Cruise room safes? Are they secure?

We did have a bad experience with a safe. My DW had placed her earrings in the safe. When we got back to the room there was a note from the steward saying that they had found them on the floor.

I know my DW well enough to know that she is VERY organized. She didn't leave anything out. We are convinced that the steward was looking for a good tip.............it didn't work out for them!

Of all my cruises we have used the safe never an issue. The few and I mean few times I was locked out of the safe a crew member came to the cabin with us there of course and opened the safe. I remember seeing them using a device placed on the door that I think picked up/or transmitted information to/from the safe. It was not a fast process I will add.

Was there anything in your safe that would have been an easy pickup?

The only type of safe I've had on RCI is the 4 digit type, which is the same type I've had at over a dozen AI's. They are safe, pun not intended :).

I was told that some safes give you a choice of either a four digit code or a card with a magnetic stripe on it. I have seen these but had no idea what was up so used the four digits. I'm told I can use any card and swipe the safe and it will remember the swipe information. So I have an old hotel card that I will try if they have this type when I sail on the Summit this Friday. If not I'll go back to what has always worked fine for me.

I was told that some safes give you a choice of either a four digit code or a card with a magnetic stripe on it. I have seen these but had no idea what was up so used the four digits. I'm told I can use any card and swipe the safe and it will remember the swipe information. So I have an old hotel card that I will try if they have this type when I sail on the Summit this Friday. If not I'll go back to what has always worked fine for me.

I haven't cruised on a ship that gave you a choice, it was either the older ones that accepted a magnetic strip card or the newer ones that you had to put in a code. Either way, we haven't had any problems using the safes.

###

When I first started cruising, there were no safes in the cabins. If you wanted to check something valuable, it went to the Pursers Desk safe.

I used to leave some cash and jewelry on the vanity or in the little drawers and NEVER had anything touched. I wear my good jewelry at all times these days and still don't really use the safes even though they are available.

We have put our passports and documents in the safe but never locked it..it was just to keep them out of the way unless we needed them for ports..

I guess I've never taken anything THAT valuable on a cruise that I'd fear losing!!

Safes are pretty SAFE, if you use them the way they should be. If 4 number combo, pick unusual numbers. I always wipe keypad to be safe. You could change numbers part way thru your cruise for added security. If Card swipe type, use any magnetic type card.

I hit a big jackpot on the MOS in Sept. They paid me in cash, enough that GF had to carry some off at the end of the cruise. What worried me was it seemed like the whole crew that I interacted with knew about it. From the room steward to the waiters to the CL guys. They all were congratulating me. I kept the $$ in the safe with no problem.

We did have a bad experience with a safe. My DW had placed her earrings in the safe. When we got back to the room there was a note from the steward saying that they had found them on the floor.

I know my DW well enough to know that she is VERY organized. She didn't leave anything out. We are convinced that the steward was looking for a good tip.............it didn't work out for them!

I guarantee, the room steward can't get into a locked safe.

The safe's are safe...

I agree... someone is trying to damper your cruise-tude.

If you have something especially valuable, you could always ask the purser about putting it in their safe... I think they still have that option available.

I think I would actually feel better having things in my room safe than leaving them with the purser. No one is going in my room safe but my family. I have no idea who is in and out of the purser's office.

Archived