I suffer from vertigo

zip506

Hi everyone, cruising 24/11/07 from Brissy, on Pacific Sun.

Twice in many years, I had my ears de-waxed by a doctor. Since balance, is controlled within the inner ear, should I get de-waxed again before I take this trip?

Just say I am in the city and want to look up to the top of a building, I need to hold onto something, such as a light pole or hand railing, else lose my ballance!

Will getting de-waxed again, help me to stop getting sea sickness?

I haven't been to sea for 41 years, when as a young boy, I went around the world. The Ellinis from Melbourne to Rotterdam 1965 and the Australis, Rotterdam to Melbourne 1966, Chandris lines both ways).

I only got sea sick once, in 65.

So should I get my ears de-waxed before 24/11/07?

Many thanks, Frank.

Hi everyone, cruising 24/11/07 from Brissy, on Pacific Sun.

Twice in many years, I had my ears de-waxed by a doctor. Since balance, is controlled within the inner ear, should I get de-waxed again before I take this trip?

Just say I am in the city and want to look up to the top of a building, I need to hold onto something, such as a light pole or hand railing, else lose my ballance!

Will getting de-waxed again, help me to stop getting sea sickness?

I haven't been to sea for 41 years, when as a young boy, I went around the world. The Ellinis from Melbourne to Rotterdam 1965 and the Australis, Rotterdam to Melbourne 1966, Chandris lines both ways).

I only got sea sick once, in 65.

So should I get my ears de-waxed before 24/11/07?

Many thanks, Frank.

Frank,

I suffer vertigo and tinitus in my right ear, causing a 50% hearing loss, which requires a hearing aid. To my knowledge having your ears waxed would not cure your vertigo. I have only been seasick once when I was 6yrs old, and have not been seasick since, even with my ear problems, I also travel on planes and have no trouble:)

See your doctor, and only have your ears wax if he recommends, and get someone to do it who knows what they are doing!! the less playing around with ears the better!!!

Chez

xx

Hi Frank,

I have problems with ear and sinus when I travel, mostly air though. Anti-histamine medication works for me.

Chez's advice is 100% correct. See your doctor is the only advice I can give. We are all different.

Cheers

Geoff

I also suffer from vertigo but only suffered seasickness very mildly when we cruised for the first time. On certain parts of the Pacific Sun I felt a bit more wonkier especially in the show lounge & I noticed that going up on the stage for the dance classes or to put my bets on for the horse racing made it worse. I took my Kwells & they worked great & it was never really bad that it stopped me from doing anything.

By the way everyone..I too won the tour of Pacific Dawn next Thursday...I really wish I was actually sailing on her the following day like some of you will be :(

I also suffer from vertigo but only suffered seasickness very mildly when we cruised for the first time. On certain parts of the Pacific Sun I felt a bit more wonkier especially in the show lounge & I noticed that going up on the stage for the dance classes or to put my bets on for the horse racing made it worse. I took my Kwells & they worked great & it was never really bad that it stopped me from doing anything.

By the way everyone..I too won the tour of Pacific Dawn next Thursday...I really wish I was actually sailing on her the following day like some of you will be :(

Yeah Oatley girl good for you!! make sure you try to meet up with us, although you will meet few on board!!

I also remember feeling wonky and unbalanced due to my vertigo up on stage on the Sun, I would get Andy to place the bets cos I felt like I would fall over if there was nothing to hang onto, the sway of the ship doesnt help, but as you said it didnt stop me from doing anything either, I also take kwells for the first two days to get my sea legs:p

Isnt it amazing, you don't realise how many peole suffer from these things, I always think I am the only one so never bring it up!!!

Chez

xx

Yeah Oatley girl good for you!! make sure you try to meet up with us, although you will meet few on board!!

I also remember feeling wonky and unbalanced due to my vertigo up on stage on the Sun, I would get Andy to place the bets cos I felt like I would fall over if there was nothing to hang onto, the sway of the ship doesnt help, but as you said it didnt stop me from doing anything either, I also take kwells for the first two days to get my sea legs:p

Isnt it amazing, you don't realise how many peole suffer from these things, I always think I am the only one so never bring it up!!!

Chez

xx

Hi Chez,

I suffer chronic VB flu especially on Mondays.Seriously i sometimes get episodes of vertigo.My theory as always ...worry about when it happens.After 21 cruises i have never been seasick but trust me one day it will happen.....love the look of the Dawn in its new livery.:)

Cheers

Col

Hi Frank, I have been a bit miserable lately because I have developed vertigo for the last 2 weeks. I never get seasick but my doctor says that I probably will with this Benign Postural Vertigo. Why did it have to happen now?? Anyway, my doc has me on Serc for dizziness as I can't take Stemitil, but I don't really think it does anything because I still get 'wobbly' when I look up or down. Thank goodness I am fine looking straight ahead. 10 days to go, who knows maybe it will be gone by then. My doc did say sometimes you can get it with stress, so maybe it's all the excitement and running around to get ready.

I agree with you Chez..I always thought I was the only one who had it & I to, don't bring it up but its good to know that others on here know exactly what it feels like when you are having an attack..:eek: it's the worst feeling in the world & wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I suffer from labyrinthitis which is worse than vertigo my dr told me where I am totally off balance and cant function on land for about 2 weeks after each cruise. No driving or anything! Had it last cruise 3 weeks ago and still a little off this time and in Nov 2005. I am sorry you have this and no getting wax cleared would not help. My hubby recommended I not cruise anymore due to this reason but I said NO WAY! All the best.

Definitely scrub the Skyrail from Kuranda off your "to do" list !! :eek:

My hubby spent a lot of time on the floor of the cable car thinger to avoid the sensation and bleerrk of looking down, around, up or straight ahead. Longest hour of his life he reckons !!

cheers

nessie

Night before last I did something really stupid, I had my suitcase out and had started throwing things in it during the day, went to bed then thought I hadnt locked the door, so got up in the dark, forgot the suitcase was on the floor, got my foot caught inside the case, lost my footing completely, fell flat on my face:o as I rolled over I got the worse case of vertigo I have had in a long time, everytime I went to lift my head off the floor, I spun out, poor Andy had to come and get me up:rolleyes: the things that man puts up with:eek:

and no, before you all say it, I was not drunk;)

I hate vertigo, but hate my tinnitus worse:(

Chez

xx

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww too much information guys :eek:

Now did I mention when I had my first child ..................... hahahaha

Amazing the topics that come up on this board ;)

Liz, when I said tinnitus, it is a ringing in your ear, constantly that doesnt go:( , goes hand in hand with my vertigo, nothing ewwwwww about it!!!, thought you might have thought I meant tinea:eek: and no I dont have that, haha:)

Chez

xx

Liz, when I said tinnitus, it is a ringing in your ear, constantly that doesnt go:( , goes hand in hand with my vertigo, nothing ewwwwww about it!!!, thought you might have thought I meant tinea:eek: and no I dont have that, haha:)

Chez

xx

Hey Chez - I can cope with tinnitus :) , I can even cope with a mention of tinea ;) - it's the talk about wax that almost makes me pass out :eek:

Hey Chez - I can cope with tinnitus :) , I can even cope with a mention of tinea ;) - it's the talk about wax that almost makes me pass out :eek:

Oh haha, forgot all about the wax, yes we do get off track:rolleyes:

What was the question again:confused: ,

oh well at least Franks knows he is not alone:)

Chez

xx

Hi all

This is abit off the vertigo subject, but has anyones feet ever puffed up on a cruise? :confused:

This happened to me,by day 3, my feet hardly fit into any of my shoes.:eek:

They were normal again about 2 days after we got back :D

Is this weird? Does anyone know why? :confused:

PS Im NOT pregnant!!!!

Hi all

This is abit off the vertigo subject, but has anyones feet ever puffed up on a cruise? :confused:

Is this weird? Does anyone know why?

PS Im NOT pregnant!!!!

My feet don't puff up, but I notice my stomach does and my clothes get tighter :rolleyes:

Usually takes more than 2 days to go back to normal :D

PS definitely not pregnant, if I was I could make a fortune :eek:

Ian

well this certainly goes into the category of the first time asked question:D :D

it wouldnt be a P and O thread without going offtopic at least once.

back to topic and ear wax, i am guessing your doctor would be the best bet for that , trust his advice.

There must be a lot of ear problems as my sister has had severe menieres disease for a while which eventually led her to have all nerves severed in one ear in a 4 hour operation. Very extreme but as she had young kids and lost count of the amount of times she has had to spend in bed not even able to stand without throwing up, hearing loss in one ear is a minor discomfort.

Hi Anissa

We are still looking at booking the sun next year on a 7 nighter to vila etc

DH keeps coming home with a different cruise brochure every day as he has been delivering them all to the TAs.

He even went and saw the SunPrincess in drydock - WITHOUT ME!!!

I think hes really keen.

Will probably get christmas over and done with then book something! :D

Hi all

Is this weird? Does anyone know why? :confused:

PS Im NOT pregnant!!!!

me too!!!!- my feet and ankles got soooo swollen ugh! :eek: and it was very painful to walk. When I finished the cruise we stayed a week in surfers- had to go to doc as it wasn't getting any better. He put me on a diuretic (sp?) and told me it was just fluid retention and humid weather didn't apparently help. A bit of rest and the tabs and back to normal ankles! I feel sorry for anyone who has that permanently...it really was uncomfortable. If anyone has a suggestion for a remedy to this I'd love to hear it to....sorry for the thread hijack! lol

You might try wrist bands - some say it is mind over matter but defintely works for me - for years when flying, in particular, I would suffer from quite severe dizziness (as in sometimes being virtually bed ridden for a day or two) what seems to work for me is to take a sudafed (which apparently helps reduce any inner ear swelling) the night before then the day of flying (and or cruising) followed by using wrist bands (which works on accupressure)- have only had mild if any symptoms since following this routine!

Jane

I suffer from labyrinthitis which is worse than vertigo my dr told me where I am totally off balance and cant function on land for about 2 weeks after each cruise. No driving or anything! Had it last cruise 3 weeks ago and still a little off this time and in Nov 2005. I am sorry you have this and no getting wax cleared would not help. My hubby recommended I not cruise anymore due to this reason but I said NO WAY! All the best.

Oh wow I thought I was crazy:eek: !!! i suffered for almost a month last time I cruised and because every one else said I was nut's I didn't tell any one any more . I didn't go to the doc as I thought he would think Iwas loopy also I love cruising but hate the sea sickness. Even a change in car gets to me.

These boards are so helpful now maybe I won't feel so bad

Vicky,

He does sound so keen which is great. I love to see it when people have such a great first cruise and just hang out for the next one. We have the 2 nighter to Sydney booked for our daughters 18th birthday but apart from that one we dont have anything booked. Would love to but being flat broke for now and Xmas coming...you know how it goes!

We just bought all Thomas's uniforms for school in January so that set us back a fair bit. Hard to believe my baby is starting school and my big baby (I know but they are all our babies forever in a motherley way) is turning 18. I wander if our daughter in the middle is feeling like she is missing out....hehehe (She is going into Year 9)

Love sitting and picking out the cruises I really want! We want to go on the New Zealand 3 week one in Nov 08 so I am praying for a miracle on that one! So expensive it is....DREAMING :)

Archived