All things Monarch of the Seas

[quote name='traveljen1027']I'm feeling bummed...I booked this cruise as a little weekend getaway (we've never cruised with RCCL so this will be our first time), but now I see a 4 day on Carnival out of San Diego (and we've cruised Carnival before & loved it) and the difference is basically the cost of our hotel room the night before our 3 day on the Monarch...can anyone cheer me up?[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Teal"]OK... I'll give it a shot...
The Monarch will be leaving soon and there will not be another 3/4 day replacement out here for at least a year or two (if then). The Carnival ship will be here next year and you can sail on her then. Does that help any?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='traveljen1027']We'll be on a 3-day next month on Monarch - is it fairly easy to get a time for the rock climbing wall or is it pretty booked? I really want to try it...[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
You sign up to climb each session it is open. There is never that long of a line. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='mohavemommy'][SIZE=3][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=teal]OK... I'll give it a shot...[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=teal]The Monarch will be leaving soon and there will not be another 3/4 day replacement out here for at least a year or two (if then). The Carnival ship will be here next year and you can sail on her then. Does that help any?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Yes! It totally helps - and after reading through almost this entire thread today (I had some free time, apparently) I am getting so excited...plus a lot of our friends have cruised RCCL and absolutely love it, so I have decided not to be afraid of trying something new and I am sure that RCCL (and the Monarch) will live up to everything I've read & heard so far...AND I've heard that there is some type of fantastic chocolate cake dessert that is a must & a cheese plate (hmmm...can you tell that I one of my favorite things about cruising is the food?).

Okay, I have another question - does the Monarch do afternoon tea? If so, do they do it well? I loved doing tea on HAL, and Disney only did it by reservation & it was all boooked so I didn't get to try theirs, but Carnival's was awful (I think the crew was new to it so I should probably cut them so slack)...

Thanks again!!!

[quote name='traveljen1027']Yes! It totally helps - and after reading through almost this entire thread today (I had some free time, apparently) I am getting so excited...plus a lot of our friends have cruised RCCL and absolutely love it, so I have decided not to be afraid of trying something new and I am sure that RCCL (and the Monarch) will live up to everything I've read & heard so far...AND I've heard that there is some type of fantastic chocolate cake dessert that is a must & a cheese plate (hmmm...can you tell that I one of my favorite things about cruising is the food?).

Okay, I have another question - does the Monarch do afternoon tea? If so, do they do it well? I loved doing tea on HAL, and Disney only did it by reservation & it was all boooked so I didn't get to try theirs, but Carnival's was awful (I think the crew was new to it so I should probably cut them so slack)...

Thanks again!!![/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]
The warm chocolate cake is delicious. :D
[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2937964130046215528NnMijC][IMG]http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/41870/2937964130046215528S200x200Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Not sure about an afternoon tea. [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='mohavemommy']
[I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal]The warm chocolate cake is delicious. :D [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal][URL="http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2937964130046215528NnMijC"][IMG]http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/41870/2937964130046215528S200x200Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

[I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal]Not sure about an afternoon tea. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/quote]

Wow!! That looks amazing...

[quote name='traveljen1027']Okay, I have another question - does the Monarch do afternoon tea? If so, do they do it well? I loved doing tea on HAL, and Disney only did it by reservation & it was all boooked so I didn't get to try theirs, but Carnival's was awful (I think the crew was new to it so I should probably cut them so slack)...

Thanks again!!![/QUOTE]
Nope, no High Tea on Royal Caribbean. The best it can do is snacks in the Windjammer. :D

I will alwayd be a Monarch fan. I sailed on Monarch for my very first cruise. I loved it so much that I booked Monarch the following year. My last cruise on Monarch was 8 years ago. Back then Monarch sailed I believe the Southern Caribbean. We sailed out of Puerto Rico and visited Barbados, St Martin, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Thomas. Those were the best 7 days I ever had. If I ever get the chance again I will definitely sail the Monarch.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][URL="http://www.cruisecritic.com"][IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?name=wild0826&date=8-23-2008&image=vfin&text=I can smell the sea air already&ship=Enchantment of the Seas[/IMG][/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]

Tried doing a search for this but it brought up waaaaaay too many results, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I'm sailing on Monarch for the 3 day out of LA. We're currently in an inside stateroom on Deck 5. For an extra $10pp, I can get a porthole room on Deck 2. I feel like I read some comments that were fairly negative about Deck 2, so I'm hesitant to switch.

I'd love some feedback from some veteran Monarch cruisers. Which room would you choose?

[quote name='aaklang']Tried doing a search for this but it brought up waaaaaay too many results, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I'm sailing on Monarch for the 3 day out of LA. We're currently in an inside stateroom on Deck 5. For an extra $10pp, I can get a porthole room on Deck 2. I feel like I read some comments that were fairly negative about Deck 2, so I'm hesitant to switch.

I'd love some feedback from some veteran Monarch cruisers. Which room would you choose?[/QUOTE]

It is a personal choice, but *I* wouldn't change what you have.

[quote name='aaklang']Tried doing a search for this but it brought up waaaaaay too many results, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I'd love some feedback from some veteran Monarch cruisers. Which room would you choose?[/quote]

There are some very good reasons for staying on Deck 5, the main one is that you should not be awoken on any given Wednesday, when they drop the hook at Avalon Bay!!

Rick

[quote name='rubrrick']There are some very good reasons for staying on Deck 5, the main one is that you should not be awoken on any given Wednesday, when they drop the hook at Avalon Bay!!

Rick[/QUOTE]

Since they are doing a 3-day, they won't hear the hook....;)

Mohavemommy and Merion Mom - any specific reasons why you wouldn't change? I have a feeling we'll stay where we are, but want to make sure we're keeping an inside for the right reasons! There will be no anchor, as we're only docking in Ensenada and have no other stops. Thanks!

[quote name='aaklang']Mohavemommy and Merion Mom - any specific reasons why you wouldn't change? I have a feeling we'll stay where we are, but want to make sure we're keeping an inside for the right reasons! There will be no anchor, as we're only docking in Ensenada and have no other stops. Thanks![/quote]

I would stay where you are as it is more convenient to everything (but then, I won't take elevators). The 'window' on deck 2 is just a dinky porthole, and I hear that deck 2 has had sewer problems on occasion. I would go for an obstructed OV on deck 8 way before an OV on deck 2.

For those of you who consider the Monarch your second home, can you recommend a favorite bar and a favorite bartender? Someone who likes to talk and mixes a nice drink.

Also, are there any crew members that you feel are the type of people you just HAVE to meet because of how nice they are or for the stories they tell, or for whatever reason? If so, where can they usually be found?

[quote name='gumballz']For those of you who consider the Monarch your second home, can you recommend a favorite bar and a favorite bartender? Someone who likes to talk and mixes a nice drink.

Also, are there any crew members that you feel are the type of people you just HAVE to meet because of how nice they are or for the stories they tell, or for whatever reason? If so, where can they usually be found?[/quote]

Moe, in the Schooner Bar is awesome!!!! He has mixed many a drink for me and never failed in the task.:D

The last time we were onboard (07-04-08) we were told that the drydock would be for a very deep cleaning and the replacement of some furnishings.;) We heard this from a staff member during the plat./ diamond get together so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Archived