Very Boring roll call what to do?

Thamsey

I am going on a TA in April and have to say this is such a boring roll call I am now questioning doing this trip at all.I have a friend who is going on a southern carribbean cruise and have so enjoyed reading that roll call and also the TA next November, that I also have booked. My friend who is going on the southern carribbean trip is also booked on the April trip and I know he also is quite blown away with how boring the roll call is. \My question has anyone had a great trip in spite of a bad roll call?How important is the roll call to the solo cruiser?

I have yet to get on a good roll call (except when I visit other peoples:eek: ) - this year - my 3rd solo - was the first I have even managed to meet anyone from any of the boards - then it was 1 (another solo) from Cruise Critic and a couple from another site.

Yes it was nice 'knowing' someone - you can go up to them at sailaway, in the bars etc - BUT, I would say the dinner table mix was more important - even this year, when I was a bit concerned when first meeting my table mates, they were great, and they were the ones I spent most time with (excluding dinner) - either on deck at sailaway and after dinner in the lounges.

I hope I get some good companions this next time in November - despite 5 people signing up to the November roll call, none have been back to visit - beginning to think I am putting them off :D

The same is happening with the April cruise - but I am less concerned about that one as it is some time off yet.

I am sure you will have a great cruise

Karen

I wouldn't judge a cruise by its roll call. I've had amazing roll calls... pages and pages of messages, parties planned, etc etc. and then, once on board, not really hooked up with any of them for one reason or another (and still had a great time). Then again, I've been on dead-beat roll calls but once onboard found LOTS of friendly people to talk to. I don't think the roll calls are any indication of the people going on the cruise. Be open, be friendly, be out-going... and you'll always make friends. :)

FWIW, I don't travel solo... I travel with my mom. But I DO look for solo travelers and will make an effort to extend invitations to sit with us whenever I get the chance, like at cocktail parties, BINGO and trivia. We've met a lot of very nice ladies who travel alone. I can certainly see myself doing this some day and enjoying it.

I wouldn't judge a cruise by its roll call. I've had amazing roll calls... pages and pages of messages, parties planned, etc etc. and then, once on board, not really hooked up with any of them for one reason or another (and still had a great time). Then again, I've been on dead-beat roll calls but once onboard found LOTS of friendly people to talk to. I don't think the roll calls are any indication of the people going on the cruise. Be open, be friendly, be out-going... and you'll always make friends. :)

FWIW, I don't travel solo... I travel with my mom. But I DO look for solo travelers and will make an effort to extend invitations to sit with us whenever I get the chance, like at cocktail parties, BINGO and trivia. We've met a lot of very nice ladies who travel alone. I can certainly see myself doing this some day and enjoying it.

I agree with all of the above...I would not be concerned one way or the other about how a roll call goes...it's fun talking to folks before the cruise but once onboard is when the fun truly begins!!! So don't even give a dead roll call a second thought!!!

I have at times cruised solo and always find friendly people who include me in their group...I have never had a cruise where I didn't have an absolutley fantastic time!!!!Get onboard with the thought of meeting some new and interesting people and enjoying the cruise. :p

Do you realize that those who post on these boards are probably less than 2% of the entire cruise population?...

As I type this reply, we have 301,022 members. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php and scroll toward the bottom to the Cruise Critic Message Boards Statistics section.

The current estimate is there are 2.97 million people (worldwide) who cruise. It looks like we now have about 10% of the market in our ranks.

Yes, I know they are not all posting on the boards. However, it does show we continue to grow in membership.

Kat020105_emYA11_prv.gif

Do you realize that those who post on these boards are probably less than 2% of the entire cruise population? We would never base a cruise on who is or is not on a roll call.

I agree completely. It is sometimes difficult to appreciate that CC members make up a small percentage of the cruising population but consider this: I'm involved in a very lively roll call from my December cruise. There are 83 of us signed up for the Meet & Mingle. There are 3500 passengers on our ship. Our little group is just a drop in the ocean!:D Go, have a great time!

I'm not quite there yet with the Roll Calls.

I can see being on a roll and actively participating for a cruise 2 years out where you end up "knowing" the other posters over time and then wanting to truly meet them IRL. But in my case, my bookings are usually within 6 months, so there is so much less time to get to know other CCers of a particular thread.

So I'm more inclined to side with the "table mates" side of things. After all, dining is the single most consistently social activity we do on-board so those people are "more important" to me...

Recently I was on a very small roll call and planned to meet up with 2 couples, but could never find them once on the cruise. I had a fabulous time and met many nice people. I doubt if many of your future fellow shipmates have even heard of CC, let alone been on a roll call.

Don't worry about it - go and enjoy yourself. Each cruise is a new adventure and it doesn't depend on other people to make it happen - just you! :D

As I type this reply' date=' we have 301,022 members. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php and scroll toward the bottom to the [b']Cruise Critic Message Boards Statistics [/b]section.

The current estimate is there are 2.97 million people (worldwide) who cruise. It looks like we now have about 10% of the market in our ranks.

Yes, I know they are not all posting on the boards. However, it does show we continue to grow in membership.

Kat020105_emYA11_prv.gif

Actually 12 Million people cruised worldwide in 2006.

http://www.itsasurvey.com/artman2/publish/entertainment/12_Million_Cruisers_Worth_Big_Money.shtml

I am actually sorry I posted this. There are very nice people on the roll call just more serious then other roll calls. I think because I am going solo I get a little antsy (only my 2nd solo) so please let this thread die down. I am sure it will be fine and I am looking forward to the cruise and to meeting the people on the roll call.

...so please let this thread die down...

If I understand your request correctly, I am closing the thread.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived