Just got off the Connie TA this past Thursday

momofmeg

Your post for me was a bit confusing. Pay extra for desert. Where?? I thought they stopped the extra charge for deserts in the main dining room a long time ago.

We were outraged that the deserts were extra

On the Connie, there were a few desserts and coffees (cappacinos, expressos, lattes etc.) listed in this little book on our table. None of the desserts listed I would have been interested in anyway except the tiramsui. I saw it nowhere on ship, not even in the Oceanliners (Connie's specialty restuarant), there I had chocolate mousse in a crepe, instead of chocolate mousse layered in cake or chocolate mousse alone.

I am not outraged, there was lots of good stuff, just a little dispointed.

Your post for me was a bit confusing. Pay extra for desert. Where?? I thought they stopped the extra charge for deserts in the main dining room a long time ago.

We were outraged that the deserts were extra

On the Connie, there were a few desserts and coffees (cappacinos, expressos, lattes etc.) listed in this little book on our table. None of the desserts listed I would have been interested in anyway except the tiramsui. I saw it nowhere on ship, not even in the Oceanliners (Connie's specialty restuarant), there I had chocolate mousse in a crepe, instead of chocolate mousse layered in cake or chocolate mousse alone.

I am not outraged, there was lots of good stuff, just a little dispointed.

No, I have never paid extra for Taramisu....it has always

been on the "regular menu" as a choice for dessert.

They have always had an additional menu for "adult beverage

desserts"....example, flaming coffees and such.

But I have never been charged for Taramisu.

I love it, but not enough to pay for it.

I was on this cruise, and I didn't see any "little book". Was this at your dining table? I'm thinking maybe it was listed in the menu for after dinner liqueurs and drinks. Is that what you're talking about?

Garry

We had the little book, with the extra charge special deserts, something like $7.95 each, what a joke. I can see charging for the coffees etc but not the deserts. The next cruise we did not see it and were relieved that they stopped charging for deserts. Now seems its back.

I was on this cruise, and I didn't see any "little book". Was this at your dining table? I'm thinking maybe it was listed in the menu for after dinner liqueurs and drinks. Is that what you're talking about?

Garry

Yes, Garry that is it. It was more a little booklet then book I guess.

No, I have never paid extra for Taramisu....it has always

been on the "regular menu" as a choice for dessert.

They have always had an additional menu for "adult beverage

desserts"....example, flaming coffees and such.

But I have never been charged for Taramisu.

I love it, but not enough to pay for it.

Lois, we had a super price for this cruise and in case Brad is interested, we only paid $200 a person more for this 12 day repositioning cruise for a balcony stateroom then we paid for our 7 day balcony stateroom cruise on Caribbean Princess last October.

We also used our skymiles and flew to London for $25! To bad England's pound was not over $2 in our money and the euro a $1.40! We would have really cleaned up! LOL!!

So I did not mind the charge for the tiramsui! I love chocolate mousse just as much and that was not an extra charge, (as my waistline will attest too unfortunately!) fancy coffees always cost extra, so I did not feel cheated.

I was just wondering if this was just this cruise, because of the unusally low fares or if that is always true.

We had the little book, with the extra charge special deserts, something like $7.95 each, what a joke. I can see charging for the coffees etc but not the deserts. The next cruise we did not see it and were relieved that they stopped charging for deserts. Now seems its back.

It was $5.99 on our cruise.

Tiramisu is a liqueur... I bet that's what you saw in the book and thought it was the dessert made with Tiramisu, for which it's named. I'm actually drinking it right now as I sit here reading this message!! I love it... it's an Italian liqueur, kinda like Khalua or Tia Maria... dark, sweet. I usually bring a bottle (or two!) back from my Carribean cruises. :)

Tiramisu is a liqueur... I bet that's what you saw in the book and thought it was the dessert made with Tiramisu, for which it's named. I'm actually drinking it right now as I sit here reading this message!! I love it... it's an Italian liqueur, kinda like Khalua or Tia Maria... dark, sweet. I usually bring a bottle (or two!) back from my Carribean cruises. :)

No there was a list of desserts and a list of coffees with liquers and coffees without liquers.

What else was on the list that was a dessert beside the Tiramisu? I don't think Tiramisu is typically served in coffee so you wouldn't find it on the coffee menus. It's more of an after dinner sipping liqueur.

Tiramisu is an Italian dessert, certainly nothing you could sip :)

You are both right.

Tiramisu - A cordial/after dinner drink that tastes like the famous Sicilian dessert (espresso, chocolate, cappuccino mousse)

Tiramisu is an Italian dessert typically made from sponge finger biscuits, espresso coffee, mascarpone cheese, eggs, cream, sugar, Marsala wine, cocoa, and rum. The Italian name tiramisù means "pick-me-up" (metaphorically, "make me happy,"), a reference to the two caffeine-containing ingredients, espresso and cocoa.

History There is some debate regarding tiramisu's origin, as there is no documented mention of the dessert before 1983. In 1998, Fernando and Tina Raris similarly claimed that the dessert is a recent invention. They point out that while the recipes and histories of other layered desserts are very similar, the first documented mention of tiramisu in a published work appears in a Greek cookbook. Backing up this story, the authors recalled an article that tiramisu was created in 1971 in Treviso.

Some claim that it was first created in Northern Italy during the First World War. Women made these desserts for their men to take with them as they were being sent off to war. They might have believed the high caffeine and energy content of these desserts would give their men more energy to fight and help bring them home safely.

Another story regarding tiramisu dates back even further. It is said that during the Renaissance periods, Venetian women made these to be shared with their men during the late hours because they believed it would give them the energy to make more vigorous love later.

A different take on this story is that Venetian prostitutes, living above cafés, would order this as a late night pick-me-up.

A less glamorous theory explains that the dessert was a way of salvaging old cake and coffee that had gone cold by using the leftover coffee and perhaps some liqueur to moisten the dry cake. The dish was greatly improved by layering it with cream or cream cheese.

It been awhile since I seen the little menu but something tells me that the desserts were ones made with Liquior so the charge was for the beverage part.

I make a killer tiramisu, and it has lots of alcohol in it, so possibly that's why there is an extra charge. Also, good tiramisu is made with mascarpone, which is very expensive. If it was a really good, authentic tiramisu, I wouldn't mind paying for it, but I would be choked if I paid an extra fee and got one of those pale imitations, sans liqueur, sans mascarpone, that are served so often in restaurants.

Did anyone have the tiramisu? How was it? What other desserts were offered for a fee?

I will REALLY be depressed if they start charging for better quality desserts on Celebrity. :(

I can now finally accept the extra charge alternative restaurants. The extra charge bugged me for years. I dont like Celebritys alt dining too much because your so limited on what they let you order only 3 courses, but a different topic.

The main dining room should be all included and they should not have better or higher end deserts for an extra charge.

Next you will see better or higher end entrees for an extra charge on one side of the menu and included items on the other.

They had stopped this extra charge for deserts a while back. I cant believe its back.

My opinion, if it cannot be included don't offer it.

I would probably fall into the category of X cheerleader as we've had marvelous experiences on all of our X cruises. We are definitely "the glass is half full people". Since 2001, we've been on 6 M class cruises, sailing on all 4 M ships and we've never noticed a menu for extra charge desserts. I'm shocked and saddened that X would stoop this low for another add-on charge. We'll be on Millennium next month so I'll be on the look out for it. Just charge a tiny bit more for the cruise - this is insulting.

I would probably fall into the category of X cheerleader as we've had marvelous experiences on all of our X cruises. We are definitely "the glass is half full people". Since 2001, we've been on 6 M class cruises, sailing on all 4 M ships and we've never noticed a menu for extra charge desserts. I'm shocked and saddened that X would stoop this low for another add-on charge. We'll be on Millennium next month so I'll be on the look out for it. Just charge a tiny bit more for the cruise - this is insulting.

Ditto. And we will be on Constellation next month.

Loved it! but one thing I wanted to ask-do you always pay extra for tirimasu? I loved that and the chocolate mousse and was disapointed the tirmasui was pay extra-one good thing though-I had TONS of chocolate mousse-I had it every day!

Two things: most important(?) first.....how did you get chocolate mousse every day? Is it one of those things that is always offerred on the menu?:) Second, how was the food in the dining room? Did you notice any difference with the departure of Michel Roux? (I hope not.) :confused:

I make a killer tiramisu, and it has lots of alcohol in it, so possibly that's why there is an extra charge. Also, good tiramisu is made with mascarpone, which is very expensive. If it was a really good, authentic tiramisu, I wouldn't mind paying for it, but I would be choked if I paid an extra fee and got one of those pale imitations, sans liqueur, sans mascarpone, that are served so often in restaurants.

Did anyone have the tiramisu? How was it? What other desserts were offered for a fee?

I will REALLY be depressed if they start charging for better quality desserts on Celebrity. :(

I know what you mean. I got some of the cheap kind on a disney cruise in their lido. it was horrible-but in their specialty restuarant it was great-obviously two very differant things.

Two things: most important(?) first.....how did you get chocolate mousse every day? Is it one of those things that is always offerred on the menu?:) Second, how was the food in the dining room? Did you notice any difference with the departure of Michel Roux? (I hope not.) :confused:

Well it was offered every day in differant forms. Sometimes in the lido, sometimes in the dinningroom but I had it every day-but in variations. Often it is layered in a cake. In the Oceanliner's restuarant it comes with a crepe that was hardened and candied sort've-maybe not a crepe but that Italian cookie? I also got it several times just mousse in a cup, a couple of times a chocolate mocha mousse in a cup.

I have only taken one other Celebrity cruise and both times I thought the food was very good-but many on my roll call felt it was not up to Celebrity standards-all I can say is it beat RCI any day.

Archived