What's wrong with Jamaica?

clearwaters

My daughter and I had a great time and never felt threatened. We walked from the cruise port and went shopping. We also went to the beach where we met some "locals" We had a nice conversation with them and took pictures with them. When I return I will not hesitate to get off the ship. It is a beautiful place and I am so glad I wasn't too scared to venture off on my own. I will admit I stayed close to the cruise pier because of the stories I had read.

I've been to Jamaica seven times on a cruise ship. We did not get off the ship the past two times, IMHO Jamaica is a beautiful country but the constant harassment from scammers just makes it a hassle that I no longer want to deal with. My motto: JAMAICA- Just Don't Do It !

we did the falls. or I should say I did, she who must bed obeyed did not get in the water but stayed out to take pictures. the climb up the falls was taking forever so after 20 minutes or so I bailed and climbed up the banks..its another one of those tourist things that people do because every body else does

we did the falls. or I should say I did, she who must bed obeyed did not get in the water but stayed out to take pictures. the climb up the falls was taking forever so after 20 minutes or so I bailed and climbed up the banks..its another one of those tourist things that people do because every body else does

I have heard Jamaica is almost ALWAYS warm, so is the water in DRF warm too? Or will we find ourselves shivering? :eek:

I've been to Jamaica seven times on a cruise ship. We did not get off the ship the past two times, IMHO Jamaica is a beautiful country but the constant harassment from scammers just makes it a hassle that I no longer want to deal with. My motto: JAMAICA- Just Don't Do It !

Sorry to hear about your recent experience's airbusdrvr. In less than 4 weeks we will be making our 10th weeklong land vacation flying out of LAX aboard that wonderful AJ Airbus A320 to MoBay. We can't wait to go back!

I haven't been to Jamaica yet, but my cruise (The Grand, departing Jan 19th) stops there & myself, my boyfriend, and the other couple we go with plan on leaving the ship. Yes, there are many stories online of people who have been pestered, offered drugs, ect....but there are also many people who have enjoyed JA and would love to go back (my parents being in this group). The way we see it is that we may never have a chance to see JA again, so we may as well give it a shot. I've heard it's beautiful, so why not at least try it out? We don't want to leave the port and later on regret not checking it out. So we'll get off the ship, do a little shopping closer to port, maybe check out a beach, ect, and if we feel unsafe, go back to the ship. It's better to try, even a little bit, IMO.....but that's just my take on life.....:)

Just got off Navigator of the Seas, Our shore excursion in Ochos Rios was wonderful....Six "older woman" from Florida....we booked w/Peat Taylor.

Felt really safe and at ease with him or "his sons" as our guides....Walked the trail at DRF....it IS Beautiful. We had a private guide with us at all times.

Glad I finally saw JAMAICA and not just the strip near the dock as I had done on other cruises. Thank You, Peat, Would book with him again. Website:

peattaylor.com.

To all those who are terrified of the DRF exit through the craft market.....remember this : even though the sign points you in that direction to exit, you do to have to go that way. You can go out the way you came in, bypassing the market entirely. On the other hand, in any of Jamaica's craft markets, a polite 'no, thank you' (and keep walking) will suffice.

I just read the CIA report on another post here about various countries in the Caribbean Sea. Finally the light came on in my head.

The population density in Jamaica is very large compared to, say, just for comparison sake, the Cayman Islands. Jamaica has nearly 3 million people vs. less than 500,000 in the Cayman Islands. It finally hit me that there were millions of people in Jamaica competing for tourist dollars vs. a few thousand in the Cayman Islands.

Also, the Cayman Islands have the support of the British military. There was no such mention regarding Jamaica. Seems Jamaica may be on its own. Maybe the protective resources in Jamaica are concentrated places like the cruise ship docks, thus leaving the people fewer such resources?

IMHO.

I just read the CIA report on another post here about various countries in the Caribbean Sea. Finally the light came on in my head.

The population density in Jamaica is very large compared to, say, just for comparison sake, the Cayman Islands. Jamaica has nearly 3 million people vs. less than 500,000 in the Cayman Islands. It finally hit me that there were millions of people in Jamaica competing for tourist dollars vs. a few thousand in the Cayman Islands.

Also, the Cayman Islands have the support of the British military. There was no such mention regarding Jamaica. Seems Jamaica may be on its own. Maybe the protective resources in Jamaica are concentrated places like the cruise ship docks, thus leaving the people fewer such resources?

IMHO.

Jamaica, originally claimed for Spain by Christopher Columbus was, in modern times, a British colony, but has been independent since 1962. Yes, there are a lot of people on the island, but remember that the vast majority of them are in Kingston, down on the south coast. Virtually, everyone along the north coast, from east to west, earns a living in some way from tourism, with a few skilled workers employed in industrial settings, such as bauxite mining, or sugar production, etc.

Yah Mon...different strokes for different folks.....We love Jamaica, have gone to Sandals 4 times there. The people were friendly and we felt very safe. Of course, we know it is a poverty striken, crime ridden island and have the common sense not to venture out on our own. We have spoken to people who are lucky to get one day a week worth of work and maybe make in American money 5,000 a year. So if they are pushing their wares on you, they are just trying to make a living. AND you can say NO. IMO a lot of people don't know what to expect and are horrified. But once you realize it's a great island. My husband was injured on a horseback riding excursion on a RCCL cruise. They treated him like royality, taking him to the hospital (boy, was that another story, yikes) paying for his stitches, etc. Then they took us on a entire day tour of the island, free of charge, with food, beer, meet the drivers mother...(had to stop to pee from the beer, so he took us to his mothers house!!) Hit a rain storm and knew we were going to miss the ship.......the ship waited for us 45 min late!! The people are so kind....... just don't go down dark alleys....same as home.....:rolleyes:

Well said - and in the event you need medical care while in the Ocho Rios area, the area hospital is in St. Ann's bay (about 20 minutes away). There you can expect to receive good basic care (X-rays, stitches, basic lab work, etc) but not much in the way of extremely high-tech medicine as you would expect at home. Incidentally, that's not just in Jamaica - facilities in many cruise ports are not equipped to offer US-quality medical care (some are, of course) and a lot of people who are in poor health to begin with fail to consider that when booking a cruise.

P.S. - this is a very good reason NOT to rent a motor scooter !!

The accident happened on the horseback riding excursion. He was kicked in the knee by the bucking horse in front of him. Unfortunately, I was riding the horse that kicked him square on the knee cap. Thank goodness there was no fracture, just a lot of stitches. The hospital looked like a 1950's movie, very old, but was clean. The doctor stitched him up with no gloves on and gave him some funny looking anitbiotics. He didn't take them until her verified with ships doc that they were ok. He got a lot of stares as he was carried in! Not too many tourists there. But he was checked on the ship and back home and was told they did a good job.

The accident happened on the horseback riding excursion. He was kicked in the knee by the bucking horse in front of him. Unfortunately, I was riding the horse that kicked him square on the knee cap. Thank goodness there was no fracture, just a lot of stitches. The hospital looked like a 1950's movie, very old, but was clean. The doctor stitched him up with no gloves on and gave him some funny looking anitbiotics. He didn't take them until her verified with ships doc that they were ok. He got a lot of stares as he was carried in! Not too many tourists there. But he was checked on the ship and back home and was told they did a good job.

Thank goodness he received good quality medical care. Whew!! Somehow, the words "stiched up with no gloves" + "good job" just don't ordinarily go together...

• 2 weeks later...

<P>Just cruised to Ocho Rios on Liberty 12/2/07. By far my favorite port so far.</P>

<P>Vendors are equally as pushy in Cozumel, easily.</P>

<P>I was in a group of just 3 (all early 20's) and we used NO cruiseline help and had no problem whatsoever.  </P>

<P>Caught cab to Dunns Falls ($5pp one way, twice) and both drivers were friendly. Had no pre-booked excursion, just walked up to the counter and paid a CHEAP price to scale the falls (saving easy $20pp) and chose to not use a guide so we could climb 3 times, taking new route each time. Falls are too beatiful and FUN to stay onboard. Quick cab to Margaritaville for a drink, walk to ship and on to more fun.</P>

<P>Were never nervous or in danger, just politely but assertively told the peddlers "no" and didn't have a problem.  </P>

<P>We were offered marijuanna like 50 times (2 of us have dreadlocks, so no suprise) but it's just like the TV commercials...you JUST SAY NO and they go away. Not scary at all.  </P>

<P>Not denying crime/poverty in JAM, but 3 of us with no guides or cruiseline help had a safe fun time. And I realize my review is limited to Falls and port area, but it seemed safe and worth it. Plus the area is beautiful and has twice as many Gold Silk Spiders as Florida!   YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (they're harmless)   </P>

<P>Would recommend getting off ship and plan on cruising there again.</P>

• 4 months later...

Hate to resurrect the dead BUT, for the record, we had a very nice time in Jamaica (Mariner OS March 23-30, 2008). We went on ship sponsored shore excursions (Shaw Park Beach & Dunns River Falls and my daughter/friend went on the 4 wheelers).

We felt safe the entire time.

We just got back from a cruise to Ocho Rios, Jamaica and let me say that our day in Jamaica was GREAT!

We (a family of six) used a private tour to Dunn's River Falls and Reggae Beach. Both were places of unbelievable beauty.

Did we get stopped by locals trying to sell us stuff? Yes. Were they rude? NO! All we had to do was keep walking and politely say no thank you.

If you stay on the ship, you will miss out on a GREAT and BEAUTIFUL island! We did not have any violence, rude behavior or anyone trying to sell us drugs!

Go to Jamaica! You won't regret it!

Our family of five took a private tour in Ocho Rios. The tour included DRF, Fern Gulley, River Tubing and a drop off at Margaritaville for lunch. Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, hands down - Ocho Rios was our favourite port on our Western Carribean cruise. We chatted it up and joked with the vendors at DRF and bartered hard for all of our wooden carvings and musical instruments. Jumping off the 12' high embankment into the White River during river tubing was one of the highlights of our cruise. Our boys aged (8,13,15) remember this fondly and rank this as their favourite cruise excusion.

If you are interested, click on the link below to see a video of the ports of call on our cruise. Ocho Rios is the last port on the video. Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610401

• 2 weeks later...
Heres my take on it all. Crime is everywhere yo go. Get off the boat, have one of the locals give you a tour, give them some money, and make a friend. The reason they get pushy is because theres so many of them out there and all they are trying to do is earn some money. Let a lady braid your hair, they are very good at it, and you will be making someone in a very poor hopeless situation happy if only for a day. JA is a beautiful island with all the same problems that the entire world faces. If you were dirt poor wouldn't you hustle to feed yourself/family? Get a nice bag of ganja roll up a spliff and crank up the reggae. Enjoy the beauty of the island look at it as maybe you might be buying something junky, but you're helping a human soul that is usually full of hopelessness. Someone that lives in a shack has no money, lives off of rice and beans everyday with tattered clothes. They spend their lives seeing these big fancy ships pull in and tons of people wearing nice clothing with money to spend on things most of these people will never be able to have for themselves, its sad for them. Put away the fact that you're annoyed that they "bug" you and throw them a few bucks. Take the address of the kids and come home and send them those school supplies, help change their ideas of what other people are.

That's just about the nicest post I've ever read! Thank you!:) I had reservations about going on a cruise to JA but this post changed my mind.:D

Archived