Bag for Excursions?

I'm thinking of getting one of these two bags to carry stuff around on excursions. I don't want something that will get too heavy throughout the day, but I also don't want to have to carry my camera, etc. separately.

Any thoughts? If not these, then what would you recommend? :)

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=8181&name=Convertible+Boarding+Bag&parentCatId=6&catId=365

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=6326&name=Travel+Messenger+Bag&parentCatId=6&catId=365

Thanks!

I carry a simple tote bag ashore... one that zips across the top for security and one that has a small zippered pocket inside for my cruise card/credit card/cash/driver's license. I put my cards and cash in a business card "wallet" so I'm not carrying a separate purse or even a regular sized wallet. This business card holder/wallet thing will also fit in a pocket for use on the ship or in port. The tote bag I use packs flat and is about 12" X 15" with straps that allow me to carry it over my shoulder. I'll throw in sunglasses, antibacterial wipes, advil, a water bottle, tissue (travel pack) and port guide/papers (usually a map and the daily from the ship... make sure you have the port agent name and number in case you need him). I can put small purchases in my tote bag which keeps my hands free. I don't like anything that goes on my back or is strapped to my body... too hot!

I have this pack and LOVE it. So much. It's wonderful, plus it leaves your hands free to do whatever. In fact I'm seriously tempted to go out and buy another. I got it from the outlet for $29.99, right now it's only $33!

http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2421052&cp=&sr=1&origkw=backpack&kw=backpack&parentPage=search&colorId=

I love this one:

http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/healthy_back_bag_reg_micro_fiber_small/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=3195&rlid=subcat&rcode=798799169156141

I recommend the microfiber, it's cheaper and if it should get wet it dries very quickly.

I LOVE the Ameribag healthy back bags! I have a leather one that I use for everyday.

I also love the Baggallini Messenger bags for cruise excursions and days at the amusement park...

http://www.ebags.com/baggallini/messenger_sling_bagg_rip_stop_nylon/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=18644

I love this one:

http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/healthy_back_bag_reg_micro_fiber_small/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=3195&rlid=subcat&rcode=798799169156141

I recommend the microfiber, it's cheaper and if it should get wet it dries very quickly.

I agree. I love this bag. I have used these for years and love how many pockets they have. It has a ton of space -- you can jam a lot of stuff into it.

Susan

I have a red microfiber Ameribag I use for travel--works great! I can use it with the shorter strap on my shoulder or lengthen the strap to go across my chest if I really need the mobility of my arms (I normally don't like to wear bags that way because of my chest--it's so not flattering:rolleyes: ) I bought mine cheap cheap on close-out at www.sierratradingpost.com the year before last.

If you're sticking just with the Lillian Vernon bags, I think I like the first one better, but neither would fit my water bottle--I need to carry at least 32oz with me if I'm wandering around--I'm quite the drinker:p The front pocket of my ameribag will fit a large bottle, which is one of the main reasons I love it! Plus, when I get home from a trip I throw it in the washing machine!

This backpack is lightweight and holds a ton of stuff. Found this one online at Lady Foot Locker for $3.99. Kohl's has one that has pockets for water bottles around $15, I think.

3040444_l.jpg

I have a few similar to this, and love them. I've gotten all of them free from different places (promo gifts) and plan to take at least one on our cruise.

This is one great bag from Baggallini. It has more storage under the flap. I've been using it as my 'everyday' bag. Great for travel. I also like Kipling brand bags for travel...luggage and bags. Lightweight, so I can overpack w/o the guilt!! :rolleyes:

87376_6_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

Target still has some bright nylon messenger bags in their clearance section. I got a yellow one last night for $8.50. Since I'm crusing solo, I need one that can hold a towel, books, sunscreen, etc and this has a big main area. Must have been 12X14X5.

Had a flap that covered the entire front and snapped at the bottom. Had one external and one insided zippered pockets. also under the flap were a few flat pockets.

Had a long adjustable strap and a leather detachable handle. Looks like it will work for me for the money, and the color will make it easy to spot!

where do you all manage to fit your towels and so forth into these small bags????

I'm not going to the beach;)

I can't use those "backpacks" with shoestring like straps--they hurt my shoulders too much--I need more comfort. For the same reason I don't wear flip flops on shore to walk around, I can't wear a bag with no "support" either :rolleyes:

Now do any of you have children?? I have 2 young DD's and I'm just wondering what you carry when everyone is going to the beach. Our excursions will either be just beach or a tour, not both, they wouldn't be able to handle all that.

Do you then have an even bigger tote bag for all their towels and sand toys??

Now do any of you have children?? I have 2 young DD's and I'm just wondering what you carry when everyone is going to the beach. Our excursions will either be just beach or a tour, not both, they wouldn't be able to handle all that.

Do you then have an even bigger tote bag for all their towels and sand toys??

No small kids in my group but when we DID have small kids we made them responsible for carrying some of their own stuff in small backpacks. We also limited what we brought along. As far as beach toys, we found a paper cup and seashell occupied time just as well as a pail and shovel! :D

My DH would never be caught dead carrying a bag. He always makes me put everything in my bag

Is he Norwegian? Where are you from in MN? Just curious.

Susan

By the way, those healthy-back purses have an incredible guarantee. Lifetime. No, you probably can't stuff your beach items into the purses, but you can get MANY things in them.

Archived