Flying in with one stop question??

Sue L

The airfare for my TA next year should be open in the next week. I have been watching for the flights that are currently being booked up to the end of August right now. Aer Lingus has a flight from NY to LHR with a stop in Dublin for a really great price one way. 438$

So for my question, when we land in Dublin do they transit us(basically make you stay in the gate seating area) so that we would go through customs at the end point in London? Or do we have to do customs and such in Dublin and even possibly having to collecting our luggage? There is about 1hour 45 minutes between flights. I am trying to decide if the 300$ per person more that it would cost to fly direct would be worth it.

Also any one have any opinions on Aer Lingus? Good or bad is appreciated.

The airfare for my TA next year should be open in the next week. I have been watching for the flights that are currently being booked up to the end of August right now. Aer Lingus has a flight from NY to LHR with a stop in Dublin for a really great price one way. 438$

So for my question, when we land in Dublin do they transit us(basically make you stay in the gate seating area) so that we would go through customs at the end point in London? Or do we have to do customs and such in Dublin and even possibly having to collecting our luggage? There is about 1hour 45 minutes between flights. I am trying to decide if the 300$ per person more that it would cost to fly direct would be worth it.

Also any one have any opinions on Aer Lingus? Good or bad is appreciated.

Hi ,

you will be ok with Dublin, Check bags in NY, to go straight thro to LHR, but you will go thro customs on route to next check in gate. very little time between flights ,sounds ideal.

BG

Hi ,

you will be ok with Dublin, Check bags in NY, to go straight thro to LHR, but you will go thro customs on route to next check in gate. very little time between flights ,sounds ideal.

BG

Is it too little time?

Dublin is a relatively small airport so 1 hour 45 minutes is plenty of time to make your connection. Aer Lingus is a decent airline and you have a wonderfully priced ticket. A small bonus is that on your return flight you will clear US immigration in Dublin rather than JFK.

You have hit the jackpot with your flight! Relax and plan your vacation at leisure!

Dublin is a relatively small airport so 1 hour 45 minutes is plenty of time to make your connection. Aer Lingus is a decent airline and you have a wonderfully priced ticket. A small bonus is that on your return flight you will clear US immigration in Dublin rather than JFK.

You have hit the jackpot with your flight! Relax and plan your vacation at leisure!

thanks for the info. We are only doing one way as our cruise is a transatlantic so we end up in Boston, then we have a 4 hour ride home.

Aer Lingus has a flight from NY to LHR with a stop in Dublin for a really great price one way. 438$

I am trying to decide if the 300$ per person more that it would cost to fly direct would be worth it.

I don't know when you're flying, but there are times when you should be able to pick up a return ticket for NYC-LHR non-stops for little more than $438. A few weeks back, BA had a sale fare of £239 (= about $480) starting in London (which would have been matched by the other airlines). So you could find a return ticket on non-stop flights which is cheaper than a one-way ticket, and at a price which makes it better value than a one-stop flight with all that that entails.

• 4 weeks later...
I booked it Aer lingus, 335$ per person one way. RCCL wanted 775$ per person so it pays to check around.

Hi Sue,

Just noticed you are sailing out of Harwich which is 80 miles east of London and Heathrow is 20 miles west so you have around 100miles to travel. RC normally have coaches that pick up from Heathrow and take you direct to the ship. This could take around 3hours so I hope you have allowed plenty of time.

Brian

Hi Sue,

Just noticed you are sailing out of Harwich which is 80 miles east of London and Heathrow is 20 miles west so you have around 100miles to travel. RC normally have coaches that pick up from Heathrow and take you direct to the ship. This could take around 3hours so I hope you have allowed plenty of time.

Brian

We are going 3 days early and have private transport to the port, which will pick us up right at our hotel. I NEVER fly in day of cruise.;)

We are also using Aer Lingus from Dulles to Barcelona via Dublin to catch a Transatlantic cruise in early December. When I was looking at their great one-way fares we discoverd that you can stop-over in Dublin for several days with no penalty. So, we have decided to go a few days early and see how many of the 1100 pubs in Dublin are worthy of a brew! :)

Hank

We are also using Aer Lingus from Dulles to Barcelona via Dublin to catch a Transatlantic cruise in early December. When I was looking at their great one-way fares we discoverd that you can stop-over in Dublin for several days with no penalty. So, we have decided to go a few days early and see how many of the 1100 pubs in Dublin are worthy of a brew! :)

Hank

Excellent goal, I wish you luck and make sure you pack a good hangover remedy:eek:

Dublin is not part of the US, so US citizens travelling back home with a stop in Dublin will not go thru customs--immigration maybe, but not customs. We go thru customs at our first US landing. Pat

US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) has pre-clearance centers in both Shannon and Dublin airports, as well as many Canadian and Caribbean cities. We went through US Customs in Vancouver on our Alaska cruise tour.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclear_locations.xml

Archived