A little warning about OS1334 (Freedom Class)

Boo Boo

I don't know if this does apply to FreedomOS and will apply to IndependenceOS, but it was our experience on LibertyOS (so assume it MAY be a Freedom Class problem...).

We were in Cabin 1334 a few weeks ago. It is a fantastic cabin in a fantastic location, BUT we soon notticed an odd noise. My husband said "you sure can hear the next door cabin flushing their WC, can't you". Then they flushed it again, and again, and again. Hhhhmmm, "someone enjoys using their WC", I thought.... At certain times during the day, there was an awful LOT of flushing (like maybe a couple of times a minute for some times). Even if you were laying in bed (not just in the bathroom) you could hear it - the sound would sort of rumble across the bedroom ceiling (like a flushing of pipes).

This is when we looked at the floor plans and, sure enough, the WJ Public WCs were directly above our stateroom. The flushing sounds were the WCs being flushed. At certain times of day - particulaly breakfast, lunch and the evening - the WCs got rather busy!

It was annoying, but didn't disturb our sleep, so we chalked it down as a disadvantage of cabin location... and put up with it.

Anyway, 4 days into our cruise, I was feeling a little under the weather (no upset stomachs or sickness - don't worry) and we decided not to leave the ship that port day. We decided to make the most of a day on the ship. We got back to the stateroom for a quiet couple of hours to find a couple of maintenance guys in there with the ceiling over the bed down and all sorts of things going on. Our Stateroom attendant was also there and said that this was because of complaints from the previous week's occupants: so the maintenance men were trying to put sound insulation around the pipes in the ceiling... Too them a couple of hours to do so...

Anyway, the sound insulation did improve things a bit (too the edge off of the volume of the flushing sound), but it is still quite notticeable... (we fed this back to the stateroom attendant - so RCCL MAY have tried to imrpove the situation further since...).

I nottice that the RS is under the men's WJ WCs - I don't know whether that also suffers from a similar problem. I am guessing that men don't flush as much (i.e. they use the urinals more often, which I assume maybe don't flush in the same way?).

So I wanted to warn people about possible "flushing" noise in OS1334 on Liberty (and possibly other Freedom Class ships). OS1334 WAS a GREAT room: absolutely gorgeous and fabulous location. It was the only OS available when I booked our cruise and - if that was the case again - I would still book it. BUT if another OS was open (away from the WCs...), I would book that in preference.

Boo

Did they not let you know before hand they were going into your stateroom? Although I wouldn't have a problem with them trying to fix something I most definitely would have a problem with anyone being in my stateroom without prior notice.

M

Did they not let you know before hand they were going into your stateroom? Although I wouldn't have a problem with them trying to fix something I most definitely would have a problem with anyone being in my stateroom without prior notice.

M

No, to be fair, they had sceduled it for a port day (so probably assumed that we would be off the ship). It was the day we were in Grand Cayman and we LOVE Grand Cayman. But I was feeling "under the weather" (and we have been to Grand Cayman quite a few times before) and we had just decided to have a quiet day onboard.

It was a little annoying, but we headed up to the main pool for an hour or so instead (which was VERY quiet too). If I had been feeling very ill (instead of just "under the weather"), they may have gotten thrown out ;)

It was good that they were doing something to try and fix it :).

Very interesting as I have OS1334 on the Freedom next August. Thanks for the heads up.

Freedom may or may not be affected (maybe someone who has stayed in OS1334 on the Freedom can post). It certainly has the same structural design, but maybe they insulated the pipes better... haven't seen any posts along these lines before... OS1334 is certainly a GREAT stateroom, though - you will love it and the convenience of the location was a real bonus for us :)

Boo

I have this cabin booked on the Freedom. I toured this cabin on the Liberty and liked the location and being on part of the hump. By the way, was your balcony a full sized balcony? The one on the Liberty was but when looking at the deck plans it shows the balcony cut off but it wasn't that way on the Liberty. Just want to make sure that the Freedom is the same way.

This was #1134 on the Liberty.

P1010154.jpg

P1010153.jpg

Is this typical sizewise for all RCCL ships? I'm looking at the Mariner and this is really tempting me to upgrade (again) for GS to OS.

M

The balconies on Freedom Class ships are deeper than those on the Voyager Class ships.

We had a GS on Mariner and OS on Liberty. The OS was completely gorgeous and loved it to bits, but the GS is a VERY nice (and well sized) cabin with a great balcony and bathroom...

.... you can't go wrong with a GS. Depending on group size, an OS is an extra unnecessary extravagence... but it sure is nice... ;)

Boo

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Booked this cabin for 8/29 sailing. Price dropped to about 2,100 pp. Surprising my husband, but worried about "flushing" problem. Anyone back recently? Have they insulated the pipes any better?

Since this post was created so long ago....does anyone know if the noise issue still exists? I have OS1334 booked on the Liberty of the Seas on May 2, 2010 and am curious if this issue has been corrected.....

Yes , Is there any new info on this room?

Sorry I don't have new info, but in Aug. 08 I remember hearing flushing later at night from the bathroom by the Windjammer. I wouldn't say it was a deal breaker though, it's a beautiful room and we really enjoyed it. Don't know if we'll ever have an OS again so I'm glad we go that one!

We were just recently in OS 1340 on the Freedom, right next to 1334 and it was very quiet, no noise at all. Amazed that there was no doorbell ringing this cruise, especially with the number of children on board. Most of the kids seemed to be very well behaved.

I will be in cabin 1620, looks like the pool deck is above me; I don't have a problem with that.

You might want to check out my review of that cabin ....do a search...you will find it. Loved having an OS but it was the WORST location I ever booked....did it on Indy and would NEVER book it again....loud slamming of loungers all night while they did deck cleaning and arranging of the loungers at 3-6 am, EVERY night....was woken every evening.

As for 1334...nothing has been done to quiet any of the flushing issues....even the RS on Freedom class has the flushing problem....very poor location choice for suites on Freedom class. You can see how they changed that on oasis class moving most all suites from being under the pool deck.

Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966784&highlight=1620

Smart travelers always bring earplugs. Any cabin on any ship can experience noise, from neighbors, to repairs or maintenance to equipment, or other reasons. Don't depend on location to ensure quiet....bring earplugs so that you are in control of noise, and not somebody else.

Smart travelers always bring earplugs. Any cabin on any ship can experience noise, from neighbors, to repairs or maintenance to equipment, or other reasons. Don't depend on location to ensure quiet....bring earplugs so that you are in control of noise, and not somebody else.

One wouldn't expect to have to wear earplugs when I book a 10K cabin.....a cheap interior guar. maybe...but not a top end suite.

We were just recently in OS 1340 on the Freedom, right next to 1334 and it was very quiet, no noise at all. Amazed that there was no doorbell ringing this cruise, especially with the number of children on board. Most of the kids seemed to be very well behaved.

Good to hear! We are in 1340 on August 22 and was wondering if you have any pics and what the balcony furniture was like. Is there a small table to eat out there and how many loungers. There is 4 of us in the room.

The family is so very excited!!

Thanks

One wouldn't expect to have to wear earplugs when I book a 10K cabin.....a cheap interior guar. maybe...but not a top end suite.

I always wondered about that. On a Voyager class ship, to me Deck 9 is prime real estate, but all the big suites are on Deck 10, right underneath the pools and the Windjammer.:confused:

I always wondered about that. On a Voyager class ship, to me Deck 9 is prime real estate, but all the big suites are on Deck 10, right underneath the pools and the Windjammer.:confused:

Poor planning/design:rolleyes:....thats what it amounts to....they learn as they go on....that is why the changes to suite locations on Oasis/Allure....they learned.

You may want to risk leaving your serenity up to the builder's of the ship, your neighbors, etc. Personally, I prefer to have a "plan B", so that I'm in charge of how well I sleep.

Some people just blow whichever way the wind blows....others take the helm and steer their own lives.

It's no big deal if you chose to travel unprepared....I just don't want to hear the whining here after the trip.

Is this typical sizewise for all RCCL ships? I'm looking at the Mariner and this is really tempting me to upgrade (again) for GS to OS.

M

Some GS have larger balconies that OS in the voyager class...check the room/balcony dimensions on the RCL site before changing!

We stayed in 1334 on LOS in January. We could hear the flushing - loudest of all in our own bathroom - but it was faint and did not bother us in the least. My husband did not seem to notice it until I mentioned it to him. He thought it was the hot tub the whole time and turned out it made him happy because "it reminds me we're at sea" (!!). I knew what it was because of these forums and chose the suite despite negative reports. As I expected, that kind of sound (water whooshing through pipes) was not annoying to us in the least. We heard absolutely no scraping of loungers or anything else like that at night. We loved 1334!!

Archived