Celebrity provided air to San Juan - airline and routing - your experience, please

MisterBill99

mrbill99

Just an FYI,

You should check with your airline to see what their policy is re checking luggage. Last year we were not allowed to check our luggage until 4 hours before our flight - which meant we had to keep the luggage with us longer than planned. Since your flight isn't until the evening, I would definitely check with your airline.

Having been to the rainforest in PR, I think the 40 minute drive sounds about right, but be aware, there is lots of traffic in San Juan.

Rita

This is my first posting and I actually signed up to respond to Mister Bill's initial posting (but got too busy).

I was in the same position and actually took advantage of that promotional fare for Cat 4 cabins on the President's week Galaxy sailing. I have family members flying from JFK and its not pretty. They are going on NW via Detroit, and do not arrive in San Juan until after 7:00 pm (leaving JFK at 9:00 am in the morning). On the return they do have a non-stop from San Juan to JFK.

From EWR, my mom, daughter and I have the same routing you do, and coming back we seem to still be scheduled on NW via Detroit. I hope that changes, but if not I'ill pray for snow in Detroit.

We have been on about 9 or 10 Celebrity Cruises but this is our first time using their air arrangements. I was not aware when we booked that we couldn't do any deviations because the fare was promotional. It is unlikely that I will use Celebrity air in the future -- even with such low airfares.

Two years ago I took a cruise out of San Jaun and they had me booked on a one stop Continenal flight through Newark. I showed them that the non Stop from Cleveland was the same price on Orbitz and got them to change it at no additional cost. I just did the same thing for this February from Cleveland to LAX. The had me going thru Chicago and I showed them that going thru DFW on AA was the same price on Orbitz and they changed it for no cost. Do your home work and stick with the airlines they use and you can do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Eightydays, what routing did you end up with? I guess we can meet at the airport and have dinner together on the ship when we arrive late :-).

As for praying for snow in Detroit, that would probably work to your detriment since the ticket is likely marked NW only (my AA tickets are) and you'd have to worry about getting it accepted by another airline.

WE will be going on Galaxy this Friday YEAH!!!!!!

Celebrity got us our flights for 199$

WE leave montreal at 10 am connect in JFK Leave at 1;30 arrive in SJU at 6;20

Yes I'm worried about connections .delays ,snow but in order to change flights it would cost me over 900$-=too steep for me

Let's hope for the best!!!

Michele

WE will be going on Galaxy this Friday YEAH!!!!!!

Celebrity got us our flights for 199$

WE leave montreal at 10 am connect in JFK Leave at 1;30 arrive in SJU at 6;20

Yes I'm worried about connections .delays ,snow but in order to change flights it would cost me over 900$-=too steep for me

Let's hope for the best!!!

Michele

Doesn't look like it will snow in New York on Friday. Good luck and enjoy your vacation :-).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MisterBill,

My mom, daughter and I are still on the AA 10:20 am flight from EWR to MIA, and then 3:15 pm from MIA to SJU.

My relatives in NY are on a 11:00 am Jet Blue flight via Orlando. They are scheduled to arrive in SJU at 6:28 pm, and we are scheduled to arrive at 6:40. We probably will barely get to ship in time to eat before the fire drill. Definitely wouldn't do this again, although my friends in Miami are on a non-stop that gets them to SJU by about 11:00 am, and all for $99 plus tax.

Coming back, we are still on that dreaded NW flight to EWR via Detroit. I am hoping for bad weather in Detroit since we have trip insurance (my apologies to those of you who live in Detroit).

Hi MisterBill,

My mom, daughter and I are still on the AA 10:20 am flight from EWR to MIA, and then 3:15 pm from MIA to SJU.

My relatives in NY are on a 11:00 am Jet Blue flight via Orlando. They are scheduled to arrive in SJU at 6:28 pm, and we are scheduled to arrive at 6:40. We probably will barely get to ship in time to eat before the fire drill. Definitely wouldn't do this again, although my friends in Miami are on a non-stop that gets them to SJU by about 11:00 am, and all for $99 plus tax.[quote=Eightydays;13271620

Eightydays - are these flight arrival times the DAY OF THE CRUISE?????

If they are, I would be freeking out!

I am going to say a little prayer for you and very good weather on the whole country the day of your trip!

Good luck to you!

Hi MisterBill,

My relatives in NY are on a 11:00 am Jet Blue flight via Orlando. They are scheduled to arrive in SJU at 6:28 pm, and we are scheduled to arrive at 6:40. We probably will barely get to ship in time to eat before the fire drill. Definitely wouldn't do this again, although my friends in Miami are on a non-stop that gets them to SJU by about 11:00 am, and all for $99 plus tax.

Coming back, we are still on that dreaded NW flight to EWR via Detroit. I am hoping for bad weather in Detroit since we have trip insurance (my apologies to those of you who live in Detroit).

That is very impressive that your friend was able to get a $99 fare from Miami to SJU that Friday. That is a bad weekend to be flying because of the holiday and prices are high. I guess if you had booked really early you might have been able to find a deal.

I contacted my TA and much to my surprise he actually had a hand in getting my return flight switched. He called because I had pointed out that the 3pm connecting flight was cancelled and we would now have to wait until 5pm in Detroit. Apparently they were aware of the change but had not changed the flights. He was able to convince them that I wanted (and should be given) something comparable to what I originally had in terms of connections, and they switched us to the 6:50pm non-stop. I have a new-found appreciation for my TA :D .

Your relatives flying out of JFK seem like they had a decent deal. Jet Blue is probably nicer to fly than AA (although I can use the AA miles) and they get to leave later and arrive a little earlier. At least they do not have to fly through Detroit on the way there!

We should plan to meet in EWR or at worst on the plane. Email me at my screen name here at gmail.com and we can chat privately.

Archived