Not typical HAL

Travelbug 2

We just got off Volendam in Vancouver Sept 28th. Did a 7 day Alaska. A few comments ---

We did not have any pillow choc's after the 3rd night (how can they possibly "run out")

Not only that we did not get the fresh fruit basket in the cabin, no mariner tiles at the end of the cruise, no invitation to the mariner gathering.

This was our first time on Volendam, she is a nice ship, easy to get around and well looked after. The dining room service however was painfully slow, on one occasion we waited more than half an hour between soup and main course!! By the end of the meal we were being urged to vacate the dining room to make ready for the next sitting. Complaining brought the comment "the kitchen is very busy to night, it may be better tomorrow" !!

In general we enjoyed the cruise even though the weather was really bad, heavy rain, fog and cold temps. It is always nice to be pampered for a while. Would we do Alaska again?, I think not, the weather we had was typical they say and it is hard trying to see scenery though rainy steamed up windows. Going ashore in "horizontal rain" was no fun and the $300 we spent on the White Pass rail/bus excursion was money thrown away due to the bad weather. I know the weather is out of anyone's control but our next cruise will be one where we have at least a chance of not getting drowned and blown away.

Having said all this we are still HAL cheerleaders and have two more booked for next year. They are still the best in our books.

In general we enjoyed the cruise even though the weather was really bad, heavy rain, fog and cold temps. It is always nice to be pampered for a while. Would we do Alaska again?, I think not, the weather we had was typical they say and it is hard trying to see scenery though rainy steamed up windows. Going ashore in "horizontal rain" was no fun and the $300 we spent on the White Pass rail/bus excursion was money thrown away due to the bad weather. I know the weather is out of anyone's control but our next cruise will be one where we have at least a chance of not getting drowned and blown away.

Next time come up during the summer! That weather was only typical of late September.

I second that! Go back again when you can enjoy the scenery and ports. Late September is not the best time to go.

Like you I had similar issues with dining service on the Oosterdam this year...:(

We had simliar weather as that in July one year (horizontal rain with sleet!). I know - it is miserable. I did go back to Alaska the following year in May/June and had a fabulous time. I later returned 4 additional times (in May and June) and loved it.

I encourage you to return.

Agree with all previous on the weather, September can be "iffy" We were on Volendam 9/14-21 and the weather was mixed, however still had a great time.

Carmen I have some pictures of the Mercury I took from the Volendam if you are interested.

Chuck

Agree with all previous on the weather, September can be "iffy" We were on Volendam 9/14-21 and the weather was mixed, however still had a great time.

Carmen I have some pictures of the Mercury I took from the Volendam if you are interested.

Chuck

Chuck - I would love that! My email is geeck at integris dash health dot com

Would we do Alaska again?, I think not, the weather we had was typical they say and it is hard trying to see scenery though rainy steamed up windows. Going ashore in "horizontal rain" was no fun and the $300 we spent on the White Pass rail/bus excursion was money thrown away due to the bad weather. I know the weather is out of anyone's control but our next cruise will be one where we have at least a chance of not getting drowned and blown away.

OH... I would SO take advantage of the less expensive May sailings if I lived in BC!!!

Then again, mountains are a treat for me, and they very well may not be for you.

OH... I would SO take advantage of the less expensive May sailings if I lived in BC!!!

Then again, mountains are a treat for me, and they very well may not be for you.

You are right about the mountains, we can look at a couple every day from our front window, they have snow on top all year -- beautiful --maybe we are just spoiled with the beautiful surroundings we have here at home.:)

Archived