The Upgrade Fairy Was GOOD To Me!

cruzinchar

Just got home tonight from a wonderful 7 day Alaska cruise from Seward to Vancouver on the Statendam. We had a BB guarantee and were upgraded to a SUITE!! No extra charge! Every day I had to pinch myself to really believe it was true! We had friends staying in an inside cabin on the A deck, so we were able to comfortably have them up to our verandah for all the glacier and whale watching! Many other people in the suites had also been upgraded from guaranteed BB's. It's the only way to go! I really have to hand it to Holland America for doing that for us!!! We had such a wonderful time!!! :)

Yes, we were definitely lucky to have been upgraded from a BB to a suite. However, we were not alone. I, myself, heard from at least five other cabins that they also had the same upgrade, and who knows how many others there were. One of the special events for the suite people is that we were invited to a lunch held on the last sea day with the captain and the hotel manager. We happened to be seated next to the hotel manager and his wife, and of course, I expressed my gratitude to him for the upgrade. He said that the chance for this kind of an upgrade is far better at the end of the summer than in June, cause less people reserve suites after school starts. He said that the bottom line is that they want to sell out the ship, which they did. What I don't know is why did we get it and some others not? We booked a year ahead, but many said they thought it was due to special clout our travel agent must have had.

Upgrades can happen for many reasons ... but I believe it's all just being in the right place at the right time. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason. Congratulations on your good fortune. I know it really enhanced your experience.

Archived