Could do with your input please

woodmill100

Hi

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise next May from Vancouver. I have however, found out that I am pregnant so won't now be able to go. My TA said that we will lose our deposit of £400 (approx $800) which I wasn't happy about but that's another thing that goes against us here in the UK.

Anyway, it occurred to me that it's not me that can't travel it is HAL that won't allow me to travel because I will be over 24 weeks pg.

Does anyone think I can argue this point? Even if they'd allow me to carry the deposit forward to say September 2009 when the baby will be over a year old and then we could may be do a late European cruise instead?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be glad to hear them. Might be nothing I can do in which case, tough luck!

It might not work, but if it were me, I would first call HAL to try and tansfer the deposit to a future cruise. My argument would be that when one books a future cruise while on board a current cruise, the deposit is good for ANY cruise we wish to take within the next FOUR years, and may easily be moved from the cruise originally booked on board. This is current existing policy about onboard bookings.

If this is the case, then why could HAL not simply transfer your deposit to another cruise at a future date? Seems logical to me.

I would not attempt this with email, but rather by telephone or registered traditional mail. Also, if your travel agent is good, and values your business, you might put her onto the same course of action.

Hope this helps. I'd do everything possible to avoid the loss of the deposit.

Good Luck!

My understanding, at least in the US, is that you can cancel anytime before final payment is due and receive a full refund.
That's correct ... unless the $800 the OP is talking about is the Cancellation Protection Plan premium. The only way to not lose that would be to book another cruise and transfer that insurance to the new cruise.

... We are booked on an Alaskan cruise next May from Vancouver. I have however, found out that I am pregnant so won't now be able to go. My TA said that we will lose our deposit of £400 (approx $800) which I wasn't happy about .... Might be nothing I can do in which case, tough luck!

Sorry about having to cancel the cruise, but look on the bright side - you're going to be a mom! :) Congratulations!

Hope you can work something out with HAL.

No, the £400 paid is just to reserve the cabin. Not to do with insurance. Anyway, I finally managed to get through to them to discuss and they said strictly speaking I should forfeit the money however, if I we make a decision within the next week about what we are doing we can either cancel and receive a full refund or transfer to different dates/cruise for a £35 fee.

Way better than I thought although I didn't want to make the decision until after my 12 week scan, I'd rather be £400 up!

Thanks again for all your help!

Archived