Calling all Denali Experts

GMoney

I am thinking of spending some extended time in Denali, most likely during mid - late June 08. I want to spend some time hiking and exploring the park - mostly day hikes, probably no overnight camping - and probably somewhere between Tolkat and Wonder Lake.

For those of you who have done this, what would be a good number of days to spend in Denali in order to have a good memorable experience? I'm thinking at least 3 days and probably no more than 5.

Any help would be appreciated.

The "ultimate casual" look at Denali (to use an odd combination of terms) for me is - Day 1 at the entrance doing the usual tourist stuff - raft the Gorge, tour the various Access Centers.

- Day 2 shuttle to Wonder Lake (or possible tour right to Kantishna) and back to get a good overview of the Park

- Day 3 hike the East Fork of the Toklat River (get off the bus before Polychrome)

- Day 4 hike at Stony Dome

Those hiking routes get you the best combination of safety with superb scenic and wildlife potential. Weather, of course, will be the major factor in deciding what to do on which days.

Murray

Murray - Thanks for your helpful post. I've been to Denali once before (which I failed to mention - sorry), so I can dispense with the touristy things and tour of the park and get right down to business. Your suggestions for Day 3 & 4 are great. I'll do some research.

Even after more trips to Denali than I can count I can still keep myself amused near the gates. I always enjoy the sled dog demo and rafting, and hikes such as either of the Mount Healy trails are superb.

Murray

Gmoney....

In 2004 DW and myself spend 8 days in Denali. While we use Talkentna as our

base camp and did long day trips, hiking, 4 wheeling, etc, etc into the national

park. We wish we had more time to visit as there so much to see in the

area. If you love the outdoors and wildlife then you be in a mecca of things

to see and do. If you have the time I would personally extend it. Thats

just me for someone who loves the outdoors/wildlife.

Have Fun!

Gmoney....

base camp and did long day trips, hiking, 4 wheeling, etc, etc into the national

Have Fun!

Thanks very much for your post. I'm curious and was hoping you could please help with a few questions:

> What month did you go?

> It sounds like you spent the full 8 days in Denali, and the itme was well spent? Activities didn't become repetitive? I can see how every day would bring something different, even if you are doing the same activity, but I just want to make sure... :)

> Can you comment more on the hiking you did? Any areas to recommed? Sights along the way?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Gmoney....

Have Fun!

This person is talking more about the Denali STATE park rather than the national park. I highly doubt, they drove 300 miles/day back and forth too many times to enter via the Park Road???? And 4 wheeling is NOT allow in the National Park, so that's another clue where they were.

There are some great hiking trails to consider in the state park. Little Coal Creek is great on the way to/from the national park, many others listed on the State park web site.

This person is talking more about the Denali STATE park rather than the national park. I highly doubt, they drove 300 miles/day back and forth too many times to enter via the Park Road???? And 4 wheeling is NOT allow in the National Park, so that's another clue where they were.

There are some great hiking trails to consider in the state park. Little Coal Creek is great on the way to/from the national park, many others listed on the State park web site.

Not 100% correct.

There is only one company which has the only permit from the Denali National Park to do off road, which is Denali Sight Seeing Safaris. There website is

http://denalisights.com/about.html

We used them at were very please with the 4 X 4 trip which was a 8 hour

trip. They have very very strick rules and laws they must follow in order

to keep this permit. They start at igloo city off the highway which if memory

recalls me correct that is around mile marker 185.

The 8 Days did not become repetitive at all. While we were in the area we

did not spend all 8 days in the National Park itself. We spend the 8 Days

in the area doing long day trips every other day. Thus giving us rest time

between these long days.

Yes we did drive and put A LOT of miles on the rental. We only made it to

the main entrance once or two times. Most of the time we spend on

the south side of the park. Entering off the highway and doing day hikes.

All our info was obtain from the National Park office near Healy. One of the

National Park workers gave us a lot of valuable info on where to goto.

I need to find our 2004 Cruise/Alaska info and see if I have some of those

notes for you all.

We were in the Park around July 10th and the weather was very nice.

If you would like me to post a few pics of the highlighs of the trip please

let me know.

Gazing - thanks so much for the clarification and additional detail; it's very helpful. Please don't go to any trouble hunting stuff down; your comments are exactly what I was looking for. I'll post specific questions if I have them. Thanks again! :)

Depending on whether you are going alone or who you are going with, you might also consider going on the Discovery Hike one day with a ranger. Some are considered moderate (under 1000 foot elevation gain), some are considered strenuous (>1000 foot elevation gain). Sign up 2-3 days in advance at Visitor Center. Hike is free but bus ticket costs $28 (2007 price). I think you already know about the buy two days, get third day free shuttle.

Have you considered staying in Kantishna? Skyline Lodge costs +-$180/night - not terriblly a lot more than many places near the park entrance. You can eat with the staff there (they run Kantisha Air). Three benefits:

1) you buy only one camper bus ticket for +-$30 and is valid for your entire stay west of mile 20.

2) you get an earlier jump on hiking and the buses are less crowded heading east early in the morning (camper buses)

3) you have a better chance of seeing Mt. McKinley since it is often visible early in the morning or late at night from Wonder Lake/Kantishna when the buses are not running.

John

John - Thansks very much for the suggestions; I will look into them for sure. I think though I may try Glacier National Park. I'm dying to return to Alaska, but GNP is supposed to be very nice, plus it's a lot cheaper...:rolleyes:

Have you been there?

Archived