Passport Stamps

rachelsmith98

No one stamps passports anymore. Not even in Europe do they stamp passports unless you fly directly to a city in Europe. If you want stamps, you have to find a place that does it, usually at the local airport or at a post office. When you consider how short a time you have in port, it's not worth the time it takes just to get a passport stamp. And you do not go through local immigration for any island.

I've read on Cruise Critic that you can leave your passport with the purser and he/she will have it stamped for you at the various ports, but I'm not sure I'd choose this option because I want to keep my passport in my possession at all times. I also read that each port has a port agent (the name/address) is printed in the cruise's Daily Newletter) and you can get your passport stamped there. I've never tried it myself, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of what I've read here, but CC people are pretty knowledgeable.

Nowadays, the passports have a bar code that are run through a scanning machine, which seems to have taken the place of the old-fashioned stamps.

I've read on Cruise Critic that you can leave your passport with the purser and he/she will have it stamped for you at the various ports, but I'm not sure I'd choose this option because I want to keep my passport in my possession at all times. I also read that each port has a port agent (the name/address) is printed in the cruise's Daily Newletter) and you can get your passport stamped there. I've never tried it myself, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of what I've read here, but CC people are pretty knowledgeable.

Nowadays, the passports have a bar code that are run through a scanning machine, which seems to have taken the place of the old-fashioned stamps.

i did that...gave our PPs to the purser and they gave us a receipt....due to the cruise being somewhat detoured by hurricane wilm we only got one for haiti when we stopped in labadee...the purser said there was no guarantee....then we picked them up when we were diverted to San Juan and I never took them back....

In bermuda, i walked over to the custome house in hamilton..it's near one of the other piers....got our PPs stamped there.....so now i have 3. my one stamp that i got in aruba was lonely for a couple years!:p

Most people just carry a photocopy of their passport when at a port of call. I wouldn't risk carrying the original around, especially if beaching it. Leave the original in the room safe.

Not sure I'd hand it over to someone to get it stamped for me, either. Not worth the worry that it might be misplaced.

• 1 month later...

We were in the Dominican Republic last Feb. and we got our passports stamped.:p We have been to many ports: St. Thomas, St. Marten, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Caymen, and Belize ---none of which stamped our passports.:(

Happy Holidays!

Dave & Tracy

I love the idea of getting my passport stamped but after living in Europe for four years I only once received a stamp.... I've been in 13, 14 countries since then and my passport is as empty as the day I got it!

It's really sad those days are over, there's such romance in having a full passport!

On my 10 day S. Caribbean Sept 06, I turned my passport in at guest relations. When I got it back I had a stamp from all of our port of calls except St. Thomas which is a U.S. terrority and they don't stamp U.S. citizens there. I forgot to do it this Sept in Europe and Oct in Bermuda.

• 9 years later...

The cruise line that we sail on typically holds passports for all passengers and they are stamped at some - not all - ports. I wouldn't get too excited about passport stamps as they quickly fill up your passport and you need to purchase another one before it expires. Some countries require 2-3 blank pages for entry into the country. IMO, it is easier (and less expensive) to get a small souvenir from each country you visit

The cruise line that we sail on typically holds passports for all passengers and they are stamped at some - not all - ports. I wouldn't get too excited about passport stamps as they quickly fill up your passport and you need to purchase another one before it expires. Some countries require 2-3 blank pages for entry into the country. IMO, it is easier (and less expensive) to get a small souvenir from each country you visit

Thanks for the info! I'll keep all this in mind. Passports are costly as-is

Sent from my iPad using Forums