QM2 Single Occupancy Charge Relaxed?

transat_jon

Here's something, looks like chance of a relaxing of the single policy for single occupancy fares for QM2. I may go on another Cunard ship after November 2008.

Good on you Carol. xx

Caribbean Adventures and Transatlantic Crossings on QUEEN MARY 2®

For those who wish to sail without a travelling companion, or prefer to have a stateroom to themselves, this is an ideal opportunity to experience the legendary amenities and impeccable service of QUEEN MARY 2® with our Single-Occupancy Special — inside fares from $1,399*, plus Balcony fares starting from $1,999*.

Choose a 10-day Caribbean voyage and tour the islands of the Eastern Caribbean such as Barbados, where you can explore a tropical sugarcane plantation.

I think these promos are given because its hard to fill QM2 on Caribbean cruises especially out of NY. For 2009 the QM2 world cruise begins in FL and then in April she begins her Trans season with no spring Caribbean cruise. However I hope NY based cruises are not completely avoided would like to see some go out of NY for those who don’t want to fly to FL to meet the ship!!

I think these promos are given because its hard to fill QM2 on Caribbean cruises especially out of NY. For 2009 the QM2 world cruise begins in FL and then in April she begins her Trans season with no spring Caribbean cruise. However I hope NY based cruises are not completely avoided would like to see some go out of NY for those who don’t want to fly to FL to meet the ship!!
I was wondering if it was an attempt to fill an empty ship, can but hope it is start of something more fair for solo travellers.

I was wondering if it was an attempt to fill an empty ship, can but hope it is start of something more fair for solo travellers.

Jon:

Unfortunately, it is an attempt to fill the Caribbean sailings out of NY.. and the supplement is still there.. it's just that the going rate for new bookings is lower.

I would be very interested in learning where you found this information - as i posted several days ago under a thread "Not much of a bargain", a family member attempted to take advantage of this promotion that had (and still is) shown under "Bargains" elsewhere in this Cruise Critic website.

After two calls directly to Cunard, she was advised that the promo was for a single Trans-Atlantic crossing.

Any updated and specific info would be much appreciated

Thanks

I would be very interested in learning where you found this information - as i posted several days ago under a thread "Not much of a bargain", a family member attempted to take advantage of this promotion that had (and still is) shown under "Bargains" elsewhere in this Cruise Critic website.

After two calls directly to Cunard, she was advised that the promo was for a single Trans-Atlantic crossing.

Any updated and specific info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Cunard did a mailing for the Caribbean sailings. The single pricing was based on lower rates for doubles.. so it apeared the single supplement was lower. It wasn't. I priced one sailing for my client... and it worked out to 185% supplement. It still was a good rate for an A1 balcony single though.. compared to what the initial price points were.

One note, since the mailing... and I think Brian first posted about it.. the rates on some sailings have gone up.

QM2 seems to have too much competition when it comes to the NY Caribbean sailings. For example, Royal Caribbean, Holland, Norwegian, Princess and Carnival all sail out the NY market at a much lower rate than what Cunard initially publishes. At this point in the US economy everyone is looking for the best deal and Cunard seems too pricey for most along with the fact the Caribbean cruise market has been soft for the past two years.

I also think the majority of those who "cruise" would rather be on theme type or free style ships than a true ocean liner. So her appeal is limited to the Caribbean cruiser demographic.

I just hope that Cunard does not decide to do crossings and the occasional 4- day cruises.

When I compare the old QE2 schedules from the late 90’s to 2004 to what QM2 has now there is are really no choices. For example, in 2006 QM2 had two Canada cruises. This year it was down to one, 9 night cruise. For 2008 there is only one cruise reduced to 7 days. QM2 has never had a Bermuda cruise or even a Bahamas cruise longer than 4 days. It is just becoming harder and harder to book a Cunard cruise since the NY options are very limited.

I just hope that Cunard does not decide to do crossings and the occasional 4- day cruises.

On the other hand this would suit me down to the ground. QM2 is built for crossing so the more she does the better.

It's also the best way to spend 6 days. No ports to get in the way....

Matthew

QM2 seems to have too much competition when it comes to the NY Caribbean sailings. For example, Royal Caribbean, Holland, Norwegian, Princess and Carnival all sail out the NY market at a much lower rate than what Cunard initially publishes. At this point in the US economy everyone is looking for the best deal and Cunard seems too pricey for most along with the fact the Caribbean cruise market has been soft for the past two years.

I also think the majority of those who "cruise" would rather be on theme type or free style ships than a true ocean liner. So her appeal is limited to the Caribbean cruiser demographic.

When I compare the old QE2 schedules from the late 90’s to 2004 to what QM2 has now there is are really no choices. For example, in 2006 QM2 had two Canada cruises. This year it was down to one, 9 night cruise. For 2008 there is only one cruise reduced to 7 days. QM2 has never had a Bermuda cruise or even a Bahamas cruise longer than 4 days. It is just becoming harder and harder to book a Cunard cruise since the NY options are very limited.

I, too, am disappointed in the limited variety of QM2 cruises. If the Caribbean is over-run with ships and there are cheaper cruises elsewhere, why doesn't Cunard offer a better variety to the northeast? My only guess is that they didn't do well selling those, either.

Bermuda would be difficult. She would have to vie for space at the West End, which is nobody's favorite Bermuda port. (Next year, I think I read that all the ships sailing to Bermuda will be too big for any port but the West End) Can QM2 get through the channel into Bermuda?

My travel agent says that QM2 isn't selling well in the US market, which explains the discounts.

It's too bad that the cheap singles are due to reduced fares overall and not to a decrease in the supplement, but be happy there are bargains to be had. I had hoped that Cunard had listened to the feedback of single passengers.

Kathy

I went looking around and next January and February the only ships sailing out of NYC to the Caribbean are:

QM2

HAL Noordam

NCL Norwegian Gem

I think they are less-popular because of the sea days--we love them, others see the cold weather and would rather fly down to Miami to be "Caribbean-y" from beginning to end.

I went looking around and next January and February the only ships sailing out of NYC to the Caribbean are:

QM2

HAL Noordam

NCL Norwegian Gem

I think they are less-popular because of the sea days--we love them, others see the cold weather and would rather fly down to Miami to be "Caribbean-y" from beginning to end.

I agree with you about the sea days. I love them. I've never taken a port-every-day cruise. But we have the luxury of being a limo ride away from the pier. For people who will have to fly to a cruise anyway, most would see Miami as a better choice. No cold sea days, no weather risk flying into/out of NYC in the winter.

Kathy

A friend who was on a recent east bound crossing was offered very good prices for single cruising on the QM2. She had not intended to sail westbound but was offered an outstanding deal for a departure in a couple weeks from her arrival in the UK.

I suspect the deals vary by when you ask and when you are traveling. Management of resources by Cunard.

I agree with you about the sea days. I love them. I've never taken a port-every-day cruise. But we have the luxury of being a limo ride away from the pier. For people who will have to fly to a cruise anyway, most would see Miami as a better choice. No cold sea days, no weather risk flying into/out of NYC in the winter.

Kathy

Kathy, that is a great point--less weather risk flying to Miami than to NYC in the winter. I'd missed that one.

And so you agree how splendid it is to be a car ride away from the ship, I see...:p

My travel agent says that QM2 isn't selling well in the US market, which explains the discounts.

Kathy

That is most likely because there are only about 800 people left in the entire United States that know enough to dress up when on vacation. The rest seem to be into the Bob's rustic cabin resort look.

That is most likely because there are only about 800 people left in the entire United States that know enough to dress up when on vacation. The rest seem to be into the Bob's rustic cabin resort look.

This is currently true, but my observation has been that slowly, but surely, there are converts coming over from the dark side. There is still hope, Song.

Keep the faith, there is hope, The New York Times today reported "After Years of Being Out, the Necktie Is In", see http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

QM2

HAL Noordam

NCL Norwegian Gem

Wadadli1

I love the sea days too. I think the first and last (cold) days allow extra time to explore the inside of the ship.

The best is the quick cab ride to the terminal and not having to fly..which brings us back to your point why NYC is not popular to those who live elsewhere.

Keep the faith, there is hope, The New York Times today reported "After Years of Being Out, the Necktie Is In", see http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11CODES.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

That is good news. Given the speed in which such trends catch on in New Hmapshire, I figure ties will be out again when they come into favor in NH.

I had a very intersting experience a couple of weeks ago. I had to testify at an assault trial and as per my usual habit I showed up in court in jacket and tie. The two police men from my town whom I know rather well did not recognize me and thought me to be another attorney there on a different case. The look of surprise on their faces that someone from my town actually owned a tie let alone wore one was priceless. Needless to say I do have my home on the market seeking to move to more compatible climes.

That is good news. Given the speed in which such trends catch on in New Hmapshire, I figure ties will be out again when they come into favor in NH. ...

My cousin and his husband who live in NH tell me that NH may not be as far behind the times as you think.

My cousin and his husband who live in NH tell me that NH may not be as far behind the times as you think.

There are parts of New Hampshire that are very much in tune with parts of New Jersey. My part is in tune with Wantage, NJ circa 1975. Don't get me wrong I love living in New Hampshire only wish it were a different town and once the real estate market rights itself, it will be. But i knew that when I moved to where I live ten plus years ago, so I blame no one but myself.

I don't know if this is what sparked the lower single supplement or not. Today I looked at the Cruise Critic page and read Cunard solo occupancy from &1399 dates from Jan 13th-May 10th.

It talks of the 10 night Caribbean the 13 nt Caribbean and also the Transatlantic.

To book it refers me to Cunard but the telephone no is a US one 0 800 - 7 Cunard.

Does anyone know anything about this as it looks like a direct Cunard discount and I am interested in doing the 10 night Caribbean. Any more info would be appreciated. I suppose I can call Cunard in the UK on Monday.

Sue

I don't know if this is what sparked the lower single supplement or not. Today I looked at the Cruise Critic page and read Cunard solo occupancy from &1399 dates from Jan 13th-May 10th.

It talks of the 10 night Caribbean the 13 nt Caribbean and also the Transatlantic.

To book it refers me to Cunard but the telephone no is a US one 0 800 - 7 Cunard.

Does anyone know anything about this as it looks like a direct Cunard discount and I am interested in doing the 10 night Caribbean. Any more info would be appreciated. I suppose I can call Cunard in the UK on Monday.

Sue

Sue: This is a North American promotion. You can call Cunard UK, but who knows what they've got. The two offices use two different tariffs.

For the Caribbean, Jan 13 is the least expensive date. A D8 single is 1999 include ports, but not including tax.. and no air. That's Cunard's pricing for North America residents.

Archived