Updates on Sovereign and Monarch (merged)

eroller

Hey Ernie!

Could you read that brochure in spanish? (I couldn't, evn after years of it in scholl a ways back)

I wish I could! Unfortunately my Spanish is even worse than my French, which isn't saying much!

Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, it's only a matter of time before Royal Caribbean announces details. As usual, people learn about major events before they announce it, then when they announce it they act like it's a big deal. By then it's old news.

Ernie

I wish I could! Unfortunately my Spanish is even worse than my French, which isn't saying much!

Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, it's only a matter of time before Royal Caribbean announces details. As usual, people learn about major events before they announce it, then when they announce it they act like it's a big deal. By then it's old news.

Ernie

I don't know about them announcing anything other than she will be leaving the fleet. They still have not announced a replacement for the Mariner. That is if they are going to replace the Mariner!!!!!!! If you look at that Pullmantur brochure, they do not show the Sovereign on any of the itineraries. They just show her on the last page.

I don't know about them announcing anything other than she will be leaving the fleet. They still have not announced a replacement for the Mariner. That is if they are going to replace the Mariner!!!!!!! If you look at that Pullmantur brochure, they do not show the Sovereign on any of the itineraries. They just show her on the last page.

My guess is Royal Caribbean knows exactly what they are going to do. They would not have planned for SOVEREIGN'S departure without having a comprehensive fleet plan in place. Itinerary planning and fleet deployment are initially planned by cruise lines a few years in advance. There are a lot of details that have to be planned, so they start very early. I'm sure they know exactly what ship will replace SOVEREIGN at this point, if any.

Ernie

My guess is Royal Caribbean knows exactly what they are going to do. They would not have planned for SOVEREIGN'S departure without having a comprehensive fleet plan in place. Itinerary planning and fleet deployment are initially planned by cruise lines a few years in advance. There are a lot of details that have to be planned, so they start very early. I'm sure they know exactly what ship will replace SOVEREIGN at this point, if any.

Ernie

I agree but it seems that RCI knows by now that the public is good about finding out about this type of moves. It would have been smart on their end to announce this to the public before BEFORE we found out by way of a cruise dicussion board.

I agree but it seems that RCI knows by now that the public is good about finding out about this type of moves. It would have been smart on their end to announce this to the public before BEFORE we found out by way of a cruise dicussion board.

Agreed. Either Royal Caribbean (and other lines) don't give the public enough credit for finding things out, or they do it on purpose to create a little buzz.

Now the guessing game begins.

Ernie

Does any one know if there is a formal annoucement on this from RCI and announcement on the replacement??? I guess that if I and 22 other friends are booked already that the booking will just transfer to the new ship. The plus side of that is that the new ship will probably carry a new price.

Thanks for the heads up on the change

Does any one know if there is a formal annoucement on this from RCI and announcement on the replacement??? I guess that if I and 22 other friends are booked already that the booking will just transfer to the new ship. The plus side of that is that the new ship will probably carry a new price.

Thanks for the heads up on the change

Your reservation wouldn't be transfered to a new ship. It would just be canceled.

Bite your tongue! :eek:

Gina

Could be worse Gina......you could be losing the EN in SoFL...........

OH wait.....you are!!!;)

I think FL is getting shortchnaged with all these ships leaving,dont ya think??:(

Your reservation wouldn't be transfered to a new ship. It would just be canceled.

I can hardly believe they would just cancel it if they put another ship in the same port to do the same cruise. Anyways, I won't worry, no has contact us on it.

I can hardly believe they would just cancel it if they put another ship in the same port to do the same cruise. Anyways, I won't worry, no has contact us on it.

I've had reservations for cruises that have been canceled and the reservation was not transfered to another cruise. We were booked on a Jewel of the Seas transatlantic. Royal decided to change the itinerary from a transatlantic to a Northern Europe cruise. They simply canceled my reservation. To their credit they at least called and told me what had happened. They did give us the option to rebook the new itinerary but it was going to cost $2000.00 per person more for the same stateroom category compared to what we had paid for the transatlantic.

How typical of RCI.:rolleyes: Their 2008-2009 Caribbean brochures are barely out showing the Sovereign sailings through April 27, 2009 and it appears that the ship may be out of the fleet before then. :)

I don't believe that RCI will abandon the 2nd busiest cruise port so we will probably hear about their plans in the next few months. With all their newbuilds in the pipeline, I don't think south Florida has much to worry about in the long run, but the increased number of bookings for cruises in Europe makes it good business sense for them to move more of their ships to that area for longer periods of time during the year. On the positive side this probably means even more new and different itineraries in the Caribbean and elsewhere. I did notice that the Independence will be doing six and eight night Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale which is a bit of a change from the standard 7 night cruises we have come to expect with their newest ships.

Hey, sometimes those changes have good, if unforeseen consequences. Had RCI not cancelled the Jewel transatlantic this past September we might still not have sampled Celebrity's product and we would still not have sailed with Anthony and Alina.:)

when is this supposed to happen?

I have a cruise booked on Sovereign for March 31st 2008 as a present for our son's graduation in May. I sent an email to Adam Goldstein asking for clarification on this as so far the Royal caribbean web site does not show anything on this happening......Hope I hear something back soon

I have a cruise booked on Sovereign for March 31st 2008 as a present for our son's graduation in May. I sent an email to Adam Goldstein asking for clarification on this as so far the Royal caribbean web site does not show anything onb this happening......Hope I hear something back soon

Thank you!

What are RCI's plans for Port Canaveral?

Tim

Hope the RCI isn't going to leave PC with nothing.......

I am very anxious now to see what happens to PC--the only place we have sailed from.

Last month I questioned a gentleman who is an RCI representative at Port Canaveral, regarding a lounge. He told me that they'll have a platinum/diamond lounge in place in a few months, so I know that good things will happen to PC. :)

Last month I questioned a gentleman who is an RCI representative at Port Canaveral, regarding a lounge. He told me that they'll have a platinum/diamond lounge in place in a few months, so I know that good things will happen to PC. :)

That's interesting because they removed the one down in Miami due to the large numbers of people trying to use it. I hope they have plenty of space or it won't work.

Reading the site for Pullmantur its interesting to see how they do things differently. Considering all the booze threads here I was surprised they offer beer and some house wines included in the cruise fare. I guess it goes to show they think Europeans are more responsible drinkers. The not included list was quite short compared to RCCL.

That's interesting because they removed the one down in Miami due to the large numbers of people trying to use it. I hope they have plenty of space or it won't work.

It appears that they have enough space, but you are right Gordon, regarding the number of pax in these lounges.

This was the shortest cruise I've ever sailed, and I can't believe we get a full credit for such a short cruise. I'm not complaining, but I can see why the lounges are so crowded.

It appears that they have enough space, but you are right Gordon, regarding the number of pax in these lounges.

This was the shortest cruise I've ever sailed, and I can't believe we get a full credit for such a short cruise. I'm not complaining, but I can see why the lounges are so crowded.

Funny thing is that I have never had to wait in PC to get on the SOS. Walk in and right on the ship with a very quick check-in. :)

Funny thing is that I have never had to wait in PC to get on the SOS. Walk in and right on the ship with a very quick check-in. :)

They allowed us to board right after a wedding party. After we went to the P/D line they had us sit in the central area and then we boarded at 11 a.m. Not a problem for me.

The main problem was my childhood friend whom I spent that cruise with. She had never cruised before and she was determined to be sour about everything. I flew down from NJ to her home in Daytona so that we could spend a few enjoyable days together (friends since 3rd grade and we're both 64 now). What a mistake...nothing could please her.

They allowed us to board right after a wedding party. After we went to the P/D line they had us sit in the central area and then we boarded at 11 a.m. Not a problem for me.

The main problem was my childhood friend whom I spent that cruise with. She had never cruised before and she was determined to be sour about everything. I flew down from NJ to her home in Daytona so that we could spend a few enjoyable days together (friends since 3rd grade and we're both 64 now). What a mistake...nothing could please her.

I could see where that would make for some awkward moments. So I guess she got off of the cruise not liking it????? If so that's a shame. I really do hate to see this ship go. RCI has done an outstanding job in the upkeep of this ship. She still looks better than some of the newer ships on competitor cruise lines that I have taken. We may have to speak with Laura about getting a Cruise Critic three or four night farewell group cruise together so that we all can take one more cruise on this ship before she heads across the pond.

I could see where that would make for some awkward moments. So I guess she got off of the cruise not liking it????? If so that's a shame. I really do hate to see this ship go. RCI has done an outstanding job in the upkeep of this ship. She still looks better than some of the newer ships on competitor cruise lines that I have taken.

I love the SOS. The last time we sailed her, she was new. I wrote a little review last month saying that I really loved her and she's well kept. Food was great, shows, service, everything was A-OK! Too bad she's leaving. I'll brb and tell you what happened...just have to get DH something here...

Archived