My Daughters Bear!!!?! OH NO!!!

angelsfort

Just this morning we had to leave our lovely cruise ship... as we were driving away from the port (and watching the ship fading in the rearveiw mirror) I suddenly got this sinking feeling in my tummy.

I asked my cabin-mate if she had by any chance picked up my daughters little bear from her bed and put it in one of our bags... her answer? NO!

OH CRAP!!! (please note that "crap" is NOT the word / language I was using) I didn't even think to pick it up out of her bed this morning to put it in our luggage.

Here's a little background info on "Baby Bear" it's a Ty Beanie Bear, he's Tan with a plaid ribbon around his neck... and she got him from her daddy when she was just a year old. When she was 18 months old, we lost her daddy in a tragic accident. This bear is VERY special to us... its one of only a few items that we've got to remember him by (that he gave to her personally, that is) she sleeps with Baby Bear (and one other stuffed animal, also from her daddy) every night.

Okay, after I realized that we had left Baby Bear in our cabin, I did a quick U-turn (probably illegally) and headed back to the ship... I told my friend that we weren't going to tell my daughter what had happened until we knew what the outcome was going to be...

I parked in the bus parking and left them in the car as I ran back to the terminal... I got stopped before I could go inside and I had to explain to the lady that my daughter had left her bear in the cabin (I said "my daughter" but I think it was just as much my fault!!) and we were quite upset about it. The lady got on the radio to the lost and found department... she told them that we were looking for a lost BROWN teddy bear that was left on the FLOOR of our cabin... OMG!!! I kept telling the lady "he's tan, not brown and he wasn't on the floor... he was in her bed... he'd be mixed in with the covers!" but that woman wouldn't call the lost and found person back...

so then she tells me that I can't wait there, that I have to walk across the road and wait on the other side... and she'll signal me when she finds something out. Okay, so I walk over there shaking my head, just knowing that they aren't going to find our precious little Baby Bear because she gave the wrong information.

15 minutes go by... I'm pacing... fretting...

FINALLY!! The lady waves me back over... I walk up to her and she says "They found the bear, they are bringing it down now" YIPPEE!! yAHOOO!!!! And what do I do?? I start crying like a baby! geez!!!! I'm sure the people around me were thinking I was some kind of mental person because I was crying about a silly bear...

They made me go back across the road to wait again... and after another 5 minutes she calls me over again and hands me our little Baby Bear.

I go back to the car and get in and then hand Baby Bear to my daughter... it takes a minute, but then her eyes get great big, and she takes a sudden intake of breath... and says "Momma, did we leave Baby Bear on the ship?" I told her we did and she just hugs him and hugs him.

"Momma, he was probably scared when he saw us leaving our room without him... he was probably saying to us "wait, wait, what about me?" but we didn't hear him and then when we didn't come back he probably got very sad thinking we were gone forever" (she's 4 by the way)

she got me tearing up again...

The rest of the cruise was AWESOME!

Did you get names,so you can write a letter to CCL and praise those that helped?

Did you tip the lady?

Are you going to look on ebay and buy another bear as a back up in case it ever does get lost?

Just this morning we had to leave our lovely cruise ship... as we were driving away from the port (and watching the ship fading in the rearveiw mirror) I suddenly got this sinking feeling in my tummy.

I asked my cabin-mate if she had by any chance picked up my daughters little bear from her bed and put it in one of our bags... her answer? NO!

OH CRAP!!! (please note that "crap" is NOT the word / language I was using) I didn't even think to pick it up out of her bed this morning to put it in our luggage.

Here's a little background info on "Baby Bear" it's a Ty Beanie Bear, he's Tan with a plaid ribbon around his neck... and she got him from her daddy when she was just a year old. When she was 18 months old, we lost her daddy in a tragic accident. This bear is VERY special to us... its one of only a few items that we've got to remember him by (that he gave to her personally, that is) she sleeps with Baby Bear (and one other stuffed animal, also from her daddy) every night.

Okay, after I realized that we had left Baby Bear in our cabin, I did a quick U-turn (probably illegally) and headed back to the ship... I told my friend that we weren't going to tell my daughter what had happened until we knew what the outcome was going to be...

I parked in the bus parking and left them in the car as I ran back to the terminal... I got stopped before I could go inside and I had to explain to the lady that my daughter had left her bear in the cabin (I said "my daughter" but I think it was just as much my fault!!) and we were quite upset about it. The lady got on the radio to the lost and found department... she told them that we were looking for a lost BROWN teddy bear that was left on the FLOOR of our cabin... OMG!!! I kept telling the lady "he's tan, not brown and he wasn't on the floor... he was in her bed... he'd be mixed in with the covers!" but that woman wouldn't call the lost and found person back...

so then she tells me that I can't wait there, that I have to walk across the road and wait on the other side... and she'll signal me when she finds something out. Okay, so I walk over there shaking my head, just knowing that they aren't going to find our precious little Baby Bear because she gave the wrong information.

15 minutes go by... I'm pacing... fretting...

FINALLY!! The lady waves me back over... I walk up to her and she says "They found the bear, they are bringing it down now" YIPPEE!! yAHOOO!!!! And what do I do?? I start crying like a baby! geez!!!! I'm sure the people around me were thinking I was some kind of mental person because I was crying about a silly bear...

They made me go back across the road to wait again... and after another 5 minutes she calls me over again and hands me our little Baby Bear.

I go back to the car and get in and then hand Baby Bear to my daughter... it takes a minute, but then her eyes get great big, and she takes a sudden intake of breath... and says "Momma, did we leave Baby Bear on the ship?" I told her we did and she just hugs him and hugs him.

"Momma, he was probably scared when he saw us leaving our room without him... he was probably saying to us "wait, wait, what about me?" but we didn't hear him and then when we didn't come back he probably got very sad thinking we were gone forever" (she's 4 by the way)

she got me tearing up again...

The rest of the cruise was AWESOME!

Hi that was great. I took your story and changed it as if a little girl were writing about her trip she and teddy had with mommy made it as if it were the eyes of a child childrens story. I think you will like it but it got moved from carnival forum where your story originally appeared to the floataway lounge forum. If you go there you can read it. Also even though it said moved I think you can still read it on the original board I addressed it For Angelsfort. I hope you enjoy it.

This thread should come with a warning label! DD is home with strep and is wondering why Mom is sitting at the computer crying - so I explain about Baby Bear. Fast forward about 10 minutes later - Mom is crying again about Squeaky. I can just imagine what DD thinks I do at home alone during the day.

I'm glad that Baby Bear is back where he belongs. Also, glad that squeaky made it back home from his adventures too.

So happy you got the bear back. I have a suggestion for you. On something so very special and yet so easily lost, get a small bracelet like a medic alert or something like that and engrave that this bear is very very special and not replaceable. If found please call ....... reward happily given, and sew it onto the bears neck

I hope the bear always gives your daughter sweet dreams!!!

THAT is an excellent idea!! I'm going to do that for sure! (and to a couple of other very special animals...)

thanks so much for the idea!!

Did you send a letter to Carnival thanking them? I would even if you don't know the names of those who assisted in the bear's return. Give the name of the ship and the date.

I haven't yet written the letter, but I am DEFINITELY going to... we had a great room steward also that was very good to us, whom I'll also mention in the letter. Our server was more attentive to our table mates, because they were friends of hers... we got okay service, but it was nothing exceptional...

I'm going to send them my "baby bear story" in the letter also...

Did you get names,so you can write a letter to CCL and praise those that helped?

Did you tip the lady?

Are you going to look on ebay and buy another bear as a back up in case it ever does get lost?

I was too wrapped up in the situation to even think about tipping or getting names even... I'm hoping that just giving the date and time they'll be able to figure out who was helping me.

And as for going on e-bay and getting another? that's not really an option, it just wouldn't be the same. This bear came from her daddy - who is no longer with us.

Hi that was great. I took your story and changed it as if a little girl were writing about her trip she and teddy had with mommy made it as if it were the eyes of a child childrens story. I think you will like it but it got moved from carnival forum where your story originally appeared to the floataway lounge forum. If you go there you can read it. Also even though it said moved I think you can still read it on the original board I addressed it For Angelsfort. I hope you enjoy it.

thank you so much! I haven't had the chance to check it out yet, but I'll go find it after I'm done in here! I can't wait to read it! (It will most likely go into our cruise scrapbook also! hope you don't mind!)

I just thought that I'd post a picture of the two of them so that everyone could see! In one picture is my daughter with Baby Bear and the other is Baby Bear with his friend Mr. Bear. (yeah, we're REAL creative with names here... she's got a stuffed dog named "Pet" also... Pet the dog... LOL)

You can click on each picture to see a larger version of it.

DSC_0014a.jpg.fcae52f06729666256b1d97e3735597b.jpg

DSC_0015a.jpg.d06ce2cd835c6fd5f3b2050beff94e0c.jpg

• 7 months later...

UPDATE:

Baby Bear is still talking about his adventure... and so is my daughter.

"momma, do you remember that time we almost lost Baby Bear forever? We would have missed him, wouldn't we momma?"

My DD (8 yo) just asked me why I was teary eyed. I let her read the post and she looked up and smiled. She said that she thinks the little girl's daddy helped find the bear so he could still be with his little girl. That made me tear up all the more.

OP-I am happy that you were able to get your daughter's bear. It is nice to know that people will go out of their way to help.

I was on our last cruise when you originally posted this in October, so I am reading it for the first time today.

I just want to say I am so sorry for your loss. I was so blessed by reading this story!

God bless you and your daughter!:)

That is so great you even got it back!

We wrote off a little security quilt my dd left when she was 2, and I ended up making her a new one, but it's still chopped liver over the one she lost that my friend had made. We have to drive throgh Vegas on our way to visit family and she always points out the hotel we left it in. She's 10 now, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
My DD (8 yo) just asked me why I was teary eyed. I let her read the post and she looked up and smiled. She said that she thinks the little girl's daddy helped find the bear so he could still be with his little girl. That made me tear up all the more.

awww! I'll have to tell my daughter that!

Beautiful story :)

So glad it had a happy ending.

As a dad who scoured an amusement park just getting ready to close to find my daughters stuffed dog once , I know what you went through. :)

That story had a happy ending too :)

Well I am so happy to hear you got the bear back!! You had me and my ds in tears when reading this. I know how special that bear is. My father gave my dd a bear when she was first born. He died three months later. I still have the bear in the same plastic wrap on her dresser. (she is 15 now) She never got a chance to know her grandpa but I am sure when he looks down on her he is happy to see she still has that bear!!

Okay starting to cry again, need to go get some coffee.

Well I am so happy to hear you got the bear back!! You had me and my ds in tears when reading this. I know how special that bear is. My father gave my dd a bear when she was first born. He died three months later. I still have the bear in the same plastic wrap on her dresser. (she is 15 now) She never got a chance to know her grandpa but I am sure when he looks down on her he is happy to see she still has that bear!!

Okay starting to cry again, need to go get some coffee.

I'm crying again now too!