Independent 2008 Land Tour Advice Needed

jodawn

Please help us (four Alaska 1st timers aged 45 - 60) plan our 9 night independent land tour to proceed our southbound Island Princess Cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) departing on Mon. July 7, 2008.

Fly from BWI to Anchorage on Sat June 28th... hoping airfare comes down!

Overnight in Anchorage.

We would like to visit Denali, Fairbanks, Girdwood, Talkeetna & Seward. Do we have enough time to consider anything else? Any suggestions? What order would be best?

We were considering train from Anchorage to Seward... however this would exclude us from potentially visiting other parts of Kenai Peninsula (Homer, etc.)...do we have time to do this as well?...if so we will rent a car.

If we do take the train any suggestions on how to handle all our luggage?

Should we avoid Seward on the 4th of July?...what about the 5th and 6th?

We are hoping to stay in B & B's, Cabins, and Inns. I have been getting lots of ideas from searching these forums for lodging and activities. Really need help in getting the time line down so we can get started with more concrete plans.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

-jody

Yes, I would avoid Seward on 7-4, if you want to avoid crowds. Lodging is probably already in short supply as well.

9 days is not a lot of time, Especially with sailing out of Whittier, you might want to consider a direct shuttle from Seward to Whittier.

As a ball park for your list. 1 night in Anchorage, 2 at least in Denali Park, 2 Fairbanks, 2 Seward, 1 Talkeetna 1 Girdwood. That is 9. I do suggest yo decide what you want to do in Talkeetna, and Girdwood??? Talkeetna is excellent for flightseeing and a great funky town. Girdwood, has the tram and nice hiking. Otherwise you don't need overnights there. Homer is a 2 night stop, so you probably don't have time for it.

I suggest you pack light and be prepared for laundry and taking care of your own luggage.

A general itinerary- Arrive in Anchorage, overnight. Head to Denali park 2 nights with the Shuttle bus to at least Fish Creek. Drive to Fairbanks, 2 nights. Return to Talkeetna 1 night, Drive to Girdwood, enjoy the Arm. Return to Anchorage, overnight. Train to Seward 2 nights, direct transfer to Whittier.

Thanks so much for your advice... you have certainly given me things to consider...

Train vs Rental Car?

Homer/Kenai Peninsula vs Fairbanks?

We arrive in Anchorage on 6/28 and sail from Whittier on 7/7, we want to avoid Seward around the 4th of July... maybe we should head there first??

All input is welcomed.

You may consider Talkeetna Cabins for your lodging. They have a 3-bedroom main house and four cabins on the property. We've got the main house and two cabins booked a little later that your trip (Jul. 13 - 16).

Thanks so much for your advice... you have certainly given me things to consider...

Train vs Rental Car?

Homer/Kenai Peninsula vs Fairbanks?

We arrive in Anchorage on 6/28 and sail from Whittier on 7/7, we want to avoid Seward around the 4th of July... maybe we should head there first??

All input is welcomed.

If you want to go to all the places listed, you need a car. A train would eat up a lot of time. I suggest you do your homework and find out what is the most interest to you for activites comparing Homer and Fairbanks. Then go there. :) http://www.explorefairbanks.com http://www.akms.com/htguide/

Budget Queen,

We are booked on a cruise / land tour thru RC for next August. But we are looking into POSSIBLY doing the land tour on our own. We are 4 adults. We already have our flights into Fairbanks, arriving Aug 29th 2008. We board the ship in Seward on Sept 5th. That gives us 7 nights.

Our musts: we would like to do at least a portion of the trip on the domed train; a flight out of Talkeetna over Denali (glacier walk) if the weather is good, a fly fishing am or pm, and Denali N'l Park.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

With the flight into Fairbanks you are a bit limited with transportation but even though it might be costly, I would recommend a one-way car rental from Fairbanks to Anchorage. You will appreciate having a car at Denali. Spend a night or two in Fairbanks, two nights in Denali, one in/near Anchorage, two nights in Seward. Denai will be great that time of year with the fall colors. With two nights at Denali you have time the first day to check out things near the park entrance or even a rafting trip. Second day take the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake, third day leave early and head to Talkeetna for the flightseeing and a look around town before heading to Anchorage. Then return the rental car and the following morning take the early train to Seward. This is the most scenic portion of the train (compared with Fairbanks to Anchorage).

In Seward there is lots to do and you really don't need car. Kenai Fjords boat trip, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, dogsleds, kayaking, and more.

John

Budget Queen,

We are booked on a cruise / land tour thru RC for next August. But we are looking into POSSIBLY doing the land tour on our own. We are 4 adults. We already have our flights into Fairbanks, arriving Aug 29th 2008. We board the ship in Seward on Sept 5th. That gives us 7 nights.

Our musts: we would like to do at least a portion of the trip on the domed train; a flight out of Talkeetna over Denali (glacier walk) if the weather is good, a fly fishing am or pm, and Denali N'l Park.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

I would suggest you might want to look into changing your flights to Anchorage. There is no sense in going to Fairbanks, unless you are willing to invest 2 nights there, as mentioned cars will be very limited and costly. The Alaska RR from Fairbanks, will also be limited in your accomdations, need one that shuttles.

I would do your train ride Anchorage/Seward, works perfectly with RCI cruises.

For clairfication, you can NOT do a fly "over" Denali AND a "glacier walk" it's one or the other.

Just priced a car from Fairbanks to Anchorage...$1000.00. But we would be spliting it 2 ways.

When reading the excursions from RC/Celebrity's land tour, one of them is titled: "McKinley flyer with Ruth Glacier Landing". So I guess I assumed that you were able to fly over Denali and then land on Ruth Glacier.

Just priced a car from Fairbanks to Anchorage...$1000.00. But we would be spliting it 2 ways.

When reading the excursions from RC/Celebrity's land tour, one of them is titled: "McKinley flyer with Ruth Glacier Landing". So I guess I assumed that you were able to fly over Denali and then land on Ruth Glacier.

For further information, look at Talkeetna Aero descriptions. Clearly explains the differences in flight options with a map.

Going independent also can yield you savings with possible coupon usage.

...In Seward there is lots to do and you really don't need car. Kenai Fjords boat trip, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, dogsleds, kayaking, and more.

I have a question about getting around Seward without a car...how do you get to Exit Glacier, for example? Are there regular shuttle busses or do you need to arrange taxis?

So after several attempts to fit what our group wanted to do in 9 nights we discovered we either had to drop something or add more time... so we added two more nights! We decided to spend the 4th of July in Seward for the race and festivities. We also dropped the train as we wanted to have the flexibility to stop at other attractions from Anchorage to Seward and Seward to Homer. Our plan is:

June 26 - Overnight Anchorage

June 27 - Morning drive to Denali. Sightsee & Overnight Denali

June 28 - Shuttle Bus. Overnight Denali

June 29 - Drive to Fairbanks. Sight see. Overnight Fairbanks

June 30 - AM Steamboat Discovery. Drive to Talkeetna, Flight? & Overnight

July 1 - Flight? Drive to Anchorage - Sightsee & Overnight

July 2 - Leisurely drive to Seward stopping at will, Overnight Seward

July 3 - Seward Activities, Overnight Seward

July 4 - Seward cont... Overnight Seward

July 5 - Leisurely drive to Homer. Overnight Homer

July 6 - Flight to Bear watch, Overnight Homer

July 7 - AM to Anchorage, transport to Wittier for SB Cruise/Island Princess

Now need suggestions for favorite lodgings in Seward... 4 adults, prefer something with 2 bedrooms, cabin, cottage, suite... where we can have a small kitchenette.

Thanks so much.

I have a question about getting around Seward without a car...how do you get to Exit Glacier, for example? Are there regular shuttle busses or do you need to arrange taxis?

Yes there is a shuttle to Exit Glacier, someone else needs to post with the cost and frequency. Taxis are available too.

So after several attempts to fit what our group wanted to do in 9 nights we discovered we either had to drop something or add more time... so we added two more nights! We decided to spend the 4th of July in Seward for the race and festivities. We also dropped the train as we wanted to have the flexibility to stop at other attractions from Anchorage to Seward and Seward to Homer. Our plan is:

June 26 - Overnight Anchorage

June 27 - Morning drive to Denali. Sightsee & Overnight Denali

June 28 - Shuttle Bus. Overnight Denali

June 29 - Drive to Fairbanks. Sight see. Overnight Fairbanks

June 30 - AM Steamboat Discovery. Drive to Talkeetna, Flight? & Overnight

July 1 - Flight? Drive to Anchorage - Sightsee & Overnight

July 2 - Leisurely drive to Seward stopping at will, Overnight Seward

July 3 - Seward Activities, Overnight Seward

July 4 - Seward cont... Overnight Seward

July 5 - Leisurely drive to Homer. Overnight Homer

July 6 - Flight to Bear watch, Overnight Homer

July 7 - AM to Anchorage, transport to Wittier for SB Cruise/Island Princess

Now need suggestions for favorite lodgings in Seward... 4 adults, prefer something with 2 bedrooms, cabin, cottage, suite... where we can have a small kitchenette.

Thanks so much.

I suggest you consider adding a day to Homer, and cutting back Seward by one. You especially need to have at least 2 full days available, IF you are looking at fly in bear tours. They get canceled, delayed etc.

Yes there is a shuttle to Exit Glacier, someone else needs to post with the cost and frequency. Taxis are available too.

If I recall correctly, you can get a shuttle from a tour operator (I forget their name) that works out of a converted blue railroad car right across from train station. I think it's $9 /pp, but I forget if that's one way or round trip.

Sorry for just offering bits and pieces; someone will know more.

Please help us (four Alaska 1st timers aged 45 - 60) plan our 9 night independent land tour to proceed our southbound Island Princess Cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) departing on Mon. July 7, 2008.

Fly from BWI to Anchorage on Sat June 28th... hoping airfare comes down!

Overnight in Anchorage.

We would like to visit Denali, Fairbanks, Girdwood, Talkeetna & Seward. Do we have enough time to consider anything else? Any suggestions? What order would be best?

We were considering train from Anchorage to Seward... however this would exclude us from potentially visiting other parts of Kenai Peninsula (Homer, etc.)...do we have time to do this as well?...if so we will rent a car.

If we do take the train any suggestions on how to handle all our luggage?

Should we avoid Seward on the 4th of July?...what about the 5th and 6th?

We are hoping to stay in B & B's, Cabins, and Inns. I have been getting lots of ideas from searching these forums for lodging and activities. Really need help in getting the time line down so we can get started with more concrete plans.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

-jody

Here is my take on this topic! I most always book my land tours off ship either before i leave or at the dock. With some internet searching u will find the same tour operater's at much cheaper prices. U can also get most if not all the same tours at dockside at cheaper prices than booking through yr cruise line. However! Alaska ports are very small Juneau population is about 12,000 Ketchikan 14 and Skagway 30,000 on top of that u will have anywhere from 3 to 5 cruise ships in the same port at the same time as u

so space on these tours is limited . Because of this i booked the 2 main attractions we wanted to see via the cruise line and Im glad we did because in Skagway there were 5 ships in the same day.

Hope this help's u!

Here is my take on this topic! I most always book my land tours off ship either before i leave or at the dock. With some internet searching u will find the same tour operater's at much cheaper prices. U can also get most if not all the same tours at dockside at cheaper prices than booking through yr cruise line. However! Alaska ports are very small Juneau population is about 12,000 Ketchikan 14 and Skagway 30,000 on top of that u will have anywhere from 3 to 5 cruise ships in the same port at the same time as u

so space on these tours is limited . Because of this i booked the 2 main attractions we wanted to see via the cruise line and Im glad we did because in Skagway there were 5 ships in the same day.

Hope this help's u!

It can be a poor choice to wait until you are at the "dock" to get your tours, in Alaska, you are way better off having all plans and reservations in place before you go. Time is short and tours very limited at the dock. Do NOT expect bargains, except on bus type tours. But you can expect more personal tours and sometimes longer tours compared to ship tours.

You are a little off on your census- Juneau- about 31, 000+++ Ketchikan- about 13,000 and Skagway about 830

It can be a poor choice to wait until you are at the "dock" to get your tours, in Alaska, you are way better off having all plans and reservations in place before you go. Time is short and tours very limited at the dock. Do NOT expect bargains, except on bus type tours. But you can expect more personal tours and sometimes longer tours compared to ship tours.

You are a little off on your census- Juneau- about 31, 000+++ Ketchikan- about 13,000 and Skagway about 830

I'm glad you corrected that Skagway population! LOL

Archived