I'm Wondering How it evolved????

sail7seas

How did it evolve that cruise passengers came to expect to be able to have available to them humungous quantities of food; all the things their stomachs' savor; to be able to order three entrees and four desserts??

I realize that when ships switched from doing crossing to cruising, fine dining was one of the things they featured. Fine dining is not the art of stuffing ones face with any food that does not move before you can catch it. It seems today people have huge appetites for tremendous quantities of food while cruising.....do they eat such huge meals at home? Do many folks cruise to eat? Is that one of the main attractions? For some folks who want a shrimp cocktail every night....don't they have a Costa or BJ's or other store in their area where they can buy shrimp and eat them all the time? Big bags of them really are not very costly. They're on sale all the time. Defrost, put them on a plate with some cocktail sauce and a lemon......you can eat them whenever you want.

I'm really interested as it amazes me to see how high some folks can load a buffet plate or line up dinner plates in the dining room.

(Please do not take this as the least judgmental....I am simply curious).

Sail,

I've wondered the same thing, but have no good answer. When we went to an all-inclusive you could eat all you wanted. But food did not seem to be as emphasized by the people there. So I'm also curious as to where this originated.

I have noticed that cruise lines seem to be providing more. On my first cruise in 1990 I don't remember things like 24 hour pizza or ice cream being available. Obviously the cruise lines feel that people cruise to eat, and are marketing it as such.

Most of us go out to dinner at home ....at least occassionally if not more often. We expect to look at a menu and order one entree (and whatever appetizer etc). Why do we expect to order two (and some folks say three) entrees on a cruise ship?

I know exactly what you are talking about.

The one thing everyone knows about a cruise (even people that have never been on one) is that they feed you from morning til night.

there is just something about all that food just there for the taking that makes you just want to pig out (I am NO exception) *LOL*

I am sure its the same way for many at a buffett restaurant at home, its there, it looks good, give it a try.

Ordering another entree in a fancy sit down restaurant as you would in the dining room is another matter (again I am guilty as charged there too *LOL*)

I am sure no one goes into a sit down restaurant at home and has two appetizers and the steak and the lobster and two Baked Alaska.

Not really sure where the cruise lines got the idea or the 24/7 eating orgy, but possibly with all the time you are on the ship and sometimes with two or three (or more) sea days between ports, they figured keep these people full and happy. You might not like bingo, or dancing, or movies, or gambling, but EVERYONE loves to eat *LOL*

I have also wondered about this. On our first cruise in 1982, there wasn`t any lido buffet, all meals were taken in the DR. Room service was mostly used for b`fast or if you were feeling under the weather. The only thing I will have 2 of, is when mussels are on the menu, and even then I feel embarrassed asking for 2. ......jean :cool:

I remember my first cruise on the Song of America. Late 1980s

All three meals were in the dining room only. There were little tables of light foods sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, salads , desserts, throughout the ship all day. But no Lido buffett as we know it now.

There was a midnight buffett everynight, then about 2 am there was pizza. But not the 24 hour pizza on demand they have today.

And there were no "pay extra" restaurants.

Still just like today, we ate well and ate often *LOL*

Sometimes it's difficult to choose just one entry...in this case it makes sense to ask for second entry without side dish.

I almost neve ask for the second entree (I can sometimes even skip entree completely)...but I can eat several appetizers and salads.

My BF loves to eat on a cruise. Actually he's one of those people that are nauturally thin and eat all day long (it wears me out). When we sail he only orders one entre at dinner. However, he had ordered room service maybe an hour before we dine. He eats from sunrise to sunset. It's like a food fantasy for him.

To me, I've been on enough cruises the food novelty thing has worn off. I stick with dining times.

Sail: great thread, It is interesting. We have always chosen to cruise not so much for all the food but becasue of the convenience of not having to carry cash and we know exactly how much we are spending on the entire trip; excluding the alcohol *LOL*

Vicar, our very first cruise was on the Song of America 1989; and you are correct no extra restaurants no pizza joints just good food midnight buffett a (which was more of a show of art than a food frenzy) and wonderful cruising.......ahh the good ol days *LOL*

Vicar,

My first cruise was also Song of America in 1990 (seems like it's everyone's first ship). It didn't have a Lido, but I do remember it having an outside deli type of restaurant at the ship's stern. Also, the midnight buffet was much more lavish than what you find today.

DST

Yes it was very nice :)

I remember my ex wife and I were like 21 at the time we were on the Song of America and every night we would go up to the round glass enclosed bar RCCI ships have in the aft of their ships and have a few drinks and just stare out at the ocean.

We thought it was the most beautiful spot on the ship.

Memories.......like the corner of my mind ...misty water colored memories *LOL*

Orcrone,

You are right.

The midnight buffetts were much more lavish every night (of course the Gala buffett was exceptionally great )

When I was on the Conquest last November, the nightly midnight buffets were nice , but more like midnight snacks.

I believe everyone's on track with their assessments. Ships began offering non-stop feeding some years ago, so that's what we've come to expect. The buffets here in Las Vegas are another good example. "I paid for all this, so I'm going to eat as much as I possibly can to maximize my investment" seems to be the clarion call. I'm amazed at how people here pile their buffet plates literally 6 or more inches deep with food. (They know they can go back. Why be so obvious with their conspicuous consumption????)

I don't think I've ever ordered a second entree. I do remember ordering a different second desert that my DW and I shared because we wanted to see what it was like.

I can remember when we began sailing years ago and there wasn't any Lido buffets - just dining room food - very rarely did you even have a hot dog.

As for ordering 2 or 3 entrees on a ship - never did and never will. Not 2 or 3 of anything.

In fact when we go out to dinner at home (like last night) we each brought home doggie bags - meals were large and neither of us could eat everything. We each did have a salad before our meal. (Now you know what is for dinner tonight - leftovers.) We didn't even order a dessert - sometimes skip them on the ship as well. And when we dine out at home, we will sometimes split a dessert.

We have known people brag about how much they eat on a cruise - as a one person told us one time - "I paid for it in my cruise ticket and I intend to get my money's worth". You know they don't order and for 2 or 3 entrees when they dine out at home.

JHannah

Ahhh yes

Your fair city is also an eaters paradise *LOL*

At home I have a cup of coffee and a bagel or a hard roll with butter for breakfast.

At the breakfast buffet at the MGM Grand. I eat like I just got off the Bataan Death March *LOL*

But I have a little finesse, I make 6 or 7 smaller trips rather than piling my plate mile high on the first go round. Image is everything *LOL*

I am amazed at the plates I see in the Lido - so many left with untouched, uneaten food - what a true waste, IMO.

I've always wondered how people can eat like this and whether they do it at home...

Our last dining experience in the Pinnacle, well we chose to pass on ordering dessert and were really surprised by the claims of, "oh, how could you?" "you missed the best part!" Well, we could because we were both too full to eat anything else - no matter what it was.

It was actually quite easy to get up and walk away from that table without dessert. :)

I think Jim hit it right on. I know for sure I've heard folks comment that they paid for it and they're going to get as much as they possibly can. I can remember my first cruise or two and can't say I was much different. I was almost frenetic in trying to eat it all, drink it all, do it all and came off the cruises in worse shape, mentally and physically, than when I got on. I'm not only older but a least a little wiser now and have discovered how to relax and enjoy our cruises. This thread does remind me though of a cruise where we tendered into the port and the sea conditions were marginal....kind of like a carnival ride.....and I remember folks that went back to the ship at lunch because they'd paid for it and weren't going to give it up.....even if it meant they'd then get back in the tenders and come back to shore. I thought that was just a bit much.

But I have a little finesse, I make 6 or 7 smaller trips rather than piling my plate mile high on the first go round. Image is everything *LOL*
I guess it's a difference of style. I would feel self conscious making 6 or 7 trips. So I bring in the Army Corps of Engineers to build a four foot high retaining wall around my plate, and fill it to the top. This way, after my belt rips in two and my pants snap is undone I can proudly state, "only one trip to the buffet".:D

BTW, make sure there's sweet'n'lo or Equal. I'm on a diet.

I really dislike that "too full" feeling which seems to happen more often and on less food than when I was younger.

I have only ordered a second entree once, on a night when crab legs were on the menu along with something else I just loved. I was upset to realize that the crab legs came with all the vegetables too, and that food would go to waste. Never have ordered a second entree since. A second appetizer? Occasionally.

One of my definitions of wealth is to be able to order anything on the menu in a restaurant, just to try a new food, and not feel badly about spending the money on something I did not like.

Of course, one of my definitions of a worthwhile food is that I do not feel guilty about the calories after I have eaten it :) HAL bread pudding falls into that category.

I guess it's a difference of style. I would feel self conscious making 6 or 7 trips. So I bring in the Army Corps of Engineers to build a four foot high retaining wall around my plate, and fill it to the top. This way, after my belt rips in two and my pants snap is undone I can proudly state, "only one trip to the buffet".:D

BTW, make sure there's sweet'n'lo or Equal. I'm on a diet.

LOL :D - Vicar and Orcrone - you two always crack me up! Orcrone, don't forget your "sugar-free" dessert selections too! ;) A true "must have" for the dieter.

Seriously, it is nice to see HAL offer sugar-free desserts. MIL's DH is diabetic and it's nice he is able to partake occassionally. :)

Thanks for your answers. After I posted the question, I started to dread the thought someone would pounce all over me for asking why they ate so much !! :o !! Personally, I don't care how much anyone (except me and DH) consumes but truly was curious about how it came to be that some folks board a ship as passenger and are taken off as cargo. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your answers. After I posted the question, I started to dread the thought someone would pounce all over me for asking why they ate so much !! :o !! Personally, I don't care how much anyone (except me and DH) consumes but truly was curious about how it came to be that some folks board a ship as passenger and are taken off as cargo. :rolleyes:

On my last cruise I didn't think I was eating too much until the Captain came to our cabin. He wanted to know whether I could move to an inside cabin, because the ship was beginning to list to port. I promised no more buffets if he let us keep our outside cabin.:rolleyes:

S7S

Taken off as cargo????????

Hey I resemble that remark *LOL*

Have you ever been to the Nordic Lodge in Rhode Island or the former Custys . One of these all you can eat places with unlimited steaks and prime rib and lobster.

Good Lord !!!! *LOL*

Some people have to be hosed down between course :)

Orcrone,

You win!!!!!! You have much more style than i have *LOL*

Actually I would be apprehensive to try that. I would be afraid that one of the engineers might take food off my plate. Or perhaps the retaining wall would fall over on me and knock me off the chair and pin me to the floor and my arm would just be out of reach of my plate.

I look at the multiple trips as excercise between courses .*LOL*

Archived