Which day do they change time zones when at sea?

maritimer

Does anyone know how I can find out which day the time change occurs? We want to tell people what time to watch the wedding cam.

The wedding is taking place on the Emerald at sea between the Bahamas and St Thomas, but which time zone?

At 2pm on 8th November (the ceremony time on the Emerald Princess) in the Bahamas it is 19:00 GMT

BUT

At 2pm on 8th November (the ceremony time on the Emerald Princess) in St Thomas it is 18:00 GMT

I have been trying to find out from Princess whether they will change the ship's time to St Thomas time at midnight on the 7th, or midnight on the 8th, but they could only suggest asking the purser once we board the ship.

Any information or ideas about how we could find out would be appreciated.

Thanks

Since the cruise right before yours is the exact same itinerary and is, like yours, in the Bahamas and St. Thomas AFTER the switch from Daylight Savings Time, you could try asking someone of the rollcall for that cruise to find out for you once they're onboard what day the time switch is and letting you know. It should be the same for your cruise.

The last time we sailed the eastern route on Princess, they moved the clock ahead the first night out of Ft Lauderdale. So 2pm on the ship would be 1pm on the east coast, 10am in California if they still adjust.

The cruise before yours actually has the standard time change right in the middle (clocks go back early Sunday November 4th (or late Saturday night if you prefer LOL) this year, not the last Sunday of October as in years past). I don't think this will affect them at the start of their trip with regards to changing ships time leaving FLL heading to the Bahamas. But St Thomas stays on standard time all year, so I think up to Nov 4, St Thomas is on the same time as Florida, so that prior cruise might not even change their clocks until after they leave St Thomas.

I think I should have stayed out of this one. Now my head is spinning in circles. Doesn't take much!:p

Bill

You should feel how much my head was spinning trying to figure it out myself LOL.

Does anyone know how I can find out which day the time change occurs? We want to tell people what time to watch the wedding cam.

The wedding is taking place on the Emerald at sea between the Bahamas and St Thomas, but which time zone?

At 2pm on 8th November (the ceremony time on the Emerald Princess) in the Bahamas it is 19:00 GMT

BUT

At 2pm on 8th November (the ceremony time on the Emerald Princess) in St Thomas it is 18:00 GMT

I have been trying to find out from Princess whether they will change the ship's time to St Thomas time at midnight on the 7th, or midnight on the 8th, but they could only suggest asking the purser once we board the ship.

Any information or ideas about how we could find out would be appreciated.

Thanks

Actually the GMT times you stated are wrong. For example if it is 8:00AM EDT Monday in North Carolina, It is 7 AM CDT Monday in Chicago, but it is 1300 UTC monday all over the world (even on space station Freedom whose local time is the same as Moscow's)

Why not find out what time the you will be doing the deed ( I mean getting married:D) in UTC (the prefered term). Then it won't matter what ship's time is. Plus the time will match the numbers on the clock in the Cam window.

Your virtual guests will only need to know what the conversion will be from UTC to their local time.

Try this Link

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Lester

Just have the guest not sailing with you check the webcam at a couple different times too, just to be sure they did not figure the time wrong. Would hate to miss the wedding. They could make a party of it at home, with drinks and munchies! Probably be able to see a glimpse of the pre-events on the web cam.

BUT

Actually the GMT times you stated are wrong. For example if it is 8:00AM EDT Monday in North Carolina, It is 7 AM CDT Monday in Chicago, but it is 1300 UTC monday all over the world (even on space station Freedom whose local time is the same as Moscow's)

Why not find out what time the you will be doing the deed ( I mean getting married:D) in UTC (the prefered term). Then it won't matter what ship's time is.

Actually, I think that the OP is correct.

On 8 November, the Bahamas will have ended daylight saving time (on 4 November) and will be on GMT (or UTC) -5. So 1400 local time in the Bahamas will be 1900 GMT/UTC (source).

However, the US Virgin Islands don't have daylight saving time and will be on GMT/UTC-4, and so 1400 local time will be 1800 GMT/UTC (source). When it's 1400 in the US Virgin Islands, it will only be 1300 in the Bahamas.

I suspect that one difficulty is that nobody on the ship or Princess will be working on anything other than ship time, so it'll be almost impossible to ask anyone at what time GMT/UTC the ceremony will be. Even if the OP gets an answer, it'll probably be wrong!

Thanks for the link Globaliser. I had mistakenly thought the Bahamas was on Atlantic, when they are in fact on Eastern, and they do follow daylight savings time. So, right now, it is the same time in Florida, Bahamas and St Thomas, until standard time resumes in November. Still doesn't answer when or if they will change the shipboard time though LOL.

Globaliser has the answer!!! That way no one will accidentally miss the ceremony. Ship's time is always confusing. Most change the clocks the evening before they move into the new time zone. But, I've also been on ships where "ship's time" was an hour off of port time.

Archived