Cell Phone Calls

Crosboro

I see that RCCL has cell phone access on their ships. For those who have used it, can you tell me what the charges are? And is it available for all carriers? I use Verizon, which does not have world wide coverage like other carriers.

Thanks.

The Verizon Wireless fee is 2.49/ min while using your cell phone at sea.

The fee for roaming is either .69 or 1.29 while on land in Caribbean/Bermuda.

You must have International roaming turned on before it will become effective.

For more details. . . Just click here: Verizon Wireless Cruise Ship FAQ

Radio

;);)

The Verizon Wireless fee is 2.49/ min while using your cell phone at sea.

The fee for roaming is either .69 or 1.29 while on land in Caribbean/Bermuda.

You must have International roaming turned on before it will become effective.

I've heard that when you use your cell phone at sea you also incur ship charges of around $8.00 a minute.

Do you know if this is true or not?

Jimmers

I believe the ship fee is $2.50/minute, but remember this is simply an add-on tacked onto whatever your regular charges are. If you're cruising off the coast of the States and the ship's transmitter can contact a tower for your cellphone company, you'll only pay your regular rate, but the ship might end up roaming you. If you try it in Europe, you'll also incur whatever fee your phone company charges you for international roaming (probably an additional $2/minute). So don't be like a lot of clueless people who whip out their cellphone on board, see that they have service, and start calling everyone in their phone book thinking it's only using free airtime minutes... or else you'll end up with a huge bill!

The $8/minute rate is for using the ship's phone in your cabin and calling the States. That gets charged to your Sea Pass account.

In the past we have used our phones while in port before we have set sail. We have never had any other charges, however I don't know that they had the same cell service that they have now. If you are in port in say Fort Lauderdale or Miami on the ship will you incur the ships extra charges? I sure hope not! I like to get that first pina colada and take a picture on my cell phone and send it off to the kids! (mean.......I know.) :D

I believe the ship fee is $2.50/minute, but remember this is simply an add-on tacked onto whatever your regular charges are. If you're cruising off the coast of the States and the ship's transmitter can contact a tower for your cellphone company, you'll only pay your regular rate, but the ship might end up roaming you. If you try it in Europe, you'll also incur whatever fee your phone company charges you for international roaming (probably an additional $2/minute). So don't be like a lot of clueless people who whip out their cellphone on board, see that they have service, and start calling everyone in their phone book thinking it's only using free airtime minutes... or else you'll end up with a huge bill!

The $8/minute rate is for using the ship's phone in your cabin and calling the States. That gets charged to your Sea Pass account.

That is not a true statement for Verizon. If you use your Verizon cell phone at sea it is $2.49/min. We used it on our cruise in June and there are not "add-on" charges tacked on. To the OP, follow Radio's link for Verizon. Make sure you activate international dialing and use *228 to program your phone before you leave and you will be fine.

Are you sure you need the "international roaming" for Verizon.

Have traveled to Mexico several times and to Dom Republic last year. Serveral friends talked to Verizon several times. We finally found out that the only reason you would need internation roaming is if you are using your cell phone to make calls to places in that country. If you are just using your cell to call home (to the states) you do not need the international roaming.

Again, this is the answer we got after many, many calls. If you call again, you may get another answer, however I made several calls from DR home to Ohio and was only charged $1.29 per minute and I did not have internation roaming. Also, you can use your text for free if you have that option.

Will texting cost on a cruise??

Are you sure you need the "international roaming" for Verizon.

Have traveled to Mexico several times and to Dom Republic last year. Serveral friends talked to Verizon several times. We finally found out that the only reason you would need internation roaming is if you are using your cell phone to make calls to places in that country. If you are just using your cell to call home (to the states) you do not need the international roaming.

Again, this is the answer we got after many, many calls. If you call again, you may get another answer, however I made several calls from DR home to Ohio and was only charged $1.29 per minute and I did not have internation roaming. Also, you can use your text for free if you have that option.

Will texting cost on a cruise??

We did not have I-Dial activated on our phones. We just had to activate it for free and then program the phone that took all of 2 minutes. You might have activated I-Dial when you initially got your phone. If you look at this link it will show you where texting is available.

http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/roaming/rates/Mexico.html

Mobile service on board ship - note all RCI ships are now equipped with their own cells so the signals are great but beware, the roaming prices are a bit pricy:

Verizon - Calls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Not Available

AT&TCalls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Send - 50¢ per message; Receive - Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text message received when roaming internationally

T-Mobile - Calls: $4.99/min; Text Message: Send - 35¢ per message; Receive - 3¢ per message

Sprint PCS – Web site says call 1-800-974-2221 for rates others reported the following - Calls: $2.99/min; Text Message: 15¢ per message

Also, AT&T and T-Mobile phones work pretty much in all countries throughout the world with the exception of Japan and Korea. See their respective web sites via the links provided above for roaming prices in the ports/countries you will be visiting. Verizon and Sprint work in quite a few Caribbean islands and Mexico if I am not mistaken – check their website via the links provided above for more detailed info.

A little expensive yes. But worth it to make a couple of short calls home to make sure the house is still standing (teenagers!!!)

So if the ships have their own strong signal does this mean incoming calls are not a problem. This is priceless to know that kids can be in touch immediately if there is an emergency.

A little expensive yes. But worth it to make a couple of short calls home to make sure the house is still standing (teenagers!!!)

So if the ships have their own strong signal does this mean incoming calls are not a problem. This is priceless to know that kids can be in touch immediately if there is an emergency.

That gets into a whole other problem:eek: If you have an IPhone, people have reported huge bills if it is turned on as it keeps updating. We brought our teenager with us so we didn't have the same issue you are worried about. We also kept our phones turned off on the ship since we didn't want to pay for any calls from people calling to say hi who forgot we were away. Maybe if you check in with them while you are in port and have them have someone at home they can call in case of an emergency?

Edit: I found the Iphone thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623666&highlight=IPhone

In the past we have used our phones while in port before we have set sail. We have never had any other charges, however I don't know that they had the same cell service that they have now. If you are in port in say Fort Lauderdale or Miami on the ship will you incur the ships extra charges? I sure hope not! I like to get that first pina colada and take a picture on my cell phone and send it off to the kids! (mean.......I know.) :D

This I know for sure. There are no charges while you're in port in the US. None in PR or some of the other US islands. But as soon as you leave port the meter is running.

Seems to be alot of conflicting answers on the international/ships tower stuff. My main concern is making cellphone calls from the ship while at sea. I don't want to get double tapped by the phone company and the ship. If that's the case I'll just use the ships email to keep in touch while at sea and the cell phone while in port. While in a non US port you only get billed from your phone company at their international calling rate.

Jimmers:)

I have Alltel, and just like a previous poster stated. The fee is $2.49 per minute. Then based on your personal plan as to whether or not you are charged toll/roaming charges. It is highly recommended by your carriers to update your phone with the International Dialing feature which is free with Alltel. Plus update your phone with the *228 (I think) Check with your carrier for specifics for your plan.

No double charges from RCI and Verizon. Just watch where you are when you call. Make sure you are in port. Charges do vary from port to port. Only .69 a minute from Jamaica.

Denise

Just to be sure, i always called the pursers desk to make sure the ships tower was shut off. I didnt trust them..:eek:

I have been able to use my phone a good 1/2 to 1 hour while pulling away from ports, so I called verizon and they told me to set my phone to "Home only" so that my phone simply would not pick up the ships tower. I have the "north americas choice" plan which includes mexico and alot of the caribbean for no extra charge. Its great!

Also while in the gulf of mexico the oil rigs have cell towers. I had service forever........

OK I know I'm in the minority here but can't we leave the phones home as much as possible??

One of the great things about cruising is the total freedom being "out of touch" can give you, especially if tied to your phone at work. I cringe at the thought of hearing cell phones ringing all over the ship....

Hopefully the easy access will not cause an onslaught of cell phone conversations in the public areas of the ship. Would be awful! If lucky the cost will stay high enough to prevent that from happening!!

We bring cell phones to use if we get separated while traveling. We bring one phone on island with us just in case we have a problem. We don't have the luxury of "being out of touch" with everything since we have elderly, ill parents at home that we need to check up on. Using a cell phone to call a caregiver is a lot cheaper than using ship phones.

I see that RCCL has cell phone access on their ships. For those who have used it, can you tell me what the charges are? And is it available for all carriers? I use Verizon, which does not have world wide coverage like other carriers.

Thanks.

I have Verizon. Call them and tell them you want international roaming.

I believe Cellphone service is provided by AT&T on RCI, at least in 2006 it was Cingular. I haven't really checked the last couple of times since my cell phone is off and only to be used in emergency, like when we are sinking. :D

OK I know I'm in the minority here but can't we leave the phones home as much as possible??

One of the great things about cruising is the total freedom being "out of touch" can give you, especially if tied to your phone at work. I cringe at the thought of hearing cell phones ringing all over the ship....

Hopefully the easy access will not cause an onslaught of cell phone conversations in the public areas of the ship. Would be awful! If lucky the cost will stay high enough to prevent that from happening!!

It is amazing how many people think how dependent they are. About 5 years ago there was no cellphone on ships, heck 10 years ago hardly anybody had a cell phone.:p

But honestly, I have not been on a cruise where people were just chatting away on cellphones. Maybe the occasional one but nothing bothersome.

This is exactly why I take cruises. I can always say: I am not available.

:D

FL Cruiser-

My sentiments exactly. Hopefully it will never become the norm to see people chatting away on cell phones on a ship!! There are so many other ways to check in with home now, such as the internet, which is what I used until my Mom passed away.

On a ship I hope the only time I have to pick up a phone is to hear room service say, "Coffee will be there in 5 minutes!":D :D

I did add the plan to my cell phone and I am waiting for my bill to come in.. I am figuring it will be astronomical, but I had to check on my children and my grandchild and let them know we were ok... they were so worried about their parents going to Italy...

I will post what the bill is when I get it.......after I pick myself up off the floor.

FL Cruiser-

My sentiments exactly. Hopefully it will never become the norm to see people chatting away on cell phones on a ship!! There are so many other ways to check in with home now, such as the internet.

I agree about not having to listen to people on cell phones all the time, but the reason I asked is because I am changing jobs a week after we return from the cruise. And, that job is 1700 miles away from where we live now. So, our house is on the market, and in today's market, if an offer comes in when I'm only 2 days into the cruise, the potential buyer is not going to want to wait another 12 days until we return. As for the internet, much more expensive than a cell phone call.

That gets into a whole other problem:eek: If you have an IPhone, people have reported huge bills if it is turned on as it keeps updating.

It's worse than that - if you don't turn off your data plan, the iPhone will update even if the phone is turned OFF:eek: . My friend who has one says that Apple has updated the software so you can turn the plan off yourself instead of calling it in.

We have AT&T and have been advised to keep our phones off because if somebody does call and it kicks to voice mail, we'll be charged for the call if the phone is on. If the phone is off we'll only be charged for retrieving the message. So if we're not in a domestic port, we turn the phone on only to see if there are messages. Then it goes off again.

Archived