Somewhat New to Forum

Donabq

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on the forum for a few months, and between the on-going threads and the Search function, have found a wealth of information on cruising with Oceania. My wife and I are booked on the March 2008 transatlantic to Barcelona.

The experiences related on the forum regarding the value of airfare credits haven’t matched my experience so far. We requested air deviations to allow us to arrive in Miami a day before cruise sailing to remove any risk of air travel fiascos. In addition to the air deviation fee, Oceania quoted $125 per person differential for flying a day early and $325 per person to depart Barcelona two days after debarkation. I asked for the value of the air portion of the cruise so I could look into booking my own air travel. I’ve been advised that the difference between the cruise with air and the cruise alone is only $250 per person. (We’re in an A2 stateroom) This isn’t even close to what has been related by others on the forum.

I’m at the point now of canceling the cruise unless I can find another TA with some credibility. Any comments or advice?

Don

Hi, welcome aboard! About the air; if you do not take Oceania's air, you can deduct the air taxes in addition to the $250 credit mentioned to you. That would come to $250 plus approx. $180 in air taxes, fuel surcharge and ticketing fee. So the credit would be about $430 per person. We are doing the air deviation on this cruise ourselves and are flying from Tampa the day of the cruise, then staying in Barcelona for (3) additional nights. We are paying $75 each for the air deviation plus $125 each to come back on the day and flight we wanted. Hope this helps.

Don,

Have you sat down at the computer, or with a travel agent, and figured out the airfare on your own? Many travel agents are amazing at finding routings that you might not know exist and it may be worth paying one to do your air arrangements. The $250 credit is a joke. Had I gotten the response that you got about the added costs, I would have cancelled the cruise.

We received a $500 per person credit. The air "taxes and fees" were another several hundred dollars each. I was able to book my own air for less than what I would be paying Oceania - and I got to decide on my own flights.

Sounds like you might need a new travel agent. (I don't happen to be one.)

It would also be nice to hear from FDR on how Oceania determines who gets what air credit when.

On an "O" cruise in 2004, we left the travel arrangements with the cruise line and were less than satisfied with our Lufthansa flight from LAX. This year we elected to go to Istanbul several days early and stay in Barcelona at the conclusion several days afterwards before returning home. After considerable research regarding making our own flight arrangements, we decided to take the deviation at $125 each. "O" gave us flights within a day, which we elected to take and our T/A got us seat assignments within a day.

We leave in 2 weeks, so it will be interesting to see how everything works out.

Hi All,

In addition to the air deviation fee, Oceania quoted $125 per person differential for flying a day early and $325 per person to depart Barcelona two days after debarkation. I asked for the value of the air portion of the cruise so I could look into booking my own air travel. I’ve been advised that the difference between the cruise with air and the cruise alone is only $250 per person. (We’re in an A2 stateroom) This isn’t even close to what has been related by others on the forum.

I’m at the point now of canceling the cruise unless I can find another TA with some credibility. Any comments or advice?

Don

I am not sure I understand about them charging a different fee pre & post cruise for the air deviation. Usually they just give a total for the routing.

We only received $250 for the air credit also .

I think the cruises out of Miami & L.A. that is all you get. We got the same amount for our Panama cruise.

If you submit specific flights to Oceania via the TA then there may be a fare differential.

You could always ask what flights O would give you for the dates you want to fly pre & post cruise then decide

You would still pay the deviation fee $75. if you accept them.

I am not sure I understand about them charging a different fee pre & post cruise for the air deviation. Usually they just give a total for the routing.

We only received $250 for the air credit also .

I think the cruises out of Miami & L.A. that is all you get. We got the same amount for our Panama cruise.

If you submit specific flights to Oceania via the TA then there may be a fare differential.

You could always ask what flights O would give you for the dates you want to fly pre & post cruise then decide

You would still pay the deviation fee $75. if you accept them.

I think you're confusing the deviation fee ($75 per person, an administrative fee) with any extra amount of airfare that might be required for the deviation to happen.

When you request a deviation, Oceania will do its best to find flights that fit your schedule yet still fall within the amount they are willing to pay. If they cannot, they will make you an offer with the additional amounts required for the flights that meet your deviation schedule.

Because most of their cruises end at a different location than they start, it is not surprising that that extra airfare amount might be different. Flights from Barcelona may be less expensive than flights to Istanbul, for example.

Oceania determines the flight credit based on the amount they expect to pay if you are taking their "normal" flights surrounding the embarkation and disembarkation days. They no doubt get a good rate on those flights because they have a goodly number of passengers on the same flights. When you request a deviation, you may well be the only Oceania passenger on that flight, and the airlines may not offer as much of a discount. Therefore, Oceania may have to charge you, in addition to your credit. That amount may be different nased on the different locations.

It may even be different for different people on the same cruise, depending on what days their deviation falls and in what city is their home airport.

I think you're confusing the deviation fee ($75 per person, an administrative fee) with any extra amount of airfare that might be required for the deviation to happen.

Don

I understand how O does the deviation airfare but I did not understand why they quoted DONABQ $125.on the outbound & $325. on the inbound flight.

When I requested a flight deviation for the cruise I was quoted $600. and I declined.

You can choose the flights you want BUT you may be charged a fee differential plus the deviation fee if it is not within O budget for that routing.

Lyn

Last year on our Lisbon -Rio flights from Toronto we were quoted 300 for deviation and flights and travel agent declined it. Then they gave us Air Canada flights but were completely missing a segment. Needless to say we declined. Then they gave us the original flights for only the devaition charge. No extra charge for the flights. You can go submit the flights you want and go back and forth several times. Try again and see what you get.

Mo

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on the forum for a few months, and between the on-going threads and the Search function, have found a wealth of information on cruising with Oceania. My wife and I are booked on the March 2008 transatlantic to Barcelona.

The experiences related on the forum regarding the value of airfare credits haven’t matched my experience so far. We requested air deviations to allow us to arrive in Miami a day before cruise sailing to remove any risk of air travel fiascos. In addition to the air deviation fee, Oceania quoted $125 per person differential for flying a day early and $325 per person to depart Barcelona two days after debarkation. I asked for the value of the air portion of the cruise so I could look into booking my own air travel. I’ve been advised that the difference between the cruise with air and the cruise alone is only $250 per person. (We’re in an A2 stateroom) This isn’t even close to what has been related by others on the forum.

Don

I haven't started doing my air deviation with Oceania yet so these details are very helpful.

1) The cruise leaves Miami on Monday, maybe changing to Sunday i.e weekend is more costly?

2) Did you ask for specific airlines or flights? Or just specific days?

Also I think you will have this issue with the deviation plus extra costs on any cruise air you look at. All the major lines say air deviation plus possible extra air expenses for the deviation. But if you have an issue with your TAs crediblity that's something different.

Good Luck.

I bet I'm not the only cruiser who would love it if the cruise lines would consider flying in the day before a cruise NOT a deviation. Since it's so common, I can't help but think that this is a cash cow. Not pointing a finger at Oceania particular: Regent does it too, and it's a pain (although they charge just the deviation fee and honor the airfare or free air.)

I wonder how we could lobby the cruise lines to make this change?

IMO they should definitely allow arrival on the day before embarkation without a deviation fee as a courtesy to all concerned. How many times have you seen pax running up the gangplank at the last minute, ship delayed for late arriving pax, or luggage that doesn't make it? It happens all the time and is a stressful beginning to what should be a relaxing vacation. Unfortunately, I suspect the "Cash Cow" theory is correct. If FDR wants more bragging rights, how about instituting this policy for Oceania? It would give us more to crow about when other cruisers ask us why we are so loyal to O. How do we start a lobby?

I bet I'm not the only cruiser who would love it if the cruise lines would consider flying in the day before a cruise NOT a deviation.

You can already do that ......just book the hotel package from Oceania!;)

Hi:

We are taking The Enchanted Escapades Cruise as part of a group. I asked question about deviation Fee & this is the answer I got from my TA:

Questrion:

"So I understand from this email if we accept your pre & post cruise packages that Oceania will adjust the air at no charge , but if we do our own we must pay just $75 each for air deviation?"

Answer from TA:

Yes this is correct.

"I will waive the $75.00 for the air if we ( Travel agency) do the packages. It is not Oceania that waives this so please do not get mixed up."

We are leaving from Edmonton and plan to arrive 2 days before and stay 2 days later.

Hi:

We are taking The Enchanted Escapades Cruise as part of a group. I asked question about deviation Fee & this is the answer I got from my TA:

Questrion:

"So I understand from this email if we accept your pre & post cruise packages that Oceania will adjust the air at no charge , but if we do our own we must pay just $75 each for air deviation?"

Answer from TA:

Yes this is correct.

Not really correct

If you book your own air there is no deviation fee unless as part of the group your TA is charging you.

If you choose the flights you want through Oceania then that is different.

If you just take the hotel package with the free air from Oceania ...no fees.

I would clarify that with your TA

I would read post #16 from Shari

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=650307

I haven't started doing my air deviation with Oceania yet so these details are very helpful.

1) The cruise leaves Miami on Monday, maybe changing to Sunday i.e weekend is more costly?

2) Did you ask for specific airlines or flights? Or just specific days?

Also I think you will have this issue with the deviation plus extra costs on any cruise air you look at. All the major lines say air deviation plus possible extra air expenses for the deviation. But if you have an issue with your TAs crediblity that's something different.

Good Luck.

OOOps the cruise leaves on SAT so you were asking for Fri? My other cruise leaves on Monday, duhhhh

My online TA is not the best. I was wondering if anyone calls O directly to arrange their air dev? They put a phone number out on the web so maybe they will work directly with the cruiser. Oh yeah, I can't get my O club account setup, each time it asks me to setup the personal info and I do but then nothing happens, and that process repeats over and over. I sent an email twice and got no answer either time.

I am ready to give them a call directly to do the air dev and to see if my club account could be set up.

, I can't get my O club account setup, each time it asks me to setup the personal info and I do but then nothing happens, and that process repeats over and over. I sent an email twice and got no answer either time.

I am ready to give them a call directly to do the air dev and to see if my club account could be set up.

If this is your first O cruise you will not be able to get into the Oceania club till after your first cruise

Have you tried going in through the "already booked" section?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=f0c97e34-9636-47eb-8d9b-acd1bdc66bb3&Secure=True

There is the guest registration form to fill in but I think you have to submit your air deviation through your TA.

Thanks LHT28. Some one said on another thread that they could get into the Club on the first sailing. It did give me a username/passwork just nothing else.

Yes, the already booked does show my reservation just not the cabin. that's what I want to see therefore trying the O club.

And I did get the passport info entered online.

Hurray, my TA is now working on the air dev, more details later.....

Thanks LHT28. Some one said on another thread that they could get into the Club on the first sailing. It did give me a username/passwork just nothing else.

Yes, the already booked does show my reservation just not the cabin. that's what I want to see therefore trying the O club.

And I did get the passport info entered online.

I also saw that message about getting into the club before your first sailing. Our first Oceania sailing is in January '08 and I was able to register for the Oceania Club now. I'm not sure what you mean by "t did give me a username/password just nothing else." When I registered for the Oceania Club I had to give an email address (user name) and a password. Oceania did not supply them.

Here's what I did. I went into the Already Booked section and filled out the guest registration forms for my wife and I. I noticed that there were Oceania Club member numbers in the appropriate box on each guest registration form. I copied down the two Oceania Club numbers, logged out of the Already Booked section and clicked on the "Oceania Club" tab on the home page. I then clicked on the New Member Registration button, filled out the information requested, including the Oceania Club member number, and submitted it to Oceania. I repeated the registration process for my wife. We now both have full access to the Oceania Club.

Did you follow a similar procedure? If not you might want to try the procedure I used. Good luck.

Hey, Dave.

Yep, did exactly the same.

Now each time I go into the Club. It asks me to fill out the guest information. It already had the information populated with what I entered before (very strange) and then I submit it and nothing happens.

No responses from emails to O. Thanks.

Hey, Dave.

Yep, did exactly the same.

Now each time I go into the Club. It asks me to fill out the guest information. It already had the information populated with what I entered before (very strange) and then I submit it and nothing happens.

No responses from emails to O. Thanks.

If it has your information in the club profile you don't need to do anything unless you need to change some of the info.

Under the "already booked " section just fill in the guest registration form for both passengers.

Lyn

I also saw that message about getting into the club before your first sailing. Our first Oceania sailing is in January '08 and I was able to register for the Oceania Club now. I'm not sure what you mean by "t did give me a username/password just nothing else." When I registered for the Oceania Club I had to give an email address (user name) and a password. Oceania did not supply them.

Here's what I did. I went into the Already Booked section and filled out the guest registration forms for my wife and I. I noticed that there were Oceania Club member numbers in the appropriate box on each guest registration form. I copied down the two Oceania Club numbers, logged out of the Already Booked section and clicked on the "Oceania Club" tab on the home page. I then clicked on the New Member Registration button, filled out the information requested, including the Oceania Club member number, and submitted it to Oceania. I repeated the registration process for my wife. We now both have full access to the Oceania Club.

Did you follow a similar procedure? If not you might want to try the procedure I used. Good luck.

Our first sailing with Oceania is Nov 25..

Will you or someone please be kind enough to explain what the "Oceania Club" is all about..Also why would we want to join it for our first cruise?

Appreciate you help..Thanks Betty

serendipity,

I was told you could view your cabin assignment once you logged into the club. If I do my account I don't see my cabin assignment. I like to double check it occasionally to make sure it is not changed (rare but known to happen).

Hope someone else answers your question that can actually get into the club.

serendipity,

I was told you could view your cabin assignment once you logged into the club. If I do my account I don't see my cabin assignment. I like to double check it occasionally to make sure it is not changed (rare but known to happen).

Hope someone else answers your question that can actually get into the club.

If you can get into Oceania Club page then on the left it says "MY OCEANIA CLUB" click there then "MY PROFILE"

It should have the sailing date, booking number etc

EG:1/12/2007 - PANAMA CANAL FIESTA - 16 daysspacer.gif

1125641 4051 C1-DELUXE OUTSIDE

Archived