Good WaterPROOF Digital Camera??

Sugar*Magnolia

Tough time deciding on waterproof digitals. Just realized, going to an island like Dominica that has all water related excursions and high humidity, moisture level I might want to buy one before we leave.

I didnt think I wanted one that was a regular digital and came with a plastic housing- I thought I wanted a rubberized type one specifically for abuse and under water! My DS thinks the ones with a housing are better cameras. They might leak at some point?

Opinions from experience? I was thinking the ViViCam 6200W

Tough time deciding on waterproof digitals. Just realized, going to an island like Dominica that has all water related excursions and high humidity, moisture level I might want to buy one before we leave.

I didnt think I wanted one that was a regular digital and came with a plastic housing- I thought I wanted a rubberized type one specifically for abuse and under water! My DS thinks the ones with a housing are better cameras. They might leak at some point?

I have a little Pentax Optio WP. It doesnt have any cumbersum casing, its light and easy to use, all you have to do is slide the button on the battery/ memory card slot to lock and away you go.

I have had it for 3 years now , its been underwater in the caribbean and the Red sea and in pools and there has never been a problem with leaks.

Hope this helps...

Kim

Are you a diver? Do you plan on using it under water or do you just want to have a camera that is okay to get a little wet. Most camera manufacturers also make waterproof housings for their cameras. The housings are completely waterproof and can be used at 100' or so of depth. Or if you only need a waterproof one for a small amount of pictures, you could buy the disposable cameras and have them developed digitally.

If you have a digital cam why not buy the water proof case from DiciPac. I just did under water videos from helmet diving, awsome!!!!!!

It cost me 34 bucks.

I have a canon that does have a waterproof housing and I love it. We have used to kayaking, snorkeling, horseback riding in the rain, etc. The one I have only goes to about 12 ft depth but the new ones go for a lot deeper.

If you have a digital cam why not buy the water proof case from DiciPac. I just did under water videos from helmet diving, awsome!!!!!!

It cost me 34 bucks.

Where can I buy one? Online or do any major retailers carry them?

Thanks!

I bought one of these last year for $30 bucks and would recommend it. http://www.aquapac.net/ on thier website you can maybe find a store near you that sells it instead of ordering one. One thing you have to keep in mind about taking underwater pictures is not every shot is great there is alot less light underwater here are a few pics I took in cococay last year

fish-cococay.jpg

underwater-cococay.jpg

underwater-cococay.jpg

Nice shot of the cannon Johnny.

I've got a Fuji Finepix A500 that I have a shallow-water case for (10 feet or so). Going to try it out next week in Cozumel. It the same camera that I take my hobby pics with. (See link below :D )

Just can't say enough good things about my Olympus Stylus 720 SW

Has now been snorkeling in Grand Cayman, cave tubing in Belize, and snorkeling for land vacation in Abaco Bahamas.

It is waterproof to 10 feet ( I know I took it deeper than that) and takes amazing pictures and video below and above water. It is so small..... I put it an a lanyard around my neck and when I am not using it - well it gets tucked in to my swimsuit in a nice safe place :eek:

We liked it so much...... dh and I both have one now :D

I have a canon and a housing for it for diving. I would recommend it to anyone. My housing is rated up to 120 feet and as long as you take good care of the housing and use the silicone sealant every once in a while I don't worry about it at all. I will throw up some pics I have from my diving with my camera.

613327551_Chikin-HaSelection.jpg.da62c8a04e10e3107efd75cb2cfdadf7.jpg

1107071532_Chikin-HaSelection(4).jpg.ad27c71c19f4cba35516ef05a9d9b0b4.jpg

:) I would recommend buying a Dicapac as FL_Cruiser64 suggested. I got mine on ebay from a distributer here in Florida - it was $34.95 including shipping and I got in 3 days after paying. http://stores.ebay.com/LANDLOOP-PHOTO-USA

Well worth the price and they take amazing pictures - crystal clear!

DH and I are divers and have 3 kiddos, you wouldn't know that we take our pics with a 6.2 mp Kodak! :o

Thank you all for your ideas!! Greatly appreciated and good to know the housings do work well!

I think Im looking for a seperate digital camera just for the beach and water stuff. I rather just leave my Sony digital behind and know there is one designated for water activity. Thanks to the poster who suggeted the disposable camera's. Always done that in the past, lol. Our next cruise is 12 nights and 6 different ports and 5 of the ports will invovle sand and water.

Think Im sticking with the ViViCam 6200w.

(not big on vivitar but unless I hear really bad reviews..)

I have a little Pentax Optio WP. It doesnt have any cumbersum casing, its light and easy to use, all you have to do is slide the button on the battery/ memory card slot to lock and away you go.

I have had it for 3 years now , its been underwater in the caribbean and the Red sea and in pools and there has never been a problem with leaks.

Hope this helps...

Kim

I will second this. DH has a degree in photography and is REALLY picky about cameras. He loves the Pentax WP, and we take it every time we cruise. Takes great pics in and out of water. And it wasn't break the bank expensive either. Another plus-it has a rechargable battery. DH and DD both have non-WP digital cameras that use the same battery, so it works out really well.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Where can I buy one? Online or do any major retailers carry them?

Thanks!

Here is the link to the company site with the camera selection

http://http://www.dicapack.com/new_eng/03_manual/sub02.html

go to the bottom and see if they have your cam listed. If your cam is not listed it still may work. I have a Kodak M833. Since the camera just came out in September it is not listed. But the WP-100 from DiciPac works well with it (just like my old 530).

I bought mine from E-Bay - brandnew. If you have an E-Bay account I tell the EBayer. Extremly reliable, fast shipping. Otherwise just do a google by typing in (in quotation marks) "DicaPac WP- ****" (just put your number in as per DicaPac site). I am sure there is lots of retailers.

:) I would recommend buying a Dicapac as FL_Cruiser64 suggested. I got mine on ebay from a distributer here in Florida - it was $34.95 including shipping and I got in 3 days after paying. http://stores.ebay.com/LANDLOOP-PHOTO-USA

Well worth the price and they take amazing pictures - crystal clear!

DH and I are divers and have 3 kiddos, you wouldn't know that we take our pics with a 6.2 mp Kodak! :o

Question for you: How deep did you go with your DicaPac? I was 25 feet (helmet diving) but as divers I assume you went much deeper than that.

Thank you all for your ideas!! Greatly appreciated and good to know the housings do work well!

I think Im looking for a seperate digital camera just for the beach and water stuff. I rather just leave my Sony digital behind and know there is one designated for water activity. Thanks to the poster who suggeted the disposable camera's. Always done that in the past, lol. Our next cruise is 12 nights and 6 different ports and 5 of the ports will invovle sand and water.

Think Im sticking with the ViViCam 6200w.

(not big on vivitar but unless I hear really bad reviews..)

The DicaPac is sand, dirt AND water proof.

:D

I just bought a new digital camera and its a OlympusSTylus 770. Says it is waterproof to 33 feet ( I haven't tested it) and shock proof up to 5 ft. it is 7,1 megapixals. it is small enough to fit in my purse or pockeet and I have been carrying it hiking and to disney world in the month I have had it.

Ellen

Here is the link to the company site with the camera selection

http://www.dicapack.com/new_eng/03_manual/sub02.html

go to the bottom and see if they have your cam listed. If your cam is not listed it still may work. I have a Kodak M833. Since the camera just came out in September it is not listed. But the WP-100 from DiciPac works well with it (just like my old 530).

I bought mine from E-Bay - brandnew. If you have an E-Bay account I tell the EBayer. Extremly reliable, fast shipping. Otherwise just do a google by typing in (in quotation marks) "DicaPac WP- ****" (just put your number in as per DicaPac site). I am sure there is lots of retailers.

Hey Fl_Cruiser,

I edited your post and took out one of the http:// that you had on the link which kept it from loading properly. Thanks!!!

Sue

\

Just can't say enough good things about my Olympus Stylus 720 SW

Has now been snorkeling in Grand Cayman, cave tubing in Belize, and snorkeling for land vacation in Abaco Bahamas.

It is waterproof to 10 feet ( I know I took it deeper than that) and takes amazing pictures and video below and above water. It is so small..... I put it an a lanyard around my neck and when I am not using it - well it gets tucked in to my swimsuit in a nice safe place :eek:

We liked it so much...... dh and I both have one now :D

Ditto this! We have this same camera and got great pictures while snorkeling at several islands. Funny part was this was right after they came out and people were SCREAMING at my DH because they thought he was mistakenly taking his camera in the ocean.

We typically only do shore and reef dives in the Keys and Bahamas since we are local to Florida. I haven't used it too deep - definetely around 25-30 feet, but they are rated to 56 feet. I won't be going deeper than that! LOL!

I love it because I can still take video and zoom as well. Really a great buy - we are going to use it tons on our Turkey Day Cruise to Eastern Caribbean.

I also have an Olympus and love it. I haven't snorkeled yet but have taken it fishing, liked the shockproof feature. It has taken great photos and easy to fit in pocket. The lens is covered when not in use and it starts up faster than my Kodak. I take a lot of bird pics and am able to crop way down & still have good photos. I need dummy proof cameras that I don't have to think about to use, this is it.

Karin

Archived