be carry on only fliers. Homeport to homeport we take a little more... :D

You can't go wrong with black and then change the tops....I have a black dress that I "change" with different accessories and shoes.

I have a seamstress that made me long interchangable skirts. Outside is one fabric, the inside another..I turn it inside out and wear it twice...:) If you sew or have a seamstress ask them about making one for you.

I hate packing and will do just about anything to be able to pack light!!;)

We're doing a 15 night in November with 3 days pre-cruise in Hawaii and 6 days post cruise in N.Z. so I've been rethinking wardrobe choices to try and lighten the load. I've decided to cut down on the number of tops by wearing one with a long black skirt on informal nights and then wearing the same top with slacks later on a casual night. I'd be surprised if anyone even notices!

Like almost everyone else, I take one pair of dressy pumps. They are a slip on silver with rhinestones and I wear them with pants and dresses. Last year I was on a 13 night cruise and I wore one of my formal dresses twice, then on informal I had a pair of dressy black pants and just changed the tops on different nights. Don't overpack your casual wear either, on sea days I just wore my bathing suit and a cover up.

You need that extra space for souvenirs!!

Certainly I 'recycle' outfits. Suit jacket w/ dressy slacks one night, skirt the next, etc. Honestly, no one notices if you wear the same outfit Tues. night and then again on Thurs. or Fri. Ship's way too big for that. I admit to overpacking shoes, though. I read once that you only need 3 pair - flipflops or beach-y sandals, walking shoes, and shoes suitable for evening. Well, I took a few more than that!

I also do the mix and match thing. I bring one dressy pair of pants, one long black skirt and a couple tops (one or two dressy, one or two less dressy but "nice" for informal nights... like a silk blouse or beaded sweater set). These I mix and match for formal and informal nights. It's important to remember that when dining, you only see the upper half of your table mates anyway. lol I wear the same pair of black dress heels. Occasionally I'll throw in a pair of rhinestone toe clips. On longer cruises I also bring a "little black dress".

When I pack I have three piles... one is the "must go" pile, one is a "maybe... if there's room" pile... and the last is the "not this time" pile. When it comes to putting things from the maybe pile in the suitcase, I try to remember this rule: when in doubt, leave it out. ;) Another rule I read on these boards that helps when packing... take half as many clothes as you think you need and twice as much money.

Go for it. No one will notice. Do you remember from one night to the next what your tablemates wear?

Once I did....a fabulous woman...in her 60's..who looked fabulous and had wonderful clothes. Couldn't wait to see what she wore each night...very classy gal...great conversation....and she could have worn a feedbag and looked great in it.:)

Sometimes on a cruise I'll play "clothes horse" and bring a different outfit (including shoes) for every single day and every single evening. Other times, I'll go for packing light and will mix and match. Either way is fine, and works for me, so do what works for you!

:confused: What did I wear last night ?? :confused: I never remember from day to day what any one wore, unless it was something really, really outstanding, in one way or another !

I do tend to take too many changes, but we always take 14/15 day cruises.

Next cruise, I will NOT over pack, I will NOT over pack ! Yea, right! :o:o

I did the "mix 'n match" thing on our E. Med cruise earlier this month and I will definitely go that route again! I used to take different gowns for formal nights, outfits for informal and then casual, etc.etc. No more of that! It's amazing what a few pair of black pants (palazzo, tailored) can accomplish with different tops. I always felt I looked good and "put together." I still took too much, but I'm off to a good start for our March cruise. Now, if I could only cut down on those shoes.:D

Most of the clothes I love, and wear year round, adding a layer if necessary, are tea-length rayon floral dresses that I dress up with accessories when I want to.

They wash out quickly (4 minutes, tops) and hang dry overnight, so although I use very little room in my suitcase, I always have a choice of 6 clean, pretty dresses to wear. On our typical 16 to 18 day vacation, I'll wear each of them 2 to 4 times.

This is how I've beaten the packing conundrum. :D

I'm not concerned if people see me in the same outfit multiple times. Why should they care? After all, Paris Hilton is the only person I've heard admit that they only wear an outfit once before giving it away, so I'm suspecting that pretty much everyone on the cruise wears their clothing multiple times at home. ;)

Don't worry about what others are thinking. If you are a caring conversationalist, they'll be dazzled by YOU more than what you're wearing.

Happy cruising to all,

Susan

I agree with the mix and match. Black pants can go a long way.

I also tell people, if something does not match two things that you are taking, don't take it. This helps eliminate pants of a color that can only be worn with one top.

I think the more you cruise -- the more you realize that the people and the fun times are a lot more important than the clothes you take.

Black knit skirt and pants are great for travel. Depending on the top its casual or dressy. I love formal sparkly stuff so I usually bring one for each formal night on cruises. But I keep these light weight - no heavy beading.

When we travel I take a lot of non wrinkle poly skirts with coordinating tops - mostly knits. It maybe strange but in some countries I don't want pants touching the floor in the restrooms. Skirts are so much easier to manage.

Well, I bring one nice dress and then a skirt and a couple of nice tops for the formal nights. The rest of the nights I have nice cocktail dresses. I tend to not bring a lot of stuff, to the point that sometimes I think to myself that I should have brought more. I always find clothes to combine!

Nobody cares if you wear something twice or three times... Just have fun (and there's always dry cleaning!)

Cruising is the only time I get to wear my evening and cocktail and so yes I do tend to bring a dress for each evening. Crazy I know but I can't resist buying especially if I see a bargain and I am very good at finding BARGAINS!

I no longer take as many shoes or bags who needs to take 3-4 evening bags. It is the excess baggage costs to worry about but if I have to pay then I pay!

Leaving in 3 weeks for Century and have had Flu/Chest infection for nearly 2 weeks so under the weather. Taking the antibiotics since Thursday.

Sue

I don't wear the same thing twice on a cruise. In fact I usually wear 2 outfits during the day besides swimwear. I like to put on fresh clothes each morning and after a shower.

You will have to tell us the secret of packing. See that you are going on a 28 day cruise in November so that is 56 outfits. How do you get 56 outfits with shoes in 2 50lb suitcases?

I stick to 4 colors on the bottom. Brown, Tan, Black and Blue Jeans. I also have a Black, Tan, and Brown skirt. I then have a simple solid black evening gown that I have different wraps to match with it. My tops are different colors, but one rule when shopping is that the top MUST be able to match all the colors of my bottoms.

My shoes depend on the trip. If I'm going somewhere tropical then I don't need alot of shoes.

Many land base tours will only allow you 1 suitcase for the entire trip. Toss in the airline requirements that equals out to 1 suitcase with a weight limit of 55 pounds or 75 pounds depending on the airline. Not alot of options on your clothes.

I either wash my clothes or send them out to be washed.

there are so many suggestions that are great..i agree with most of them...

but I have to add my 2 cents..i also bring a white pair of pants for the dining room..they too can be matched with anything...

'a cruise is what you want it to be..why stress over it..it is a vacation"

:)

Archived