No seats available?

aruss

Ok, to make a long story short, today AA e-mailed a change in our itinerary and re-booked us on a later flight. I called and told them it would be cutting it too close to make our cruise. They re-booked us on new flights that work out much better than the original. However, when I got a confirmation e-mail for the new flights, I noticed we had no seat assignments on one leg of the trip. I went on AA's website and it shows no seats available for that particular flight.

I'm glad I have a confirmation, but why would they book us on a sold out flight? I love this new itinerary, it saves us about 3 hours, one lay-over, and it costs about $600 pp more than the original, so I feel like I'm getting a steal! However, we are a party of 6 traveling with 2 small children, so seat assignment is a big issue. Should I call AA again, or give it some time-I really don't want to lose this reservation!

Airlines hold approximately 30% of seats on a plane back for gate control check in. The seatmap on the website will show all seats as being filled, but there are several seats available. Since you are flying on AA, as the others have suggested, call them and ask, but worst-case, check in online at 24 hours and you'll be able to assign yourselves seats.

Enjoy your cruise!

-bb123

Airlines hold approximately 30% of seats on a plane back for gate control check in. The seatmap on the website will show all seats as being filled, but there are several seats available. Since you are flying on AA, as the others have suggested, call them and ask, but worst-case, check in online at 24 hours and you'll be able to assign yourselves seats.

Enjoy your cruise!

-bb123

Agree with Billybob..just check in online, or get to the airport early. The airlines do hold seats back to assign at the gate.

Agree with Billybob..just check in online, or get to the airport early. The airlines do hold seats back to assign at the gate.

this has happened to me on a few flights....no seats to book, but they open up...either keep trying to assign seats online or as soon as the 24 hour ahead check in opens...worse case, they assign it at the a/p. keep calling though.....stuff changes....and americanis i think the only airline that lets you do a 24 hour courtesy hold on line and select a seat...so someone may have seats on hold that they won't use...

The flight is not sold-out. They're just holding back some seats for at-airport assignment, all airlines do this. Probably some more seats will open up as people either upgrade and or alter their reservations.

If you are concerned, just call reservations and ask them how many seats are available. They should tell you.

Thank you everyone for your advise. I did call AA today and they confirmed that I definately had reservations on the flight, but at this time could not assign seats, even though I told them I was traveling with children. They said they would be assigned at the gate, as many of you said. They also said it was noted that we had small children and the gate attendant would be aware of that. So, I'm going with a positive attitude and assuming it will all be ok. We will be sure to arrive at the gate a little earlier than usual, just to be sure.

The same thing happened to us. When I called AA I was told we had a reservation but no assigned seats, they would be assigned at check in and to arrive at the Airport early, I too was traveling with a small child. We were fortunate enough to get seats together. I Hope everything works out for you.

Actually you won't have to wait until you get to the gate to get a seat assignment. When you check-in you'll get one there, ideally when you're doing it from home on the computer.

Also if you don't like those seats available at check-in, you can ask if anything opened up once you get to the gate.

Just went thru the same thing. Supposedly full plane. I picked seats that were opened 24 hours before the departure time. Actually ended up with seats, normally held as "premium" seats, that pax spend an extra add on price for.

If you're travelling with kids, the airlines will do everything it can to keep you together. Do what you can on line, and/or get to the airport at least 2 hours before the flight to work out the seating.

Also keep checking the seats on a daily basis. We were told they couldn't assign us seats on our flight to Miami this past June, that they held them back until the day of departure. I really worried & stressed about it praying we would have a seat. I kept checking every day, and some seats came open, I called and had our seat assignments within a few minutes.:)

I really worried & stressed about it praying we would have a seat.

The airlines usually won't have you standing during your flight.....:D (though there are stories of Haj charters that have packed people into the aisles)

Now, as for standing around waiting for your flight, that's another story.

Worries about denied boarding should be VERY low on your list -- most flights are able to get volunteers to make up for any oversales. Further, the fact that you have a seat assignment does NOT guarantee that you won't be subject to denied boarding.

Archived