New York Hotel

dotshub

We will be arriving by air to New York the day before we sail. Does anyone have a hotel suggestion that is convenient to the port. We are sailing on the Victory? Might add we have never been to New York. Thanks for any suggestion. Dot

We just returned from New York and it was our first cruise and first time in New York. Our ship left from the Manhatten Pier.

You can really stay anywhere in Manhatten (I'd stay in a three or four star hotel). Cab fare is the best way to get from your hotel to the pier. We stayed at the Intercontental Barley's in East Manhatten booked thru priceline for $158 a night. Very nice four star hotel. Our cab fare was $11 without tip from the hotel to the pier.

BTW, our cab fare from LGA to the hotel was $25. If you're flying into JFK, its a flat rate of $35 to Manhatten.

There is a nice Holiday Inn on 57th between 9th and 10th. It's about a 10 min walk to the pier.

We will be arriving by air to New York the day before we sail. Does anyone have a hotel suggestion that is convenient to the port. We are sailing on the Victory? Might add we have never been to New York. Thanks for any suggestion. Dot

I've stayed at The Skyline on the west side near the pier, three star & reasonable. Google for info and current prices

If you want a true NYC experience stay in Theatre district or near Times Square. A little more $ but worth it for one night. Good food in the theatre district too, restaurant row.

With luggae you won't walk no matter how close you are, plan on a cab anyway.

I've stayed at The Skyline on the west side near the pier

It's on 10th Avenue, which is rapidly gentrifying; there are some very nice restaurants that have opened up in recent years: German, Brazilian steakhouse, Ethiopian, etc. There's also a restaurant in the hotel if you don't want to go out.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be staying in NY for 2 nights pre cruise as I will be travelling on my own I am a little concerned about being in a big city especially in the evenings.

Think I will go out in daylight but eat in hotel in the evening. Hotel is Marriott Marquise in Times Square so wonder how safe that area is?

Want to shop and possibly see a show. Also will be arriving at JFK Airport should I pre book transport or just get a cab at the Airport. Day of cruise the terminal is at Brooklyn so any idea of cost of taxi from the city?

Sue

New York is a very safe city - I don't know why people have the misconception it is dangerous.

If you are stayingin Times Square, it is very safe - it is people 24/7 inthe area and it sure is well lit. You chose a good hotel - enjoy the nightlife!

Take a cab to the Brooklyn terminal, but make sure you have the address of the terminal - many cab drivers STILL don't know it is there.

I will be staying in NY for 2 nights pre cruise as I will be travelling on my own I am a little concerned about being in a big city especially in the evenings.

Think I will go out in daylight but eat in hotel in the evening. Hotel is Marriott Marquise in Times Square so wonder how safe that area is?

Want to shop and possibly see a show. Also will be arriving at JFK Airport should I pre book transport or just get a cab at the Airport. Day of cruise the terminal is at Brooklyn so any idea of cost of taxi from the city?

Sue

Just get a cab at JFK.

As far as your hotel, that area is jam packed with people 24/7 and you'll see a cop on every corner. Don't think twice about wondering around in Times Square after dark. It is the safest large city in the US and per capita, one of the safest in the US.

Don't eat in the the hotel in the evening. Too expensive and many good restaurants near you. Walk up Seventh Avenue to the 56th/57th Streets and you'll find Molyvos (Greek), Redeye Grill (American), Trattoria d'ell Art (Italian), Brooklyn Diner (American) that are all really good.

Sue

the area around the hotel is fine, and is pretty crowded except for say 1-2 in the AM....then it is empty and eerily quiet and peaceful.

Plenty of places to eat close to the hotel....if you like cuban, try Havana Central which is pretty much across the street. Also, Virgils BBQ just past the Good Morning America studios...YUMMY BBQ (if i am in NYC for a day trip, i bring it home!) not cheap by most standards, but reasonable by NYC standards!

www.havanacentral.com

www.virgilsbbq.com

and yes, there are cops all over, and they are helpful! i would have a drink in the hotel but probably not eat there....PLENTY of restaurants....there are chains right in TS (Hard Rock, ESPNZOne, Bubba Gumps and MORE)....plus, McDs, tons of pizza places....you can go nuts! Tell the concierge the type of food you want, and how much you are willing to spend and they will point you in the right direction. There are little pubs all over as well...

www.blaggards.net (had a yummy lunch there!)

have fun.

Thanks for the information I am grateful and am going to buy a guide book to read a little before I go. Not going until the 27th Feb so plenty of time.

Sue

Hi Sue, you will love the Marriott Marquis, it is in the center of everything and very safe. Bring warm clothes for walking around, it will probably be freezing in February.

We were in the Times Square area a couple years ago. I think we stayed in the Travel Lodge or something like that. It was across from a police station and a CVS. We walked to a lot of the attractions at night. We never felt scared. We are booked next year in Radio City Apartments. It has some good reviews. Paying $250 a night for a two room place. Two double (or queen) beds in one room, kitchen/livingroom with a sofa sleeper in the other room. Within a block to the Today Show.

We are spending a couple days there before the cruise.

My sisters and I just got back from 4 days and nights in New York...We stayed in the Edison on 47th street. It is right in Times Square...We are three hicks from the sticks and to say we were anxious about the Big City was unstating it...BUT we loved it...Had a GREAT time...Wonderful, helpful people everywhere...never once felt scared or uneasy. We toured and walked and visited all the touresty sites and had a wonderful "Girls long weekend"..so much so that I have booked again with the Edison for a pre stay before our next cruise out of New York in Sept 08...Enjoy!

Archived