Travel insurance

Cruising Jake

I was curious after reading S7S's mention of the Amex Platinum Benefit for med. evac. so I looked into it. She is correct. The benefit is a 24-hour emergency referral program called Premium Global Assist. It does cover as noted for medical evacuation. This is not a medical insurance plan but covers the transportation from one inadquate facility to one that is adaquate at their discression. One must call them for assistance as they will not reimburse if you (or the ship) makes the arrangements. This benefit (making the arrangements for med. evac.) is available to ALL Amex card holders - however the reimbursement portion is a benefit of the Platinum members. A seperate policy for travel/medical insurance would need to be purchased to cover medical evac if not a Platinum card holder. If anyone has specific questions the direct # is 1-800-333-2639

As far as travel insurance (Vacation Protection), from what I've learned through phone calls is this can be purchased and is not a benefit of Platinum members but a convience for all Amex card holders. When calling about this I discovered Access America handles the policies.

I have debated if Platinum benefits of $395 annual fee is worth the amount to me. So far I haven't been able to justify it for my needs.

Thanks for your very helpful post, Maureen.

You get a $150 pp (maximum $300 per cabin) shipboard credit for almost every cruise. There are a few times we have not gotten it but just about 95% of the time we do. If you cruise just once a year, a husband and wife/friend/SO get $300......covers a good deal of the membership fee all by itself. Seeing as we cruise alot, it is very much worth it to us.

There are so many other benefits including Concierge, Fine Dining, Shoppers Assist etc

Each decides for themselves if they get enough from it, but we absolutely do.

I am still hoping that Gizmo will come back and answer everyone's question about what she mentioned but gave no details. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe she is simply busy today?

I hope you use that Limosine service too s7s. And the free companion first class ticket if you fly one of the sponsored airlines for international travel. The one for Austrialia would more than pay for the annual fee. Maybe in 2006 (the year I'm planning to go there) I'll consider upgrading.

Susie - you can include air travel with your travel insurance (including travel guard). Just add the expected amount you would spend on the flight when you set the coverage amount. If using Frequent Flyer points, include an amount for a regular full fare.

From my experience your premium will be calculated on whatever figure you give the insurance company as to the cost of your trip, but if you submit a claim you also have to submit proof of actual out-of-pocket cash payments made for your travel expenses and that is all you are going to be reimbursed. When we submitted a claim for a cancelled cruise we had to send complete verification of everything we had actually paid (proof of our invoice from HAL showing payment and also our credit card statement showing the charge.)

You might list the regular full fare for your flight, but you would then have to prove you paid that out in cash before insurance would reimburse you, would you not? So why pay a higher premium by saying your actual expenses paid were higher than they were, if you can't collect some of that amount?

Peaches is correct. You will have to document your claim. There is no need to over-estimate. In fact, I just received a partial refund on my insurance because I lowered my trip cost coverage. I had gotten a price reduction nearly two months after I purchased the insurance. Therefore, I didn't need the coverage. In addition, I undershot it by about $500 total cost per person because 1) my airline tickets can be transferred to other flights with payment of a fee, and 2) that acts as a sort of deductible. I'm willing to absorb a little in return for a lower premium.

You might list the regular full fare for your flight, but you would then have to prove you paid that out in cash before insurance would reimburse you, would you not? So why pay a higher premium by saying your actual expenses paid were higher than they were, if you can't collect some of that amount?

When HAL changed their travel insurance system some years ago, we stopped buying it. It used to be a moderate amount and one would recover the amount they paid if they cancelled. HAL now forces you to buy coverage predicated upon the full book value of the cruise even though no one actually pays that amount. If the brochure says your trip is worth $7,000 but you only paid $5,000....the premium is predicated upon the $7,000. So you pay a higher premium than if calculated upon the actual amount you paid.

But if you have to cancel and you put in a claim, you will only collect based on the amount you paid for the cruise....$7,000. How in the world can they justify charging premium and making you buy more insurance than you can ever collect?

We would never buy their coverage.

I would never be without travel insurance. I have had to cancel 2 cruises for health reasons and the insurance has paid on each of them. We have Travelex recently since that is what the dialysis cruise line uses. We took several cruises early in our cruising experience without insurance and had no difficulties. However, if there is someone ill in your family or you have health problems yourself, it is taking a chance to go without the insurance.

Georgia

Archived