What amount do people REALLY tip?

fenreed

(some with more difficulty than others; for instance read NCL's FAQ about it at http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#tipping for more info on that).

_

WOW- so the $10 per person per day on NCL isn't considered a gratuity at all- it is a service charge- and they think you ship tip for excellent service ON TOP of that?

I have no problem with auto-tips (or service charge) but I do wish they would just add them into the cruise fare. Tipping at a land based restaurant is just a few dollars "here or there", but when it's $80 per person at the end of an expensive cruise (plus tips on drinks, luggage, cabs, excursions)- that adds up. I know there are A LOT of posters who say "that's nothing" or "it is so much more money to your server than it is to you" and while that $80+ probably does have more value to my server, it is still a lot of money to me- and I am SO glad I did my research and knew about it ahead of time.

• Administrators
WOW- so the $10 per person per day on NCL isn't considered a gratuity at all- it is a service charge- and they think you ship tip for excellent service ON TOP of that? <snip>

No, they call it a "service charge" but it's listed in the FAQ under tipping, and that's what is "expected." Anything extra you leave is on TOP of that, but nothing more is required or expected. I think they've just changed the terminology in accordance with some of the thoughts a few people have expressed here.

WOW- so the $10 per person per day on NCL isn't considered a gratuity at all- it is a service charge- and they think you ship tip for excellent service ON TOP of that?

I have no problem with auto-tips (or service charge) but I do wish they would just add them into the cruise fare. Tipping at a land based restaurant is just a few dollars "here or there", but when it's $80 per person at the end of an expensive cruise (plus tips on drinks, luggage, cabs, excursions)- that adds up. I know there are A LOT of posters who say "that's nothing" or "it is so much more money to your server than it is to you" and while that $80+ probably does have more value to my server, it is still a lot of money to me- and I am SO glad I did my research and knew about it ahead of time.

I totally agree with you. The cruise lines should just add the auto-tip into the cost of the cruise...without mentioning it specifically... and avoid 'pissing people off'' like all of the inflamed posters in this forum. The balance of any gratuity forthcoming would be on a service related basis...as it should be. I did tip above and beyond auto-tip...I guess I am unusual from what I read in this forum.

Nita. Name a Cruise Line where removing tips is difficult. I have never experienced any difficulty & not once have I been the only one in line at GR doing the same.It clearly states in all the major cruise lines documentation that removing Grats is an option.Possibly Cunard & Costa may be a different story but they are at both ends of the cruising spectrum. Princess do it differently by allocating a time & day to remove grats. On the Grand Princess in Europe a few years ago the line went all the way around the deck, for no other reason than Europeans don't like it. I think this is a ploy to try to make people feel embarrassed. How wonderful is that.
Well, last year we were with another couple on HAL, they had terrible service from thier room steward (unusual for HAL) they asked to have the auto tip removed so they could just tip those who were not below par: the management gave them such a hassle and they were informed those who were tipped would still have to pool the tips, they choose to leave the $10 per day on. I have heard from several others, NCL does the same. In fact I have been told NCL makes you fill out a form. I, personally, have never had a reason to even consider the removal of the tips. I can't swear what it says on the HAL brochures but I could pull it right now if I wanted as I always have a supply of brochures for clients but I don't think NCL brochures say anything like that.

Nita

I have cruised over 13 times and have always tipped -almost all times well above the recommended amount.

but because I was served well-

Let me say-a tip is something earned!-not a right.

My point is, that to say that to not tip is stealing is not correct-I am not stealing a paycheck if I do not tip.

I tip for service given and 99% of the time I get that service-if I do not get it I will not tip-if you look after me I am happy and I do not expect alot for that-

just a smile and half decent service-if it is the kitchen's fault or something else then you still get tipped.

If you are having a bad day and things are not good then hold it in-do not show me. You will get tipped-if not -then the tip will be reduced

I was a waitress for 10 years and yes we work hard -very hard at times -but part of the job is knowing we will not get tipped sometimes-that is the way it goes-sometimes people do not tip

I went into it knowing that and most times I made really good money and once in a while I did not get a tip

that is the business

I expect service and tip very well for that-my husband on the other hand tips everyone 15% and above no matter what the service -good or bad- which in my opinion does not make any one want to work better then anyone else

just my opinion

thanks

lisa

Well, last year we were with another couple on HAL, they had terrible service from thier room steward (unusual for HAL) they asked to have the auto tip removed so they could just tip those who were not below par: the management gave them such a hassle and they were informed those who were tipped would still have to pool the tips, they choose to leave the $10 per day on. I have heard from several others, NCL does the same. In fact I have been told NCL makes you fill out a form. I, personally, have never had a reason to even consider the removal of the tips. I can't swear what it says on the HAL brochures but I could pull it right now if I wanted as I always have a supply of brochures for clients but I don't think NCL brochures say anything like that.

Nita

This would not put me off HAL, but I would make damm sure the tips came off at the start, this sounds like intimadation.

Perhaps that is why P&O UK stopped this practice on the one ship they tried it on.

I would conceed that an auto tip would be sensible on lines which are all freestyle, NCL for example when you do not have the same waiters each night. But only for that element of the tip!

:):) Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Nita

The problem is your information comes from what you've been told or what you've heard, not from actual experience. I was on NCL last November, not in Europe , out of New York. As always I went to GR, showed myself & the Wifes Sail & Sign Card, was asked If I wished to remove part or all of the Tip, No forms No Hassle,whole thing less than 30 seconds. We travel typically in a group of 8-10 Family & Friends some with over 80 + cruises behind them. We all remove the auto tips on every cruise & none of us have ever been hassled or quizzed on any cruise line. Maybe' It's because they are so used to It from the Brits, they don't bother to challenge us. By the way, I did remove the Dining part because for the first time on cruise ship, the standard of service in the Freestyle was the worst I've experienced. Up to an hour between courses & cold when food did arrive.

http://www.nationalrestaurantassociation.com/pressroom/print/index.cfm?ID=890

That may be of interest.

First: The entire notion of tipping by percentage is illogical. If I go to a restaurant and order a $25 dollar meal why does that deserve more of a tip than if I go to that same restaurant and order a $12 meal?

Second: It is inconsistent that we as a society feel the need to elevate only the wages of wait staff to such high levels. Over a given day, most of us are serviced by many other people who don't earn a great wage, yet none of us give the cashier at the grocery store a 15-20% tip, yet her work is just as hard as bringin a plate from the kitchen to your table.

It is only because wait staff earn below minimum wage that we are honor bound to leave some money, however 15-20% is more than is required.

Third: Wait staff are required to report 8% of their receipts as income, most earn more than this (thanks to your generosity) yet few report an honest tally of their income to the government. They are by and large guilty of tax evasion, a crime which costs every other honest tax payer in the land. Certainly they are not all theives, I'm sure there are some who do pay their fair share of taxes. I have never met any however. :)

I have some interst in statistics, perhaps who could clarify what those differences are?

When you are unemployed in the UK to get benefits you are recorded on a national data base with one set of conditions.

When you record unemployment in the US you do it at state level, the criteria varies from state to state, like the lenght of time you will receive benefit, and also the criteria's for joining etc.

Therefore in the UK the statistics come from one central point and have the same criteria, there are other difference's

I have cruised over 13 times and have always tipped -almost all times well above the recommended amount.

but because I was served well-

Let me say-a tip is something earned!-not a right.

My point is, that to say that to not tip is stealing is not correct-I am not stealing a paycheck if I do not tip.

I tip for service given and 99% of the time I get that service-if I do not get it I will not tip-if you look after me I am happy and I do not expect alot for that-

just a smile and half decent service-if it is the kitchen's fault or something else then you still get tipped.

lisa

I agree with you. My comment about stealing was not about withholding tips due to poor service. Most of the comments about not tipping on this thread have very little to do with the level of service received. Most comments are from those who just do not like to tip so they come up with all sorts of reasons why they should not have to. ;)

This would not put me off HAL, but I would make damm sure the tips came off at the start, this sounds like intimadation.

Perhaps that is why P&O UK stopped this practice on the one ship they tried it on.

I would conceed that an auto tip would be sensible on lines which are all freestyle, NCL for example when you do not have the same waiters each night. But only for that element of the tip!

:):) Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

I think we have to realize, more and more lines are going with some form of "anytime dining" which will result in the auto tip being much easier. HAL already has it as does Princess. Of course if you choose traditional dining that is different. I beleive RCI has or soon will start flex dining. For those who prefer traditional dining, how you tip is strictly preferance, I still do the auto, for those who do the anytime version auto tipping is the only way it can work successfully.

Nita

The problem is your information comes from what you've been told or what you've heard, not from actual experience. I was on NCL last November, not in Europe , out of New York. As always I went to GR, showed myself & the Wifes Sail & Sign Card, was asked If I wished to remove part or all of the Tip, No forms No Hassle,whole thing less than 30 seconds. We travel typically in a group of 8-10 Family & Friends some with over 80 + cruises behind them. We all remove the auto tips on every cruise & none of us have ever been hassled or quizzed on any cruise line. Maybe' It's because they are so used to It from the Brits, they don't bother to challenge us. By the way, I did remove the Dining part because for the first time on cruise ship, the standard of service in the Freestyle was the worst I've experienced. Up to an hour between courses & cold when food did arrive.

As you said, maybe because you are Brits the cruise lines react differently. As for hearsay, yes, it is, but not from one source but perhaps 10 or 15. One sourse I would question, several I have to believe there is some truth. I am the last person on earth to beleive everything I see or hear. If you have followed my postings you would know this. I have often been criticized for doubting what I read. The HAL situation was first hand.

Just out of curiosity what ship and when did you have to wait an hour between courses? I am not challenges you or questioning you, just wondering. We have never had service even similar to that on any line.

Nita LOL

I agree with you. My comment about stealing was not about withholding tips due to poor service. Most of the comments about not tipping on this thread have very little to do with the level of service received. Most comments are from those who just do not like to tip so they come up with all sorts of reasons why they should not have to. ;)

And I whole heartily agree with you. People who normally tip the expected amounts or more rarely, if ever start these threads. Of course it is a subject that comes up every month or so. This one will die soon, just to have another one pop up the following week with the same debate.

Nita

As you said, maybe because you are Brits the cruise lines react differently. As for hearsay, yes, it is, but not from one source but perhaps 10 or 15. One sourse I would question, several I have to believe there is some truth. I am the last person on earth to beleive everything I see or hear. If you have followed my postings you would know this. I have often been criticized for doubting what I read. The HAL situation was first hand.

Just out of curiosity what ship and when did you have to wait an hour between courses? I am not challenges you or questioning you, just wondering. We have never had service even similar to that on any line.

Nita LOL

Hi! The Cruise NCL Spirit NYC to South Caribbean 19th Oct 2006. The worst Service & Food in 50 years of Cruising. Service did gradually improve over the period of the cruise, their excuse being a NEW menu. Even the pay restaurant Le Bistro was the same, slow & food unremarkable. This however did not destroy the overall cruise experience as the weather & ports of call made up for this. You can read my Members Review on this site. Regards.

That the cruise lines add 10.00-12.00 USD per day to your total should be seen as the cruise lines estimate of what would be fair wage if they PAID fair wage, which means it's probably on the low side.

While what we tip is 'budgetable' pin money for us, for those on the receiving end, it's wages, it's food, kids shoes, heating bills.

Please folks, this is not the place to skimp.

~ tee

That the cruise lines add 10.00-12.00 USD per day to your total should be seen as the cruise lines estimate of what would be fair wage if they PAID fair wage, which means it's probably on the low side.

While what we tip is 'budgetable' pin money for us, for those on the receiving end, it's wages, it's food, kids shoes, heating bills.

Please folks, this is not the place to skimp.

~ tee

Hi Teetype,

Well I think that most of us do not skimp, however that does not mean we approve of the concept. As I have said before we give more than indicated by P&O, but I do no believe people should have to rely on tips to achieve a living wage, wereever you are in the world.

BTW is your avitor thingey a good likeness or is that your better side:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

When you are unemployed in the UK to get benefits you are recorded on a national data base with one set of conditions.

When you record unemployment in the US you do it at state level, the criteria varies from state to state, like the lenght of time you will receive benefit, and also the criteria's for joining etc.

Therefore in the UK the statistics come from one central point and have the same criteria, there are other difference's

The unemployment rate in the U.S is recorded by the Bureau of labor statistics, not by the individual states.

Check out their website www.bls.gov

They go into detail concerning their methodology--I will suffice it to say that they do not rely solely (or very much at all) on who is receiving benefits. edit: For clarification I will mention that their methodology records more people than those who are receiving benefits.

What other differences are there?

Hi! The Cruise NCL Spirit NYC to South Caribbean 19th Oct 2006. The worst Service & Food in 50 years of Cruising. Service did gradually improve over the period of the cruise, their excuse being a NEW menu. Even the pay restaurant Le Bistro was the same, slow & food unremarkable. This however did not destroy the overall cruise experience as the weather & ports of call made up for this. You can read my Members Review on this site. Regards.
Thanks Wilba for answering my question. we have been lucky overall and rarely had bad service on NCL. some cruises and nights have been better than others, overall we can't complain. One 4 night cruise on RCI and one on Carnival were not very good and our 5 night cruise on Celebrity was terrible, both room steward and dining room. Other than that we have always been more than satisfied.

Nita

Hi Teetype,

Well I think that most of us do not skimp, however that does not mean we approve of the concept. As I have said before we give more than indicated by P&O, but I do no believe people should have to rely on tips to achieve a living wage, wereever you are in the world.

BTW is your avitor thingey a good likeness or is that your better side

Happy Cruising

Dai

Hi Dai:

I had to go through your quote and remove all the smilies before I could post because we're only allowed 6 images in our posts including smilies! *chuckling* New one on me!

What you see is my most sunshiny self before coffee in the mornin' :)

I agree 100% and will go a step further and say that I think the whole tipping-based income is demeaning to those who depend on it.

Nevertheless, they DO depend on it, as do their children. My removing their tips would be the tantamount to approaching the captain and demanding he give me back a part of his salary because he sailed away an hour late.

~tee

Let's cut to the chase here...if you wanna go on a cruise... then plan to tip...if you are a cheapskate and don't want to tip...then don't...that is where automatic gratuities come into the picture because cruise lines know that there are cheapskates that will not tip. I am by no means a seasoned cruiser or a big tipper...but the tip factor is present on a cruise just like the tax on fuel for your car, or property taxes for schools...or income tax. I have never tipped a stewardess or a pilot on an airline...but that doesn't seem to be an issue here. In my humble opinion...if you want to go on a cruise then be prepared to tip...plain and simple. If you don't want to tip...then drive to wherever you are going.

And I whole heartily agree with you. People who normally tip the expected amounts or more rarely, if ever start these threads. Of course it is a subject that comes up every month or so. This one will die soon, just to have another one pop up the following week with the same debate.

Nita

BINGO!!!

Archived